Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Questions about oiling York compressor

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  poki 
#1 ·
I am finally getting to the a/c on my GTV-6, and I had a couple of questions about putting oil in the York compressor.

1. When I went to drain the compressor today, nothing came out of the suction or discharge sides of the compressor, and the inside looks pretty dry.
A. I was wondering whether I am doing the draining right.
B. Or whether it just means that someone had emptied the compressor before (there was a slight vacuum when I opened the system -- but doesn't the oil in the compressor stay put when the system is vacuumed?).
C. Or whether that means the compressor is toast (the compressor turns freely and without noise when I spin the inside pully, and it produced enough pressure to pop the rubber plug across the room, so my inclination is to think it is okay, though I also have a spare that is not quite as nice).

2. When one fills the compressor, one fills on the suction side, right? (And related to 1B, one can add oil before vacuuming the system, right?)

3. How many oz of oil do these compressors take? How much oil should I add to the receiver-dryer, etc. (I can guess 4 in the compressor and 4 in the dryer, but it would be helpful to hear from someone who knows.)

Thanks in advance for the help.
Tim

See less See more
#2 ·
Update: after finding the manual online, I found the oil drain plugs on the side (from which a few ml of oil drained. The manual also recommends 8-12 oz of oil in the compressor, but what is the right way to fill? Say, something like 5 oz in the compressor and 3 oz in the receiver-drier?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.