AC Instalation in a GTV 2000 Part II - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
AC Instalation in a GTV 2000 Part II

Installing an Electric Fan on the radiator using the snuggle method .

This step includes installing an electric fan on the radiator. The fan is a 12" Derale Tornado fan that I purchased from Centreline - it's a perfect size. The larger engine pulley that was installed to take the extra belt for my AC compressor meant that the engine fan had to come out. At the moment I have not sourced a condenser but I will still need an electric fan in the car to prevent overheating until the time comes to install the condenser and unfortunately this will mean taking out the radiator again - it's actually quite easy (30 minutes) although the drain plug is tough to get to on my radiator.

Cileberti Motors had already changed over my engine pulley and installed the compressor brackets. I drained and removed the radiator and assessed the situation. I wanted the fan on the engine side to give more room for the condenser and its fan and so a bit of testing and fiddling was required before I learned that the electric fan had to be located on the left hand side of the radiator and that the shroud had to go. It is a very very tight fit and only just clears the pump assembly to which the engine fan was originally attached.

I sourced several generic brackets from the shelving section of my local hardware store (Bunnings) and I modified these slightly and used them to hold the electric fan. The vertical brackets on each side of the radiator were fitted to the bolts that previously held the shroud in place.

I painted these in black to make my installation look a little less like a cheap bookcase. The advantage of using these brackets is that their impact on restricting air flow is minimal (notice how I have orientated these on the right hand side of the radiator) and they allow the electric fan to fit right up against the radiator. I call this installation the snuggle method .

Name:  PA300442.jpg
Views: 1404
Size:  47.2 KB

Name:  PA300445.jpg
Views: 1447
Size:  46.7 KB

Holding the radiator in the upright position, there is a small amount of vertical play (amount 1-2mm) in the fan on the right hand side when using these thin and bendy brackets and so a little reinforcement of sorts may be required to prevent excessive rubbing on the radiator.

Name:  PA300447.jpg
Views: 1424
Size:  73.4 KB

The finished product. Not bad if I don't say so myself and far superior to using plastic cable ties that might slice through my radiator fins.

Name:  PA300443.jpg
Views: 1423
Size:  72.6 KB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I installed the fan and sat and scratched my head about how to wire up the thing. Searching the forum I discovered a solution by Tifosi.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gt-1...age-4-4-a.html

The electric fan was earthed near the right-hand headlight and the second wire connected to #87 terminal of a 4 pin 30 amp relay with a 15amp fuse that fits into the relay itself (note that my temerature sensor is rated at 16amp). The #86 terminal of the relay was connected to a keyed 12v source, this being the +ve terminal on the ignition coil. The #85 terminal of the relay was connected to the temperature sensor and the second temperature sensor wire was earthed. The #30 relay terminal went to the connection on the alternater that connected the alternater with the battery. This setup ensured that the fan did not continue to run when the car was switched off. The thermostat was set to activate the fan at approximately 180 degrees. I noticed that the fan kicks in at 180 degrees and then switches off at a little under 175 degrees.

For those that are curious, the derale Tornado 12" fan draws 8.8 amps at 2100 rpm with a CMF of 880.

Last edited by WA-Alfa; 11-04-2010 at 06:44 PM.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I found that when I had the temperature sensory inside the top radiator hose that this caused a small but constant coolant leak. As the top radiator hose gets very hot anyways I decided to put the probe on the underside of the outside of the hose and secured it in place within a rubber sleeve and cable ties - it seems to work just fine.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 01:27 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Thank you so much for this continuing write up. If you have the chance, could you post pictures of the "scupper doors" - those vents that open on the bottom of the a/c box to let air out for floor heat. I am trying to retro fit a unit into a 67 gtv and the used box zI got does not have those little flaps.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Thanks for the feedback Neil. The manual calls these little doors - 'scuttles'. I will try and post a picture when I have sorted out my catestrophic computer problems - two of my computers had fatal hardware failures on the same day would you believe.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
This project is currently stalled while I try and find a suitable condenser. It is turning out to be a real headace.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 07:39 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Have you checked out Vintage Air?

http://www.vintageair.com/catalog10/...Page%2076).pdf
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Yes I have and they have nothing suitable
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I can't find anything suitable in Australia. Really I need a serpentine or parallel flow condenser to take 134a refrigerant. The original condenser for the car can be source second hand from people on this list but this is a tub and fin design and is not suitable for 134a refrigerant. The problem has been sourcing a condenser that has a height lower than 300mm. The only condenser that I could find was 12x14 from a place in the US and they want 89.90 for the condenser and an outrageous $219 in shipping. I could get a windscreen from the UK shipped for less!

Last edited by WA-Alfa; 11-12-2010 at 04:22 AM.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 08:16 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Looks like they would ship it to me for free. How much could it cost to ship LA - AU? I don't mind helping.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 09:00 AM

Have you looked at service like MYUS (US Mail Forwarding, International Shipping | MyUS.com) We use it all the time for US sourced goods. Never had an issue.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
That's extremely kind of you Neil but it may not be necessary. Aggie57's suggestion of using MyUS.com is really interesting. I never knew this sort of service was available. I'm going to give them a try and see how I go. Thanks to you both, this forum is really helpful and full of great people willing to help.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
With respect to MyUS.com I notice that the delivery address that they give you is in Florida and that this attracks a 7% sales tax.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 08:52 PM
Gold Subscriber

These brackets seem perfect, but I have not been able to find something similar at the hardware store. Anyone ever seen these kinds of brackets on this side of the pond?

Oh, I guess with our radiators, a 12" fan is probably the largest we can go?

'69 1750 GTV - XC70 Q4
'88 Spider Veloce
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
This installation has now been finalized - see this thread....

AC Installation in a GTV 2000 Part I

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode