Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Looking to join the Alfa owners group

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  araknd 
#1 ·
I am a long time sports car owner, who is looking to acquire a street car that I could take to the track. I have recently rebuilt a 1970 Porsche 911T that I am planning on selling this spring. I have a 1986 Porsche that was modified to use at the track, my son shares driving time at some events.
My question to you guys is which Alfa would be a good model to buy that is a good complement for my garage. I am looking for a pre smog (1973 or older), no rust, and has good parts availability for modifications.
I like the look of the coupes. I see there is a great amount of variation so please help educate me as I search for my first Alfa.

#2 ·
Your desired cut-off date of 1973 would likely push you to a GTV. They have Alfa's well known DOHC 4 cylinder engines. I suspect most race versions will have Weber carbs (instead of the SPICA mechanical FI that most Alfa's of that era sold in the USA came with). There has been lots of development of both the engines & suspensions - how fa$t do you want to go?

There's a 1974 GTV race car listed in the Buy/Sell section right now.

#3 · (Edited)
There is an active Alfa owners club in San Diego - see: AROCSD.org | Alfa Romeo Owners Club of San Diego Many of its members participate in track events and could offer guidance.

The Los Angeles area Alfa Club (of which I am a member) has a track program. See: AROSC-HPD Home Page Their next event will be in your neighborhood in Chuckwalla on May 2-3rd.

While it sounds like these are two separate organizations, the Los Angeles and San Diego groups are pretty tightly coupled, especially with regard to track activities

#4 ·
Gnhl, I saw that GTV in the for sale section and that is too race and probably too fast for my capability, for what I am looking for. So is there an advantage for the DOHC 4 cycinder models? I like the idea of carbs but that is not a must. I also do not know about the advances in suspension from the early 60 models and if they are upgradable. I will be keeping an eye on the classifieds , but my original question about the differences in models and what would be a good platform to start from and build as time and experience allows.
Alfajay, I will look for events that are posted on the local chapters, that has been a good exposure to my cars in the past. Hope to see you at an event.
Thanks for your suggestions, I have a lot to learn.

#5 ·
Yeah, that is strictly a race car. But a street/track GTV would seem like it meets your desires.

The 4 cyl DOHC engine it well proven. Again, how fast you want to go will depend on your budget.

Now if you're willing to move up a decade or two, consider the GTV6 or Milano. They have a sweet SOHC V6, rear transaxle and great handling. you can get one of those for a lot less than the more classic & thus collectable GTV. I like the GTV6 styling but the Milano (4 doors) has the same drivetrain and reportedly better aerodynamics. I know they've done well in Lemons/Chumps. I don't see them too often in vintage racing - partly because they're a little too new for 'vintage' and perhaps also because they tend to get placed in classes with cars with much bigger engines.

#6 · (Edited)
It is easy to get 250+ HP from a 3L V6 without spending a lot of money but the transaxle cars are a different driving experience. The 4 cylinder cars are lighter, nimbler and probably more fun on the road. The transaxle cars come into their own at higher speeds where they are very stable. There is another GTV race car that is a lower spec than Ken Lee's and has been for sale for a long time. http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-cars-sale-wanted/312065-74-gtv-race-car.html

A good road GTV will cost that much.

#7 ·
I would like to start with a classic. I have a newer 1986 street/track car that has the attributes your 3 liter type models have. I would like to have a car that I take to cars and coffee type and road tours etc. I would only track if my son is driving the Porsche and I just want to have a good time throwing a nimble older car around.
I see Giulietta sprint, Gta coupe, and 1750 etc. I see these names and numbers and I do not know where I should be looking. Are all of these being preserved as collectors or do guys modify these models?

#9 · (Edited)
I see Giulietta sprint, Gta coupe, and 1750 etc. I see these names and numbers and I do not know where I should be looking.
There is a good book that will answer those questions. See "Illustrated Alfa Romeo Buyer's Guide" by Joe Benson. You can probably find a used copy for under $10.

So is there an advantage for the DOHC 4 cycinder models?
You said you wanted a pre-smog era Alfa. The DOHC 4 is the only engine Alfa made prior to '76 (OK, there was a DOHC 6, but you probably don't what that).

Are all of these being preserved as collectors or do guys modify these models?
Well, I wouldn't say that they all are being preserved as collectors. But as early Alfas become more scarce and expensive, people hesitate to hack them up the way they did 20 years ago. But hey, if you spend the $$$ to buy an original car, I guess you can do what you want with it.

I think that ghnl and alfaparticle's point is that if you want to end up with a track car, it would be quicker, cheaper, and more environmentally-friendly to just buy a track car.

#8 · (Edited)
You should be looking for a GTV or a Giulia Super. Nice ones are in the $20k range.

Weber carburetors are preferred If you don't care about originality, fuel consumption or emissions. SPICA has its attributes but making good power is not one of them. My 2L spider with Webers makes about 180HP. To get there from a stock motor would require a prepared head - $1k, a pair of RJR cams - $600 HC, pistons & liners - $1k plus a decent exhaust system and ignition - maybe $1k. The stock bottom end requires no modification unless you want to run at 7000 rpm for extended periods.

#10 · (Edited)
So, just quickly, you're looking at what are known as 101 and 105 cars. A Giulietta is a 101 car and from the late 50s to early 60s. They are very "old fashioned" (and pretty) looking and have gotten quite pricey. Small motors. Late in the run they had a Giulia model that was an updated Guilietta with a bigger motor (1600cc, I think?).

Next came the 105 cars. Sorta all under the Giulia name - a coupe (GT), sedan (Berlina) and spider (or Duetto for the really early ones). These cars are somewhat similar to the 101 cars and all essentially the same underneath - all-aluminum DOHC I4, double a-arm front suspension, solid axle rear - and the parts interchange to a large extent. All of these cars were made in different trim levels and different displacements from 1300cc to 2000cc. A GTV is the "Veloce" (fast(?)) model of the coupe. A GTA is a special race version of the coupe. 1750 was an extremely common displacement of the era we're talking about, and showed up in every body style. There were some special-bodied 105 cars too that have gotten rare and pricey.

The coupe is the prettiest in my opinion. The Berlinas are reputed to be perhaps the best to drive, and the Spider's charms are obvious. Look around here and you'll see all sorts of treatments. I guess most are kept original(ish) but people do just about everything with/to these cars.

GT info: Alfa Romeo 105/115 Series Coupés - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Berlina info: Alfa Romeo Giulia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Spider info: Alfa Romeo Spider FAQ

#11 ·
I love my Spider but to use it as a track day car would require a cage and that would make it hard to use as a street car. I think that a tin top is a better bet for a car that will be driven on the track plus the body is stiffer and therefore the handling is tighter.

#13 ·
Wolfyboy,
Welcome to the wonderful world of Alfa Romeo. I have had many different types of sports cars including two Porsches and a Corvette, but when I bought my first Alfa, I was hooked.

As Alfajay stated above we have a relatively active group here in San Diego, drawing members from all walks of life and from all corners of the county. The downside is that the cars are held fairly close. Your best opportunity to find the car you want is to scour the Wanted and For Sale here on AlfaBB, but also look at BringATrailer.com. Joining the national Alfa Romeo Owners Club - US would also expose you to more cars that are not publicly advertised, as well.

AROCSD is participating in Bella Italia this weekend at Spanish Landing. Drop by and check out the cars and meet some great Alfisti!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.