External coolant leak in twin-spark - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 06-30-2009, 05:16 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to cliffordh
External coolant leak in twin-spark

I have a TS engine in my 105 series 1750, and it has always (six years) used a bit of coolant due to seepage from the HG under the induction side - very hard to see while everything is installed, but I recently took off the AFM etc. It's seeping all along the length of the HG from just under the overhang on the induction side. No single spots, just the whole side of the engine is covered in dried-out deposits. I would add perhaps 2L of water/coolant each service interval, so it's not a radical leak, but it's been consistently there for years. No other apparent problems over that time.

I was told that this is a common problem with these engines when they're cold (this car gets quite a few shortish trips). Is that the case? Should I care, or just keep topping it up?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2009, 01:53 PM
Gold Subscriber

G'Day Clifford,

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffordh View Post
I was told that this is a common problem with these engines when they're cold
I don't think it's been mentioned on any forum I've read in the last several years so probably not a common problem

It could also be from the intake manifold gasket (or the heater hose connection or the coolant temp sensor).

I know it's a pain but you're probably best off cleaning it up carefully, taking it for a run (to engine at running temp) then pulling it apart again to try to isolate the exact spot.

The alternative is a suitable cooling system sealant and a nice long run.
[COLOR="Red"]My web sites:[/COLOR] [URL=http://www.users.on.net/~craigf/][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Craig's Place[/COLOR][/URL] & [URL=http://www.users.on.net/~craigf/164_page.htm][COLOR="Orange"]Craig's 164 Place[/COLOR][/URL]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-02-2009, 10:59 PM

Photo

Craig,

Mind giving me an opinion where the leak is from? You're more familiar with these engines than I am. The picture is taken from just beside the distributor, looking in and up under the induction side.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2009, 03:11 AM
Gold Subscriber

It does look like the head gasket, but reach in and clean it with a scrubbing brush until it shines then check again after a drive.

caveat: I'm currently stuck using an old laptop with a lousy screen so I can't see much in the pic
[COLOR="Red"]My web sites:[/COLOR] [URL=http://www.users.on.net/~craigf/][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Craig's Place[/COLOR][/URL] & [URL=http://www.users.on.net/~craigf/164_page.htm][COLOR="Orange"]Craig's 164 Place[/COLOR][/URL]
Old 07-03-2009, 04:38 AM

Unfortunately I can't take it for a drive - the problem was exposed during disassembly after rear-end accident damage - someone drove into me while I was stationary last Dec. I have a repairer lined up for Sep, and have to find some panels by then, and hopefully get the car running again by Xmas. With a new HG, apparently :-( Think I'll continue and pull this engine so it can get done while the car's at the PB.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:32 PM
Gold Subscriber

Morning Clifford,

Ok, real computer (been fighting trojans, no wonder the Greeks cheated), real software, can't see anything above head gasket so that's the culprit.

And add a pic or two to the Injured Alfa page.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.