ABS sensor gap - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 12-26-2009, 01:54 PM
Platinum Subscriber

ABS sensor gap

What is the correct gap between the wheel sensors and the rotors?
Thanks.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government strong enough to take everything you have.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2009, 03:42 PM

The FSM states t = .7mm (.03 in) between FRONT pick-up and teeth, and t = 1.1mm (.04 in) between REAR pick-up and teeth.
Old 12-26-2009, 03:46 PM

Change wheel bearings lately?
Old 12-26-2009, 04:08 PM
Platinum Subscriber

I had a note that the gap should be .035". The wheel bearings have not been changed in several years. I had low output from the FR sensor. Changed it out but the ABS light still comes on when the car moves. Had the gaps at .015". Opening them up to .035" did not help. Even changed out the pump. No improvement. The sensor resistances are all good. I get about 1.4 volts AC from the sensors when the wheels are spinning. I am starting to suspect the level sensor in the reservoir. A certain way to get the light to come on is to reverse then quickly go forward.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government strong enough to take everything you have.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-27-2009, 02:01 AM

sometimes when the wheel bearing tolerance is too high, the sensor gap will change as the wheel is loaded/unloaded or is turning, causing the fault light. This is especially the case on the front bearings as they have a coarse adjustment, and is real hard to get 'just right'.

oh and that level sensor in the reservoir is a pain in the butt...I ripped one out of a Buick and replaced mine to get rid of my light.

Last edited by Brendan_LS; 12-27-2009 at 02:04 AM.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:23 AM

Yes that was the case with mine, Ed I'd check the front wheel bearings to make sure the backlashes are spot on.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan_LS View Post
oh and that level sensor in the reservoir is a pain in the butt...I ripped one out of a Buick and replaced mine to get rid of my light.
Do these have a habit of braking down? My brake warning light is on most of the time, and a couple of times the abs-light has also come on, causing the loss of servo assistance.

Where is it located in the reservoir?
Old 12-27-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Brendan, could you please provide more details about how did you replaced the level sensor..?

Thanks, Gilles
Old 12-27-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
My brake warning light is on most of the time, and a couple of times the abs-light has also come on, causing the loss of servo assistance.
This I dont think is a problem with the level sensor, but the electropump/accululator, or pressure switch...but I may be wrong.

Quote:
Brendan, could you please provide more details about how did you replaced the level sensor..?
I don't remember exactly (few years back now), but I think I replaced the whole reservoir thing, as the sensor is inside and can't be removed...does this seem right? My replacement either came from a Buick something or a Merkur Scorpio I found at a u-pull yard...all my ABS has been pieced together from various bits from those two cars. There is a test procedure in the manual to troubleshoot the level sensor in the reservoir...have you done this to confirm malfunction?
Old 12-28-2009, 05:52 AM

Quote:
This I dont think is a problem with the level sensor, but the electropump/accululator, or pressure switch...but I may be wrong.
The level sensor is a two-stage sensor, the first stage illuminates the brake warning light, the second disconnects abs and servo assistance and illuminates the abs warning light.

The accumulator is also bad, but as the light comes and goes very randomly, even when the car is parked and the engine is not running, a faulty sensor or a bad connection somewhere could be the problem.

The car is currently waiting for summer, and I will replace the accumulator before driving it again, so then I'll see if the accumulator is to blame.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.