Speedometer amplifier - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

It Works!

Everything is installed in my GTV6 and it works. I have attached a schematic. It is more relevant to GTV6 so I will post a link to it from the GTV6 forum.
Attached Images

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 07:39 AM

Connector

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaparticle View Post
I would like to buy the connector from the Milano harness that connects to the output connector of the amplifier. Please contact me if you have one.
Thanks.
Ed,
Are you still looking for a connector? I was at P-n-P getting a transaxle yesterday and grabbed the connector for you. Let me know.

Wes
Winner 24 Hours of Lemons, Finally
post #18 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Yes, I would like the connector. I am using a modified trailer lighting connector and the correct one would be a big improvement. Let me know the shipping cost in a PM and I will send you my address.

THANKS!

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke

post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 10:35 AM

Would like to revive this thread:
I have recently put a Platinum transaxle in my Verde so now the speedo reads about 15% high. Got a Dakota Digital SGI 5C and asked my mechanic to spend a few hours on it, but he had no success.
Wondering if anyone has addressed this particular combination and can share details on how it was hooked up?
Many thanks in advance,
Peter
post #20 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 10:40 AM

I have one sitting on the bench waiting to go in for this same setup. I got it working in my '86 GTV6 and was assuming that the wiring would be the same (I'm using a Verde sensor and amplifier in the GTV6), but just haven't gotten around to wiring it up yet. From what I remember on the GTV6 is was pretty simple.

Kevin

Currently Alfaless. Ex: 87 Verde, 86 GTV6, 67 Super, 86 Spider, 88 LeMons Verde
Milano registry custodian(
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #21 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 10:49 AM

I did find some pics that I took of what I did on the GTV6 a while after I had done it when I was contemplating putting the one into the Verde (but didn't get around to it). The pictures are truly awful quality and somewhat out of focus but I can send the full res ones to you in e-mail if it would help. Don't expect much! PM me with your e-mail address if interested.

If I posted them up here I'd have to downsize them and they'd be even worse...

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #22 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 11:03 AM

To expand a bit on my original question, the SGI 5 was hooked up both to the Sender output, and to the Amplifier Box output, and did not recognize an input signal in either configuration (steady green light). This is as far as we got.
post #23 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtvpete View Post
Would like to revive this thread:
I have recently put a Platinum transaxle in my Verde so now the speedo reads about 15% high. Got a Dakota Digital SGI 5C and asked my mechanic to spend a few hours on it, but he had no success.
Wondering if anyone has addressed this particular combination and can share details on how it was hooked up?
Many thanks in advance,
Peter
GTVPETE,

This happened to me as well. I put the speedo cluster from a 2.5 and that solved the issue. It appears all other components are the same, but you need a Verde speedo with a verde TA and a 2.5 speedo with the others.
post #24 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 10:06 PM

If you change out gearbox, match the box with the amp an cluster you took the car from. I remember reading it in the v6 performance manual by jim k.
I put a Ts box in my 3lt, just changed the clusters and amps between them and its fine. Speedo pick up in the gearbox doesn't matter, I used 3lt pickup with all Ts stuff in my 3lt and it seems to read fine (revs at 100kph). I'll find out for sure next week on the road when I get back from holidays.
post #25 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 10:08 PM

Doesn't help people putting 75 boxes into gtv's though...
post #26 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Doesn't help people putting 75 boxes into gtv's though...
That is covered in post #16.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500

post #27 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
you need a Verde speedo with a verde TA and a 2.5 speedo with the others.
Adding to this from the above comments and my former questions:

The above comment is not correct, at least not in my case. In the end, using Ed's diagram as a starting point for the Dakota Digital , i was able to get it all to work accurately. Going from memory, Output 3 worked, with a minor change to the dip switch position from the supplied diagram. Which means, you *can* install a Platinum TA in a Verde, and keep the Verde speedo and amplifier box.
post #28 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 07:41 AM

I finally got around to installing the Dakota Digital SGI-5 I bought a while back. I have a platinum tranny in my Verde so the speedo was off. I did a write up with pictures on what I did and put it on my website:

Alfa Milano Registry - Speedo Fix Using Dakota Digital SGI-5

I ended up using dip switch settings: 1-on, 2-off, 3-off, 4-on. I also chose to use the GND coming in on the speedo wire instead of a local ground. See my site for more details.

Kevin

)
post #29 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 03:21 AM

Compliments for your thread, Alfaparticle!

I did not understand one thing.
Installing a T.S. gearbox into a GTV/GTV6, the Jaeger Amp is essential or can I live without it using only the Dakota Digital SGI-5?

Greetings

Daniele

Alfetta GTV 2.0 1982
Toyota Celica Turbo All Trac 1991
post #30 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 03:51 AM

If the TS box doesn't usually use an amplifier then you shouldn't need it, if that box does use one with he cars it is normally in then you will probably need one.

Kevin

)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode