Milano Race Car Project - ICSCC - Page 19 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 04-04-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
Mirko,

do you have a part number, or anything details about your Painless Performance switch panel?i"ve decided that it will be asier to start fresh on the wiring of my track car, then try to make heads r tails out of what is there now.

thanks, and great build!
Sure, I purchased the 8-switch panel with circuit breakers (Painless Performance: 8 Switch Rocker Circuit Breaker Panel)
Honestly, I think I could have gotten away with a smaller unit like a 6-switch, but it depends on how many individual systems you want control over. Even though I plan to add a small heater/blower for front/rear windows and lights on two open switches, that will still leave one or two open switches.

Hope this helps. Mirko
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2012, 12:27 PM

Beautiful car Mirko---

You West coast Alfisti really are bringing it. Somehow we have to step it up down here/back East.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-08-2012, 11:52 PM

Quote:
i have a bit of a strange question... how you you operate your doors from the inside of the car?
Here you go, very simple lever-action for the driver door. This is the stock wire bent to shape, with a spring attached at forward end. I reach across my with my right hand and pull forward to open. Will likely modify to lengthen and locate lever further forward to allow left hand push to open. Not pretty, but it works.

MF
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyspaghetti View Post
Beautiful car Mirko---

You West coast Alfisti really are bringing it. Somehow we have to step it up down here/back East.
Thanks Speedy, it was a fun and challenging experience. The guys at Group 2 Motorsports (Group 2 Motorsports: Alfa Romeo, Audi, and BMW Auto Repair Services) bent over backward to make this project happen.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfx8898 View Post
Reasonable question. The rules say all doors have to be accessible from the outside, but not specified from the inside. So only the driver door has been rigged to allow driver to open. Chris Benny has a much more elegant mechanism, mine is just the thin stock wire rod which attached the inner door handle modified with a spring and bent into a makeshift handle. I'll post a picture. And maybe Chris will post a pic of his, it's very nicely done.
Hmmm, I'm surprised that American rules are so IMO lapse here, and I've never been overly safety conscience.

What happens if you have rolled your car on to the drivers door and it's on fire? ... buggered if I would be relying on a flaggy to get to the car and open a door for you.

Also what happens if the drivers door has been stoved in due to the accident and will not open?.

If it was my car I would ensure that at the very least both front doors are operable from the inside of the car ... the extra weight would be only around 2 kgs.
Pete
Old 04-11-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
Hmmm, I'm surprised that American rules are so IMO lapse here, and I've never been overly safety conscience.

What happens if you have rolled your car on to the drivers door and it's on fire? ... buggered if I would be relying on a flaggy to get to the car and open a door for you.

Also what happens if the drivers door has been stoved in due to the accident and will not open?.

If it was my car I would ensure that at the very least both front doors are operable from the inside of the car ... the extra weight would be only around 2 kgs.
Pete
Pete, very good points. I would say climbing out either driver or passenger windows would be my most immediate reaction. But certainly adding the same flimsy lever to the passenger door would actually add virtually no more weight. I will definitely take a look at that. Thanks!
Old 04-11-2012, 11:01 PM

window puch is probably a good investment... that is if you're still using glass
Old 04-16-2012, 08:26 AM
Gold Subscriber

What an amazing thread Mirko! Between you, Jes, and JJ, hours of reading inspiration for the rest of us wanting to do a project like this. Tough decision for me, it is hard for me to justify a dedicated track car for my Verde (which is pretty clean and original). So may just do a street/track version... Anyway.

Stupid question of the day. With what and how did you paint all the interior, suspension links/arms, engine bay etc..?

Derik O.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-16-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCisIN View Post
What an amazing thread Mirko! Between you, Jes, and JJ, hours of reading inspiration for the rest of us wanting to do a project like this. Tough decision for me, it is hard for me to justify a dedicated track car for my Verde (which is pretty clean and original). So may just do a street/track version... Anyway.

Stupid question of the day. With what and how did you paint all the interior, suspension links/arms, engine bay etc..?
Thanks ROC, I agree there are many very good project/bulid threads on the BB, and Jes and JJ's certainly inspired me to take the leap. I also agree with the tough decision of converting a perfectly good street car, and I would probably encourage you to save your Verde and start with a donor/junker car for this type of ground-up build... IMHO.

Your question is a good one. At one point we had absolutely every piece/part off the chassis and body, and everything was first sand-blasted or scrubbed by hand in solvent to clean off grease, grime, and old paint. The trunk, engine bay, wheel wells, and interior were scrubbed by hand with Scotch Brite pads. Then I simply taped off important areas such as splined ends, bolt holes, linkage/couplers, etc. and sprayed a layer of grey primer (Krylon or Wurth's), and then a final coat of Wurth's "battleship" grey (or flat black for some bits).

Group 2 Motorsports were super generous with their shop and shelf space, as I had bits and pieces hanging and laying around everywhere during this process. They have a box sand-blaster and solvent tank, and the chassis spent many many months up on one of their lifts. It's definitely a messy and tedious job that requires a fair amount of space... and the right tools make all the difference in the world! Good luck with your project.

Mirko
Old 04-16-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
window puch is probably a good investment... that is if you're still using glass
Nope, all plexi... even the windshield.

MF
Old 04-16-2012, 11:04 AM
Gold Subscriber

Unfortunately my project is on hold for the moment. We are currently living in Germany for the next couple years and my car is in storage. I was born and raised in the Seattle area and have done a fair amount of biz with G2 myself so I am familiar with their generosity and knowhow. Keep the pic's coming!

Derik O.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:13 PM

Final race-ready weight

Sorry for the blurriness, it reads 2180

+150 for driver.

Ready for race #1 in Portland this weekend. If you're in the area come by and watch. Otherwise, watch it live at These videos are brought to you by Jubitz Corporation, home of the Portlander Inn !

This conference is super fun with a huge variety of car classes, including open wheel, stock cars, tuners, and the hugely exciting Pro3 group. Race schedule can be found here (http://www.cascadesportscarclub.org/...2_Schedule.pdf) if you want to pick which classes/groups to watch and which sessions... practice, qualifing, race.

MF
Attached Images

Last edited by mfx8898; 04-30-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:33 PM

The Seattle Stig

Good seeing you today Stig. 2.5 liters never sounded better. Good luck tomorrow!

DSCN1876 - YouTube

DSCN1877 - YouTube

DSCN1878.AVI - YouTube
Attached Images

Last edited by Balocco211; 05-05-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:21 AM
Gold Subscriber

Car sounds awesome!

Derik O.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:04 PM

Mirko running in 6th position at qualification this morning watch the race live at 3pm-3:3p Pacific Time at:

These videos are brought to you by Jubitz Corporation, home of the Portlander Inn !

These videos are brought to you by Jubitz Corporation, home of the Portlander Inn !
Attached Images
File Type: pdf ICSCC - Portland 6may2012 qual group 4.pdf (169.9 KB, 60 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.