Milano Race Car Project - ICSCC - Page 20 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 05-08-2012, 10:37 AM

Jay, thanks for coming out to the track and for helping me in the paddock, it was fantastic to see you too. The Balocco is looking mighty fine!

Well, it was a super frustrating start to the weekend with the recurring electrical problem on track. But Sunday at race time the car ran without issue for the entire 30-minute race! I think there were about 8 cars in the ST grid, and even though I was lapped several times by those 300whp cars, due to attrition I almost made the podium (fourth in provisional results).

My best time of the weekend was 1.26.83, which was with the electrical/misfire issue and me driving the car at about 80%. So I do anticipate being able to drop 5-6 seconds when the car is running correctly and as I get comfortable/confident with the car. The class winner ran in the 1.16s. I will post my in-car video as soon as I can.

Cheers. Mirko
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2012, 01:17 PM

Thumbs up Season Opener - Race #1 at PIR

Here is some video (about 6 minutes) of the season opener race (ICSCC, Rose City Opener) on Sunday, May 6 at Portland Intl Raceways. I edited down because there are many laps where I'm pretty much alone on track, then a few total blow-by passes by the entire field of 300HP cars. The laps in this video show some of those passes, just for entertainment value. Not yet totally comfortable in the car and haven't pushed the breaking or corner capabilities. Made a few mistakes, particularly on T12 (entrance to front stright), but had fun and learned a ton about the car. The car ran very well otherwise.

Old 05-12-2012, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfx8898 View Post
Here is some video (about 6 minutes) of the season opener race (ICSCC, Rose City Opener) on Sunday, May 6 at Portland Intl Raceways. I edited down because there are many laps where I'm pretty much alone on track, then a few total blow-by passes by the entire field of 300HP cars.
300HP?!?!?!?!
If that's all you need to sort those bums out.................
Seriously, 300HP is easy 'IF' they let you strap a small turbo or 2 onto you engine.
Failing that, I do believe that Richard Jemmison is the man you should be speaking with for more HP from your NA Alfa donk!
Old 05-12-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duk View Post
300HP?!?!?!?!
Seriously, 300HP is easy 'IF' they let you strap a small turbo or 2 onto you engine.
Failing that, I do believe that Richard Jemmison is the man you should be speaking with for more HP from your NA Alfa donk!
Yeah, but I believe the 10/1 ratio will prove competitive for us, so I'll only be looking for 220hp. And yes, Richard Jemison is already part of this equation. I have a pair of heads and RJR cams in the capable hands of Steve Hannaford, so I can't wait.

Mirko
Old 05-13-2012, 11:26 AM

The Ridge Motorsports Park

Had fun at The Ridge Motorsports Park in Shelton, WA yesterday. Car ran solid all day long!
Old 05-13-2012, 05:20 PM

So, remapping the resistance in the Hal Tech coils and space tape increasing heat isolation solved the problem?

Last edited by Balocco211; 05-13-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-15-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balocco211 View Post
So, remapping the resistance in the Hal Tech coils and space tape increasing heat isolation solved the problem?
I wouldn't call it "solved" yet, but definitely improved the condition. Ran a solid race Sunday of last week with no problem, and pretty much all day this past Saturday. But still esperienced a little bit of cut-out only during the last session of the day, and only mid/top of 3rd at a particular right-hand corner... (now that makes me think fuel delivery)... Argh!

Mirko
Old 05-15-2012, 11:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
300HP?!?!?!?!
Blah blah blah ...

Motorracing is all about how much money you can spend. If I was you I would buy a spare engine (this is a must and I will always have one if I ever race again) and I would slowly build that up as a race engine. At least as this is a spare you can keep on racing , and once it is the actual race engine if it fails you have old reliable to fall back on.

Remember though the more racy the engine is the more you will look at your gearbox wishing it had decent ratios ... so think carefully when you design the engine.
Pete

Last edited by PSk; 05-16-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-16-2012, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
100 hp per litre out of ANY Alfa Romeo engine is definitely possible if you want to. Why we talk about the Alfa V6 as though it is a piece of sh!t and cannot make horsepower I do not understand .

My Sud engine produced 125hp per litre. If I could not make a reliable 300 hp out of a 2 valve 3 litre v6 Alfa engine I would be embarrassed. Surely a serious compression ratio, porting + fueling, cams (thus larger valves and new springs), tuned extractors and balancing is all that is required. To make it reliable, lighter and stronger pistons and rods, etc. might be required but we ran standard Sud rods (after shot peening and balancing them) up to 9000 rpm with no problems.

An engine is an engine (and we do not have the long stroke and old fashioned combustion chamber issue like the Nord engine here, but even Nord engines can make over 100 hp per litre). There is a guy on the FerrariLife site who apparently made a Harley Davidson engine produce 100 hp per litre and they are complete rubbish.

In fact with a 12:1 compression ratio proper cams I would have thought above 350hp was possible.

Would a turbo be cheaper ... don't know?. Motorracing is all about how much money you can spend. If I was you I would buy a spare engine (this is a must and I will always have one if I ever race again) and I would slowly build that up as a race engine. At least as this is a spare you can keep on racing , and once it is the actual race engine if it fails you have old reliable to fall back on.

Remember though the more racy the engine is the more you will look at your gearbox wishing it had decent ratios ... so think carefully when you design the engine.
Pete
I do believe you have misinterpreted what I wrote.
If all his car needed was 300hp, to be at the pointy end of the field, it would be easy.
I would have thought he'd need a bit more than that plus more rubber on the road.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
I do believe you have misinterpreted what I wrote.
If all his car needed was 300hp, to be at the pointy end of the field, it would be easy.
I would have thought he'd need a bit more than that plus more rubber on the road.
Oh, apologies ... going back into my corner .

Pete
Old 05-21-2012, 10:00 PM

Thumbs up Race weekend #2 - Pacific Raceways in Seattle

Interesting weekend... beautiful sunny conditions during practice and qualify on Saturday, and crappy wet slippery Q2 and race on Sunday. We had a bad accident on lap one which brought out the red and black flags, restart after a 45-minute delay. Driver went to the hospital with concusion and broken ribs (recovering well I hear), and car likely totalled.

Two race groups later we lost another three cars in the Pro3 (BMW) class. Here are a few pics taken by a friend of mine:

Pacific Raceways - May 2012 - ericotm's Photos

Here is in-car video of the race, pretty uneventful racing (more like touring) as the horrible conditions forced everyone to drive a bit more conservatively:
http://vimeo.com/42630789

Next race for me potentially at the end of June in Spokane (triple race weekend).

Ciao, Mirko

Last edited by mfx8898; 05-23-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:44 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to ToonRboy Send a message via Skype™ to ToonRboy
Seems odd they'd place you in a group where you're so outclassed. Car looks great and seems to be running well though.

All I can say is that I looks as if you're touring. Hell, I have more competition on my way to work!
Old 05-22-2012, 07:14 AM

Class issues...

Mirko and I put ourselves into this class intentionally. It allows so many modifications to get the cars much faster than an Improved Touring class would. We are enjoying the development of our car, and the comradarie of the other drivers in class who started back pack, and developed themselves as drivers, and their cars as front pack performers.

Reliability is the first goal in a race car. If it's fast, and blows up, well congratulations, you get to go home early. So far we've proven our cars are reliable, can brake very late, (G2 GIRODISCS) and stay with some of the other cars (RSR) in class in the corners. Not bad for our first attempt.

We are also 400 to 500 lbs lighter than the fastest cars in class. This means we only need to build to 225 to 250 wheel hp to be extremely competitive. I have watched more than one vintage race where a little Lotus lays waste to big block Corvettes. David & Goliath revisited.

Stay tuned for more rants.

As for being outclassed... nothing could exude more class than racing an Italian car. Enough said.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:11 AM

Guys, we've explained this scenario and set the expectations for our involvement in this class now for the past 24 months... The bottom line is this year won't really be about "racing" with/against the big boys in class, we knew that going in. It's going to be about testing and proving our newly completed builds, getting a lay of land in the class, and making notes/plans about the improvements/development we'll need for next year.

The class spec is based primarily on a 10/1 ratio, which has not been challenged in class at all yet (the class is only 2 years old). Without exception all the cars in class are virtually identical at nearly 300whp and 3000lbs. They are as excited to see us reach 10/1 so that the spec can be proven, and I believe now more than ever we'll be racing door-to-door with them soon enough. (Heads with RJR cams being worked on as I write this post)

Patience boys. Meanwhile, hope you enjoy the pics and vids. Keep the comments/questions coming... and suggestions too!

Thanks. Mirko
Old 06-04-2012, 10:18 PM

Oil filter/cooler

Been seeing oil temps upwards of 240+ on the track, so finally decided to plumb the oil cooler which is internal to the radiator. Bought a simple 2-hose "collar" from IAP (or Centerline, can't remember now), a couple of barb fittings from Depot and 5 feet of hose... Pretty simple install, let's hope it does the job.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.