MODERN A.C. in an OLD ALFA (Part 3) - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

MODERN A.C. in an OLD ALFA (Part 3)

I used an Alfa Romeo compressor bracket commonly used on the Spica cars. (Bosch F.I. injected cars have the A.C. compressor mounted low on the right side of the engine.) VINTAGE AIR makes a handy adapter plate that bolts onto the Alfa bracket to adapt neatly to a modern Japanese compressor. How handy! You can see in the engine compartment photo that I opted to use a "modern" multi-groove serpentine belt drive. In order to do that I added a 6-groove pulley off a junkyard BMW, welding it to the crankshaft pulley. I also used a "modern" spring-loaded idler sourced from some Japanese car (have fun at the junkyard!), and a 12" pancake radiator fan from the auto parts store. I already mentioned that I obtained a 24"x 13" condenser from the junkyard (make sure it's a post-1995 so it has R134a fittings). V-A strongly recommends you use the largest condenser that will fit in the car, and that's what I did, and I installed another 12" pancake fan on the front of it. You can also buy condensers and fans from them and other places - - read what V-A says in their helpful catalog.

Getting back to the compressor, you can see it overhangs the original battery box, so undoubtedly in every Alfa installation the battery will have to go in the trunk. Amazingly Alfa provided a recessed battery box in the trunk floor of all Alfettas which was extremely handy. On my car I could also see evidence underneath where the battery cable was to run, and so I was able to have a neat and safe cable insulation outside of the car.

My final photo shows the V-A receiver drier installed on the firewall behind the Alfa cold air box, and a black gizmo mounted on the rear of that cold air box. That is the servo heater valve (from V-A, of course). These parts can be installed about anywhere you desire, inside the engine compartment or under the dash.

Yes, there's a bunch of parts placements, clearance concerns, wiring and "hosing" to do. I spent many hours figuring out how to make it all work, but WORK IT DOES! To answer a big question, all this cost around $2200.

I know these few photos and my description leave out a lot of details, which would vary depending on which Alfa you own. The VINTAGE AIR catalog has a real good guide for installing A.C., and I would be glad to answer any questions one might have about the installation. Since I don't regularly monitor the ALFABB, contact me at mygoose@mindspring.com then I'll probably post replies on the Forum, too.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 02:36 AM

Nice job! You do know you could have put these all in one thread by just replying to it yourself right? Would make reading and following it easier.

Happy New Year!

Kevin

Currently Alfaless. Ex: 87 Verde, 86 GTV6, 67 Super, 86 Spider, 88 LeMons Verde
Milano registry custodian(
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 06:54 PM
Gold Subscriber

Very nice install! I am starting soon on my 81 gtv6 as good a/c in required in gulf coast Texas. I rode in a vintage air equipped gtv6 in Austin and was impressed. Proved wrong my saying that the 2nd hottest car in the world is an alfetta gt without air and the hottest car in the world is a alfetta gt with air

87 graduate, 81 gtv6, 91 164s, 73 berlina 79 Mille miglia GONE: 76 alfetta gt, 74 berlina, 85 gtv6, 79 spider

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 03:52 PM
Gold Subscriber

Nice! How did you get a 24x13 condenser to fit? A photo would be greatly appreciated.

The passenger seat is 15 miles an hour faster than the drivers seat.

currently
74 GTV restored daily driver
71 Berlina in resto
the ones that got away:
1959 750 series Giulietta Spider Veloce
1962 Giulietta Spider normale
1965 Giulia Sprint normale
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Just measured, and the condenser is actually 12-3/4"x 22" (the hole is about 13x25). I am (hopefully) enclosing four photos. The first two are driver's side and the second two are passenger's side (taken through lower grill openings). You can see it is a very tight fit. I don't think you could get one in that is any larger. I had to angle it in from the engine compartment (pass. side). I wanted to use Alfa's built-in mounts, so I cut the (removeable) mounts that were on the condenser and rewelded them in line with the Alfa mounts. Good thing it was that much narrower than the opening as I needed the room on the right for the lines. I had originally obtained this condenser to use in my Montreal, but sold the car first. Amazingly the Montreal opening and the Alfetta opening in front of the radiator are the same size.

The electrical cable draped across it was a late and non-intended addition, as I found out I needed to wire both the radiator cooling fan and the condenser fan to run together to get sufficient engine cooling in hot weather. I didn't want to remove all that stuff in the engine compartment just to route the wiring inside, so I just ran it around the front of the condenser. Both fans will now come on (A) if the radiator switch trips, or (B) if the A/C system (using a trinary switch) demands it.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mr. Goose; 03-07-2017 at 05:14 PM. Reason: add photos
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 05:42 PM
Gold Subscriber

Thanks! I think I figured out this is in a Alfetta? I could only get at 14x16? maybe not even that big in a Berlina and GTV and that was a really tight fit and I had to cut out some of the fresh air scoop to get all the space on the left (facing the front of the car). Nice install for sure.

The passenger seat is 15 miles an hour faster than the drivers seat.

currently
74 GTV restored daily driver
71 Berlina in resto
the ones that got away:
1959 750 series Giulietta Spider Veloce
1962 Giulietta Spider normale
1965 Giulia Sprint normale
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 06:43 PM

Excellent work and presentation.
re: engine overheating when it is hot. My Alfetta GT, with 2 10" fans, push on the condenser and pull on the radiator will not keep the engine cool when it is +90 deg and in stop/go traffic. When the car is moving, like on the highway it runs 180 ish even when 105 outside.
I think you made a great move installing a NEW evaporator unit from VA. I used the original Italian Alfa setup and it does not move enough air and certainly there was no provision to send cool air to the side vents. I assume you closed them off from the outside fresh air. I have found that the volume of air movement is very important to good AC in a car. This was not really understood by Alfa back in the '70s.
Note; Alfa screwed up the design of the incoming cabin air on the Alfetta. It is directly on top of the evaporator/heater unit which is right under the black HOT dash board so that all incoming cabin air is preheated before it enters the evaporator!!!
Keep us updated with your results.

Paul Blankenship AROSC
76 Alfetta GT Time Trials and Wine Tours; 88 Milano - Daily Driver
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 06:06 AM

Garage
Thanks for posting Mr Goose. Good amount of info on the Vintage Air website. Not sure if my 82 spider had an A/C option but I'd love to have air added to it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode