Trailer recommendation needed - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Trailer recommendation needed

I'm thinking about buying a trailer so I can easily haul stuff now that I no longer have a truck. That made me think perhaps I should buy a slightly larger one so that I can tow the Giulia whenever I need to for whatever reason. Don't want a very big trailer though, and would prefer something with sides if possible, maybe removable. What size works well in your experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 06:26 PM

Buy a truck. Then, rent a trailer whenever you need one. The very thought of a Texan without a truck is heresy. Just sayin' . . .

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180OUT View Post
rent a trailer whenever you need one.
I can see some logic in 180OUT's thinking. I might re-phrase it as: "rent a car hauler whenever you need one".

In your initial post, you wrote: "so I can easily haul stuff". What kind of stuff are you thinking? A trailer large enough to hold a Giulia Super is going to be pretty big. Unless you plan to regularly haul 10 yards of debris to the dump, I'd get a small utility trailer (about the size of a pickup truck bed) for the stuff, and rent a car hauler when you need to move the Giulia Super.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 07-16-2016 at 08:06 PM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 07:35 PM
Gold Subscriber

Rent a truck whenever you need to haul stuff.

Eliseo Carrillo
105.30....Scalino
101.23....Little Green Spider
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 07:45 PM
Gold Subscriber

Hey Peter

So what are you going to tow this trailer with, now that you don't have a truck ? The whole truck & trailer business is really a nightmarish can of worms. The trailer and the trailer towing vehicle need to be well matched to each other.

Any trailer long enough and sturdy enough to carry a car (even a small car) is a pretty substantial trailer requiring an equally substantial tow vehicle. You also need to think where you are going to store your trailer when it's not in use, which is most of the time.

Really it's better to rent both a truck and a trailer when you need them, than own them yourself.

Bye
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 08:45 AM
WANTED: GTA & GTAm Parts
Gold Subscriber

FYI: Quality trailer company...

www.beckercustomtrailers.com

Mark
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milanoguy View Post
Any trailer long enough and sturdy enough to carry a car (even a small car) is a pretty substantial trailer requiring an equally substantial tow vehicle. You also need to think where you are going to store your trailer when it's not in use, which is most of the time.
Those are both good points.

- The dynamics of trailer + tow vehicle can get pretty complicated. In general, you want the tow vehicle to be heavier than the trailer + load. A heavy trailer will push the tow vehicle from side-to-side, and it's tongue weight will un-load the tow vehicle's front wheels. In summary, a light tow vehicle with a short wheelbase won't pull a car trailer safely.

- Storing a car trailer can be a headache. I owned a wood-decked trailer years ago. After storing it outdoors for a few seasons, the wood deck just rotted away. Also, the wheel bearings and light housings always seemed need maintenance after the trailer had sat out in the rain for several months since its last use.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 07-18-2016 at 09:50 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 04:34 AM

Well I'd recommend against any Trailex. It's lightweight thanks to this aluminum deck. But the steel axles and uprights on mine were rusting the day I took delivery .. and continued to rust pretty badly. These are what support the weight of the trailer and car. It's not something you want structurally degrading.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 10:12 PM

Garage
I had a 14' double axle steel and wood deck open trailer that I towed with my old early '90's Toyota 4Runner (3.4L, 180 hp). I hauled a Spec Miata first, then my Duetto race car. Both fit on there, and towed well. Stored it on my property, uncovered in the soggy Pacific Northwest, and never had any issues with trailer maintenance, except replacing its battery. I also used it to haul mountains of yard waste to the dump, and brought home all kinds of biggish things like a vintage IR air compressor, and several motorcycles. I stepped up to a fancy enclosed trailer for my race car, which I have to store off-site, and tow with a diesel truck. Sometimes I miss my old trailer.

69 Spider, 2L, street; pursuit of happiness
69 Spider, 1.8L, race; happiness of pursuit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode