E brake Adjusting - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 03-28-2010, 10:24 PM

E brake Adjusting

Am I doing something wrong?
I raised the back of the car, I loosened the 10mm nut and I proceeded to turn in the 13mm nut almost an inch and Nothing happened when I lifted the ebrake handle. Still the car will roll. Handle went all the way up to its highest position. Is there another adjustment under the center console? I posted another post asking how you get that dang center console off. Now the cables are connected. When you lift the handle you can see both calipers levers moving with nice uniformity. You can even see the pads come in contact with the rotors but no squeezing power. Lets say my pads are worn would that affect the ebrake? I don't know if they are worn, so i am pre asking so to speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2010, 11:38 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazymaan View Post
Is there another adjustment under the center console?
No, the only adjustment is at the calipers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazymaan View Post
Lets say my pads are worn would that affect the ebrake?
Can do. The rear calipers are supposed to be self adjusting however sometimes they don't. When the pads wear the "ebrake" is less effective. In fact, if the "ebrake" takes too many clicks it's time to adjust the rear brake pads.

Properly adjusted the "ebrake" should be effective at just three clicks, if it gets to five, adjust the pads.

There are a few traps in adjusting the pads:
Three adjust one way (eg. clockwise) and one adjusts the other.

The outer adjustments have lock nuts and tightening the lock nuts can change the adjustment.

The outer adjustments should have covers but may not.

The outer adjustments should have 'C' clips to stop the adjuster pulling in instead of pushing the piston (but may not). If the adjuster pulls in the caliper may leak at the adjuster but if you can get the adjuster back out it should stop leaking.

Anyway, adjusting the rears isn't hard if none of the above gets in the way:
Loosen the "ebrake"

Adjust the inner pads so that the disk locks when turned by hand.

Loosen the inner pads until the disk just turns by hand.

Using the special tool (or a socket held with vice grips) loosen the lock nuts on the outer pads.

Adjust the outer pads with an allen key so that the disk locks when turned by hand. If there are no 'C' clips (described above) do not turn the adjuster past the point where the groove for the 'C' clip starts disappearing. If this happens you need to find some suitable "C' clips.

Loosen the outer pads with an allen key until the disk just turns by hand.

While holding the allen key, tighten the lock nut. Check that the disk still just turns by hand.

Adjust the "ebrake" until three clicks is hard on.
[COLOR="Red"]My web sites:[/COLOR] [URL=http://www.users.on.net/~craigf/][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Craig's Place[/COLOR][/URL] & [URL=http://www.users.on.net/~craigf/164_page.htm][COLOR="Orange"]Craig's 164 Place[/COLOR][/URL]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-29-2010, 05:13 AM

Thanks, I will try that. Having no ebrake with a stick car is just not fun.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:54 AM

And... if you have the new style tensioner and let the car roll backwards in gear there is a chance that the tensioner will let the timing belt slip resulting in valve to piston contact.

Paul

Alfas owned/own!
81 GTV-6
83 GTV-6
86 GTV-6
87 Milano Gold
88 Milano Verde
91 164S
77 Alfetta sedan
79 Alfetta GTV(smooshed and ground up)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-29-2010, 09:04 AM

and, click on Craig's 'Craig's Place' link in his signature block and download the shop manual.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.