Charge Rate for regas - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Charge Rate for regas

The installation of the AC in my 105 GTV 2000 uses the original factory Borletti Evaporator yet has a modern Sanden 508 Compressor and Parallel flow condenser. The installation is shown here:

AC Installation in a GTV 2000 Part I

It has been nearly 3 years since I had the system serviced and it has lost its cool somewhat. I suspect a regas is in order.

I was reviewing the literature on Alfa's original charging instructions for the FREON and they recommend 1kg of FREON to charge the system. This was for the original factory installation back in the 1970s.

My mechanic charged my system with 560 grams of R143a back in 2013.

What are people's thoughts on the most appropriate quantity of R134a to use to charge the system? Should I stick with 560 grams of R134a or are there advantages (and presumably risks) to using a larger quantity R134a?

I rarely don't know what kinds of pressures the system can hold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 09:50 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Location: Rapid City SD, Black Hills of South Dakota, Queens NY
Send a message via Skype™ to Roadtrip
I don't have experience with a custom setup like yours, but generally speaking conversions from R12 to R134a call for charging the system with R134a at 80% of the quantity of R12. So in your case, 800 grams (assuming the recommended R12 quantity is correct).

That, however, is a general guess. I would start with 600 grams and see what vent temps you get, then add a little at a time, wait and check vent temps again. Stop if you're not lowering the vent temp. Again, generally speaking, a little too little is better than too much, as far as efficiency goes. Hopefully, the oil type and quantity in the system is correct. Too much oil hurts the efficiency of the refrigerant.

From my personal experience doing a conversion on a '91 (R12) 164, the 80% figure was a little low, IMO. The 80% rule of thumb would call for 36oz of R134a, but I found through experience, that about 40oz worked a little better.

Also, unless the hoses you used are R-134a barrier hoses, you can expect a yearly loss of refrigerant and a top-off required at the beginning of the cooling season.

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S

Last edited by Roadtrip; 02-09-2017 at 09:34 AM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Hey thanks for this - I was never aware of this guideline. I had it charged only a few days ago with 560 grams of R134a and it seems to blow pretty cold so maybe that's enough but I will keep your advice in future for next time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode