TZ2 replica possibilities - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 03:59 AM Thread Starter

TZ2 replica possibilities

Greetings,

I have been giving a bit of thought to building a replica of some description and the ultimate for me would be either a 33 Daytona or Stradale coupe - but to achieve that to a very high standard is going to be extremely costly. The chances of actually locating a Montreal engine are pretty slim (let alone a genuine flat plane crank Autodelta V8) and a Colotti gearbox. Googling around I found references to 2 or 3 outfits that are building replicas no doubt with varying degrees of quality.

I came to the conclusion that a TZ2 coupe would actually be a bit (at least) easier to recreate. My idea here is to build a close interpretation with minor modern comforts using mostly fairly easy to get parts. Another reason is the similarity of the layout compared to clubmans/locost kit cars that are very popular. Apparently accurate CAD designs of the TZ2 are publicly available, although I'm yet to view a copy - if anyone has DXF files, please get in touch. NOTAR Cars claim to be making replicas to a high standard although their website has not been updated since 2005. Does anyone know if they are still in operation?

My aim is not to build an exact copy - but a replica that can be used and registered on the road and possible used for occasional track sessions.

Here is a summary of my ideas for a TZ2 replica:
- tubular space frame based 99% on the original car but with increased tubing wall thickness to increase strength of chassis
- utilise Alfa 75 twin spark engine, 105 series gearbox, steering column and possibly 105 series live axle - I would like to consider an independent set up with inboard brakes however I can't think of any readily available options for this - perhaps Fiat 130/131?
- the twin spark engine would be standard to get the car through inspection/registration
- utilise a modern AC kit as the car would no doubt be a bit of a greenhouse and I live in a hot climate (South Australia)
- fibre glass body - my Alfa history book collection indicates that the first TZ2 was constructed in alloy and subsequent cars were made in fibre glass using a moulds from the original prototype, so a fibre glass body is not technically "inaccurate". That said, I'm not put off on the idea of creating a hand formed aluminium body.

If someone already has body moulds and is willing to sell a complete shell then at least some of the hard work has been done. Other concerns include:
- windscreen / rear screen - are recreations available?
- wheels? Does anyone make replicas of the original wheels? I believe at least one TZ2 had larger wheel arches and was fitted with Tipo 33 type wheels too.
- suspension - this will probably be custom made to suit the chassis. Spring rates and shock absorbers will need to be carefully considered.
- internal and external trim
- instruments, lighting - lenses and fittings for various Italian brands seem to be still available if one searches hard enough (Carello, Siem, Jaeger etc)
- seats - I have found a classic car seat manufacture that builds something similar to what I've seen in the TZ2

The more I look into it the more complex the project seems, however I have a couple of aces up my sleeve - I'm technically skilled and already have multiple cars under restoration and can use CAD applications with FEA to analyse stresses and loads on the mechanical components. I also have access to a professional car builder's shop with over 30 years experience with the engineering and compliance of custom vehicles (mostly clubmans).

Comments/criticism welcome

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][U]Daily Drivers[/U][/FONT]
-'91 Alfa 33 series 3 16v
-'90 Alfa 164 3L 12V
[U]Projects[/U]
-'82 Alfasud Ti mid-engine Alfa V6 project coming soon!
[U]For Sale[/U]
-'82 Alfetta Sedan - in bits, take me, I'm free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 07:35 PM
Gold Subscriber

TZ replica

Don Ereminas in Torrington, CT had a TZ replica he was developing. I heard he closed the parts business but was continuing with the TZ work, but that was several years ago or more.

I found a photo here, sixth photo in the top thumbnails:
PhotosDay07
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 10:24 PM

Hi mate, an interesting set of ideas and not with out merit, albeit it would be a difficult journey.

However, just to help you along a little bit, over on the Aus Alfa Romeo Owners Forum, there is actually today a story about someone who is building up (I think) from scratch a tipo 33 stradale. No idea about the mechanicals but the pics show the bodywork to be very well executed.

I am pretty sure also that the are a number of replica TZ2s out there, but how exactly made, the specs I don't know. I do recall seeing some threads either here on the BB or on the Aus forum re this. I have a feeling (could well be wrong), that there is one in Victoria.

Re engine choice, I would have thought best options would either be a twinnie or a 105 engine. The Fiat 130 is a V6 and I would suspect would be far too heavy. It is also very wide and a large motor. The 131 (early ones were 1600 pushrod, so nothing very exciting, while later versions used the classic Lambredi twin cam that was fitted to the 124 sport, spider, 124 Special T, 125, 132, Argenta. And later was slightly modified for inclusion in the Lancia Betas etc. An excellent motor but has no Alfa heritage.

I think in terms of engineering, the design of the chassis would be critical, that is both getting the correct dimensions, let alone geometry right. As far as the bodyshell goes, I would imagine, that with access to CAD etc that would help, but better still is being able to benchmak against a real car, for all the correct details. You might like to get in touch with someone like Phil Nash in the Vic AROCA, as he might be able to help you re your ideas. Afterall I think he has a TZ2 ?????

Good luck, anything is possible if you are keen to give it a go. There is a guy down here in Hobart who over the past year or two has built from scratch a Mercedes 1930s period racing car (can't recall the specific model) but the engineering, the bodywork etc is truely awesome. It runs a Jag V12 motor.

"Sporting blood has run through the veins of every Alfa Romeo produced over the last **100** !!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
years"

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 04:37 AM

all the best to you! Can't wait to see it!
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 07:27 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Don is still in business, and his ad in the current Alfa Owner states: "Home of the TZ Replica". Some nice images here: Alfa-Romeo Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86spider View Post
Don Ereminas in Torrington, CT had a TZ replica he was developing. I heard he closed the parts business but was continuing with the TZ work, but that was several years ago or more...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

George Schweikle

1976 Spider (Dedicated Autocrosser, "SPICA, No Carbs")
1991 Spider Veloce (Retirement cruiser)
Scuderia Non Originale
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Hi all,

Firstly thanks for all the public and private feedback I've received so far - it seems recreating a TZ2 (and the TZ1) is something many have considered, and a few have taken on this daunting task with varying degrees of success.

With reference to ideas for utilising Fiat components above, I was actually thinking along the lines of just the rear differential and suspension components, not the engine, transmission etc from the Fiat 131 or 130 etc. I would like to utilise as many parts as possible. In one instance, someone converted a standard 105 series rear axle to an independent set up. Another option would be to utilise the rear differential and suspension set up of the Alfa 6 as it did not have a transaxle like the Alfetta sedans and GTVs.

I have set myself some realistic targets - my "recreation" will not be an exact replica with period correct Autodelta components - a period engine, gearbox, etc is seriously big money. But I do want to get the body shape and the chassis as close to the original as possible including the independent rear suspension with inboard brakes. I have not made a decision as to go with fibre glass or hand beat alloy - both options will be a challenge!

The biggest problem I have is actually getting access to a real car to take measurements from. CAD drawings appear to be available - but are the authors willing to share?

Cheers.
Benjamin

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][U]Daily Drivers[/U][/FONT]
-'91 Alfa 33 series 3 16v
-'90 Alfa 164 3L 12V
[U]Projects[/U]
-'82 Alfasud Ti mid-engine Alfa V6 project coming soon!
[U]For Sale[/U]
-'82 Alfetta Sedan - in bits, take me, I'm free!
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 10:40 PM

Hi!
For rear differential you can use the Alfa Sei parts: it's a normal diff with inboard brakes and can be modified to wfully ork with independent suspension.

Regards, Alvaro.

subitocorse.com - Digital resource for classic transxale Alfa Romeo cars
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 04:59 AM

TZ2 Replica

Hi all! My name is Pierre KREBS , I built a TZ2 replica with transaxle gtv6 donor parts , it takes more than 10 years to have the car ready but not finished tha was in 2004, it's a long way to fix everything and to develop and fix handling , power .................. This car is not street legal only for track use , so it was a very long and hard time to built this car and it was very expensive !!!!!!!!!
Attached Images

Chi Si Dici likes this.
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 04:49 PM

Hi Pierre

That is some awesome looking machine!

I have absolutely no intention of taking on a similar endeavor but I would be fascinated to know more with piccies please....

Congrats Richard
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 08:43 PM

hello,
i am currently tackling a 33 stradale replicar- i don't have much yet besides the monty engine and a busted-up transaxle but have full prints and engineering know-how. i would love to find someone to build an alloy body on a buck i can provide but if it proves to be too costly i may opt for carbon/glass shell of my own construction. these are not easy undertakings but stick with it mate, in the end it will be worth it!

swerve in az
57 spider, 63 bertone, 72 gtv, nsx
post #11 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 09:49 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Cool

Interesting idea and hopefully--project.

Bob,
Director BC Chapter SNO.
Avatar is the 69 Super, bought new.
Current Ride: 67 Super, bought in 2013: Red/Black, "Tuned" 2 L.
Daily drivers, beginning in 1965: 750 Spider, Giulia Spider, 105 Sprint GT, 101 Sprint, 69 Super, 79 Alfetta Sedan. Collectors beginning in 2006: 101 Spider, 101 Sprint. Both sold.
post #12 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 10:32 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to bshorey Send a message via MSN to bshorey Send a message via Yahoo to bshorey
Holy mackeral! That thing is stunning! You aren't just going to tease us with a single picture, are you? Where can we see more?

bs
post #13 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 03:28 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
I know a guy up here that is an excellent aluminum fabricator. He specializes in Cobras, but is more than capable of working on most any car. He's done several Bugatis that I know of, one of which won at Pebble Beach a number of years ago.

If you have the buck, maybe he's your guy. Give Glenn a call.

http://www.colourrestoration.com/lon...ation--a-1.asp

Brian __________________________________

post #14 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 08:04 PM

Do a search on one or these forums ,there was a guy in South Africa who has done body moulds foe 33 steasale
post #15 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 09:29 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super1600 View Post
However, just to help you along a little bit, over on the Aus Alfa Romeo Owners Forum, there is actually today a story about someone who is building up (I think) from scratch a tipo 33 stradale. No idea about the mechanicals but the pics show the bodywork to be very well executed.
A company builds them. Contact is Christian Giordanengo ... and he is a member of FerrariChat. Just add $'s ...
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode