Pedal Assembly Removal - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 10-16-2009, 09:56 AM

Pedal Assembly Removal

I have a 1987 Milano Gold I am trying to put back on the road, and need to replace the clutch master cylinder. I finally got the nuts off the pedal box, but I can't seem to get it out of the car. The pedal clevises are disconnected, but it doesn't seem to help. Any suggestions? It hangs up with the pedal surfaces hitting the bottom of the knee bolster and I can't maneuver it out.

My only other thought was to pull the whole instrument panel off, but am not even sure how to do that. The cluster is out, but am not sure what else to pull off.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2009, 07:15 PM
Gold Subscriber

Well, you don't have to remove the pedal box to R&R the clutch MC though access to the socket head cap screws admittedly is tight. If you do choose to continue on the direction you've chosen then, yes, you must loosen the dash in order for the pedal box to clear; a much larger undertaking IMHO than R&Ring the MC only. For dash removal (loosening) instructions, do a search for Milano ABS removal but if the IC is out already, I think what remains is pretty simple: two large screws at the base of the windshield beneath the center vent, four or five screws located deep behind the IC and the center control display, four along the lower edge of the dash (one behind the box cubby hole above your left knee [pull it out], one above your right knee at the center console, one on the opposite side of the center console hidden by the glove box [pull it out] and one at the far right side. With these out you can pull the lower edge of the dash to the rear to snake the pedal box out. PITA but doncha just love it?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-17-2009, 06:21 AM

OK, this makes sense now. The Alfa mechanic said something about ball-end allen wrenches. The procedure I was 'following' in the manuals I have seemed to be for ABS cars. I guess I was just a little confused and followed a couple different paths without knowing it!
Old 10-17-2009, 07:18 AM

Being this far along you might as well pull the pedal box so you can clean and lube the pivots.
My Alfa mech said it was the hardest job on the Milano (with ABS) so everthing else will be cake!
I've sone it twice (once to replace pivot bushings and second time to remove ABS) Its easier the second time because you can visulize where the boltse
68 Fiat 850
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-03-2010, 01:19 PM

Yeah, so today I finally (two+ months later) worked on the Milano again, picking one of the coldest days we've had this winter to do so...

I actually had most of the fasteners removed that Graham D had suggested, except for one screw on the far left. You also have to remove the bolt holding the console between the seats down, so you can let the dash console slide back as well when the panel is pulled back. Then, you can get the pedals to clear lower instrument panel. I left the accelerator cable on so I can't remove the whole thing from the car, but I was able to get access to bolts.

I couldn't tell if the console between the seats was held down by a screw and lifted up on it. It turns out, of course it is. I thought the little felt padding in the bottom of the cubby hole was glued on since it didn't want to come up, but that wasn't the case. I don't think I hurt it much, luckily. Hopefully, I can remember where all the fasteners go when I put it back together...

So a small victory today, getting the clutch master cylinder out!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.