Back fire / plenum pop - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Back fire / plenum pop

I think title is the question. How common is it? What causes it? My engine sometimes backfires when I start, and I used to think that the problem is caused by Megasquirt which is not tuned correctly, but constantly I see people talking here about backfires and plenum pops. Is this really normal behaviour for an Alfa V6? I just can't believe that they would sell engines with such a serious problem.

I'm personally not that worried about the plenum popping, but as it causes the engine to stall so suddenly I always fear that the timing belt might jump...

Alfa 75 3.0 V6 America. QV cams, Megasquirt, Crane HI-6, CSC headers.
Alfa 156 JTS

Last edited by Tuomas; 04-11-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 05:43 PM

Since you have aftermarket FI this may not pertain to you. For those of us still running the stock L-jet my understanding is that most backfire issues occur during startup. Any amount of throttle on start up is bad and can cause phenum pop. Well actually you can either have no throttle or pedal to the floor which is the "clear a flooded engine" mode. Apparently the phenum pop is semi-enginered into the system to save the AFM from being damaged in backfire conditions. I believe the rudimentary nature of the L-jet system is the underlying cause of the backfire-upon-startup-with-some-throttle-pressure problem. If, as it seems you are, you are having backfire issues at other time (maybe related to the MS) you are just having to deal with alfa's "solution" to the L-Jet start up issue.

Leonard

Current Inventory:
79 Alfetta SS - Black keeper

GONE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

91 164 L autobox - engine to live on in a 115 spider!
79 Alfetta coupe
79 Alfetta SS - cream parts car
84 spider parts car
67 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - parts car
91 164 L 5-speed - parts car
88 Milano Gold autobox - parts car
87 Milano Verde - semi beater
87 Milano Silver 5-speed (current project)

Last edited by kelly1mm; 04-11-2010 at 05:47 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 05:46 PM
Gold Subscriber

It isn't a problem unless you have air leaks or other issues. If your car won't start with just the key and no throttle you are a candidate for plenum pop. It is not an issue if everything is right. Backfiring is not good, especially if you're monkeying with the throttle pedal when trying to start. Something is out of whack.

Jeff Lang
'85 GTV6 3L, 73 GTV, '94 164 LS

Last edited by aralfa8589; 04-11-2010 at 05:49 PM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 08:43 PM

It is an unusual thing to happen and will not happen if things are correct under the hood. timing, vacuum leaks, mixture richness etc, etc will all effect cold start issues including plenum backfires.

specifically injector seal leaks, or vacuum leaks on the plenum-to-intake runner hoses will definitely make it worse. having timing advanced way too much can also cause this.

Normally there should be NO issue starting the car cold with slight throttle pressure. although it is not needed, doing it should never cause an intake backfire unless something is wrong.

Brendan Schlenker
'83 GTV6 ~ '89 Milano Verde ~ '85 Saab 900T ~ '92 Saab 9000T
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 02:37 AM Thread Starter

It has backfired two or three times, the first time I got really scared that it broke, but luckily nothing happened. I remember reading somewhere that one cause is the cold start injector, which is not needed with ms. To start the engine when it's cold does require some throttle, which you say increases the risk of backfiring. Perhaps I need to look into the cold start settings if it could be made to start more easily without any throttle...

Alfa 75 3.0 V6 America. QV cams, Megasquirt, Crane HI-6, CSC headers.
Alfa 156 JTS
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 03:15 AM
Duk

Garage
Does it back fire when cranking or when the engine is running?

I'm not at all familiar with the Megasquirt software, but surely they have a cranking set up as well as coolant temperature compensation for fuel?
If the Megasquirt is controlling ignition timing and the system has a coolant temperature compensation map for ignition timing, you could also try retarding the cold engine ignition timing a few degrees.

Also, air leaks on a MAP sensed engine management system won't have the negative effect that the have on the airflow meter equipped factory system.

Slowly Progressing Vortech Supercharged 1990 Alfa Romeo 75 Potenziata. Out of Action Twin-Charged 1988 AW11 MR2. Current Daily Driver, The Glorified Taxi 2006 BF FPV F6 Typhoon.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 07:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to m4ff3w Send a message via MSN to m4ff3w Send a message via Yahoo to m4ff3w
Tuomas, you should definitely be able to get it to start w/out throttle. My megasquirt'd X1/9 would start dead cold by reaching in and cranking the ignition from outside the car.

It took some playing, but I was very pleased with cold start.

-matthew
'87 Milano Gold
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 11:49 AM

I never have pops with the VEMS installed but I also used a 164 type intake. but it sounds like you are getting trigger errors.
the old L-jet did not even have a computer at all. it is a wonder it works at all, is it super simple. just some op-amps one shots and a fancy wiper that selects tuned resistors for that motor. (yep the VE map is in the AFM)

on the bright side you should not have a flap to damage. So hard mounting/strapping will not hurt.

1987 black Milano Verde, 1987 (made in 1986)blue $200 gold with ABS and LSD
1972 White spider 2000 Veloce
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 01:55 PM

Well this happened to me this week.

Big Bang.

My own fault, thought I was in the junior, pumped the throttle twice and started it cold with half throttle open.

It didn't blow the plenum off, because I had the throttle open. It traveled down the intake hose, split that, separated the hose from the AFM, and then blew the back off the AFM !!!!!!

Not sure if it's damaged the AFM, but ordered a new hose and will see from their.

1989 Alfa 75 3.0V6 & 1971 Alfa Giulia GT1300 Junior

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 02:03 PM

This burned my garage down last time it happened to me. Make sure to key off as soon as it happens and keep a fire extinguisher nearby whenever dealing with a no-start issue. Not to mention having one within reach in your shop at all times.

Graham
88 Milano Verde "Corvino", 91 164L 5spd, 79 Sprint Veloce, 85 GTV-6
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 02:48 PM

Since suffering the pop, it's been a *****.
Occasional difficult to start. Rough cold idle. Splutters on full throttle when driving.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 03:28 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

After verifying that everything is hooked up properly, dist/rotor are clean of contaminants and corrosion, the plugs are clean and adjusted, and fuel flow/pressure is within spec, it does sound like something was damaged during the backfire, most likely something in the AFM. I think I would search for a used AFM. Should be a bunch out there.

Del

Seattle

89 Milano (wife's daily driver since 1989, Shankle Sport)
91 164S (my daily driver since 1994)
94 164LS (~Q) (trip Alfa since 2000)
72 Morgan 27 (water time since 1976)

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 06:43 PM

Agree on likely AFM issue. If you can't find one cheap, see if someone's got a known good one you can borrow just for testing purposes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode