Alfa Romeo Forums banner

The complete SVZ file

493K views 1K replies 107 participants last post by  tim buttkus 
#1 ·
Hi!
For a few years I am working on chassis registers of some limited Alfa Romeo production cars. I collect magazines and books and with help of the www (and Alfabb of course) I have listed some thousand events and photos regarding the Giulietta SVA (Alleggerita), SVZ, SZ, Giulia TI Super, TZ, GTA, GTAJ, GTAm and the Tipo 33. I will try now to write down something about the SVZ but of course it will never be complete. As you see there are many open questions left, not all the cars can be confirmed and I hope I did not make too many mistakes. Please feel free to add information, tell me what is wrong or simply enjoy the photos (I hope there are no copyrights with them, most of them came from the www or from the Alfa Romeo archives). And … sorry for my bad english
Martin
So let's begin

#162 · (Edited)
There are some photos in the photos file on the yahoo alfaromeo750and101 group (NOT alfarome750-101 group) that might be of interest (there are two pages).

I posted most of them a long time ago to the main group, but they were transfered to the 2nd group by Lew and others.

The second yahoo alfa giulietta group group was created some time ago because there was no more storage room in the files of the main group. It seems a large number of people are unaware this second group (alfaromeo750and101) even exists!! The link below is to the photos section in that group.

http://autos.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/alfaromeo750and101/photos

look in the specific photo file named historical/Stuart Schaller

I think some have been looking for this photo I originally posted to the main yahoo group, and was later transfered to the 2nd yahoo group:

http://f9g.yahoofs.com/groups/g_5019057/f68f/__sr_/247f.jpg?grA34yFBTlCSEZZH

#163 ·
Sorry but I have an OT question for the folks engaged with this thread that may not notice it elsewhere. Does anyone know about the blue '58 Giulietta Sprint Veloce at VSOC? Condition, completeness, history, price, etc. Please PM me to keep this further off this excellent thread. Thanks, George

(or knows of a more interesting Sprint available . . . .)

#164 ·
No, but it sure looks good! I posted a link to their website earlier this morning in the sale section here, as I found the giulietta and 6c2500 they have for sale by accident.

I also found that there is a very early 750 berlina that looks like it is all there, on e-bay, which I mentioned in a seperate thread in the giulietta forum here....

#169 ·
The consequences of a crash, it is what has been reviled, trough the great initiative martinue took, when he opened this tread.
It all started when de Priolo crashed during MM 1956.
Here is a picture of the car chassis 1944, after the crash. It is understandable that it was easier to make a new body, than doing a repair of the wreck.

Attachments

#177 ·
martinue Post 18 #04718 -some additional pictures
The Goccia designed by Mischelotti and the engine prepared by Conrero for driver Francesco De Leonibus , on the Monza it did 272 Km/h, quite impressive with a 1,3L engine
On the Monza it outpaced all the SVZ, until the gearbox gave in.

Attachments

#180 ·
Sorry , but I am certain that you are out of line, and has miss interpreted the picture. Conrero used this cover on his prepared engines. And this one don't look diff from other pictures I have seen of Conrero Giulietta engines.

Another thing, does anybody know this book.

Alfa Romeo Giulietta SV-SVZ-SS-SZ
Autor: Donald Hughes e Vito Witting da Prato
Publicat de: Giorgio Nada Published by, Milano
Anul: 1990

#181 ·
The Conrero "Goccia" car was in an auction about a year ago, and it even mentioned that it was not the original motor. I also think it mentioned that fact in the article on the car that was in an English magazine.

The Witting da Prato is a book all giulietta people should have, but it's now become quite difficult to find and sells for around $100...

#182 ·
I am sorry Stu, but you have to be more specific in you comments.
The pictures I posted is from Auto Italia June 2004 including the picture of the engine, I suppose its that English Magazine you refer to.
In the article there is no reference to engine number, but neither any statement of an "fake" engine.
It is given that the engine job was done by Riccardo Michi employed by Conrero and the output was 130 HP. Conrero probably used all his experience from the Formel 1 engine he had produced on the Giulietta parts.
Chassis 4718 got this new body and engine in 1961, late in connection with the SVZ in general. And the body had a weight of 750KG
It had its debut in the Coppa Ascari 6 hours race at Monza in 1961, and outclassed all the SVZ and the Official Alfa Romeo SZ with Sanesi at the wheel, until it had gearbox problems and ended in 7 place.

In many ways this is a interesting car, first of all it is Build at Carrozzeria Michelotti, not many cars was build at Carrozzeria Mischelitti. He designed more than 1200 cars, and I think he is the most successful Italian designer regarding the number of designs he was able to get on the road.
But it is also interesting in relation to Conrero.
We know at this time, 1961, that Alfa Romeo is going to official re-enter to racing activities in connection with the new 1600 ccm. range, the Giulia. Zagato began working on the new chassis for the car, probably, back in 1959, with the Chassis 105.10. I am thinking of the TZ
se tread http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=36936

Luraghi had taken the seat as General Manager, the plans for the new factory the Arese Plant was released in 1960.
In that atmosphere of regained self confidence by Alfa Romeo, there was the question whom should run the new Alfa Romeo Razing Team.
I am of the opinion that Conrero did expect him selves as the obvious choice for the job. He had close relations to Alfa Romeo since the introduction of the 1900, and had more or less been the official tuner of the Giuliatta.
So I think that Conrero used this "Goccia" (Goccia means teardrop) to promote him selves in connection with the new racing activity from Alfa Romeo.
It is clear that after the Racing Activity was given to Autodelta, Conrero turned away from Alfa Romeo toward Simca and Renault in France, and later to Opel in Germany

Its a lot of assumptions, but I don't think far away from reality

#183 · (Edited)
#191 ·
My excuse George J, just to tease you, I think there is a diff to a race
prepared Goccia from 1961 and to you SZ. Stating that without having the
slightest knowledge to you SZ.
But it is generally stated by diff sources,that the Goccia outclassed the SZ
on that day,until it got problems with the gear box.
And in general,we do have a problem,we wasnt there.And we have to relay to
the written info that is available. Some sources has diff. statements in
diff media.
My source is Auto Italia June 2004, as stated previsly. To my knowledge its
a a serius magasine and generaly akknowledg as souch.

#193 ·
You are quite right we were not there. My SZ has been a race car since it's first owners, although the race documentation I have is sparse. When Donald Hughes wrote in his book about the differences between the stock motor, Conrero tuned motors, and Faccetti tuned motors he refered to details on my car for the latter. At the time he was writing it he owned the car I have now. I haven't looked at it for a while but if I remember correctly the Conrero tuned motors had a slight edge. That said my (current) motor is a mildly race preped 1.5 L (the original Facetti tuned motor is not in the car). I imagine it puts out a similar power to a highly tuned 1.3 L motor. It has served well both in vintage racing as well as tour events and road use. In tours the speedo/odometer has prove quite accurate. I have a hard time seeing these cars (SVZ, SZ, or Goccia) go too much over 210 or 215. Cheers, George (o_v_o)

Attachments

#200 ·
Thank you GTV 2000, but I don't think that I can use that excuse, with a typing error. I have been back to find the article ,and I must admit I made an calculation error for witch I excuse. The Goccia did 135 mph acceding article, will post some copies to morrow. It seems that I have used something over 2, instead 1,6 to calculate from MPh to KMH.
Sorry.
The output from engine was 130 hp at 7700 rpm according to article. But when we are talking of hp. We shall remember the diff. between SAE-DIN-CUNA
On the other hand it appreciate me, that George J reviled some info about his SZ, the info about a Faccetti tuned engine sound interesting. Do you have more info.
I have personally seen 8000 rpm in a Berlina TI, without engine injury, and I have understood the 8000 is no problem with a 1300 engine, from people the race Giuliettas

#201 ·
I find 135mph believable. I have shifted at 8000 numorous times on the track, and have run a bit beyond when the situation demanded. Mine is a super well built motor so I do not worry about that. The segment in Hughes book has a nice table comparing the motors. Cheers, George