Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Ar613217

7K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  DanLK 
#1 ·
Until 1972 it was red with black engine bay, no brake boost, no “slittone”, racing asset by Autodelta, owned by Scuderia Panar, chassis N° AR*613217*...is there any record of it's later destiny?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
V, this could be a break through or big trouble.

GTA 613217 is the ex- Lee Midley Trans Am GTA and was run in the Trans Am series in 1970 and 1971(blue) as #93. In 1970 it had a couple of victories. So it was in the USA in time to prepare it for racing in 1970 and this GTA is very well known in era and also now in USA. Lots can be found about this GTA on this BB and in the Alfas in the Trans Am thread.

So what does this time frame conflict mean I wonder?

As far as I know little or nothing is known of the history prior to Lee Midley obtaining it in California. So if you find Italian history and the time line is found to line up with what is known in the USA it will be excellent new information.

Tell us more.

Regards

Ken

Attachments

#4 ·
V,

When/where was the picture you attached taken do you know.

ciao

ken

#6 · (Edited)
Setting the record straight

I have had some private communications with Bora (Vladimir) and Roman Tucker and conclude that the picture Bora posted is not from the era stated originally and that the history of 613217 prior to Midgley finding it on a California car lot as a stradale, remains unknown except to say that it was sold originally to AR Newark USA.

So 217 not likely has any Euro race history and certainly not with Panar as suggested,in error, earlier.

FWIW

Ken

#7 ·

To confirm your conclusion, I will add that Fazio assured me that the 613217 was sold by Alfa Romeo (not Autodelta) directly in States (Newark) without any history in Europe and it was not the part of Panar’s garage ever. I have discovered the origin of the error, and was intended to send you that document but as I have lost my comp, I couldn’t find your private e-mail. Anyhow it is only another dirty little story without importance…

#10 ·
Slittone

It is Autodelta patent (idea was of engineer Surace than developed by Chiti) for lowering the roll centre of the car, giving the possibility of rear live axle to move free up and down, and combined with knuckle risers in front suspension improved a lot roll and diving effects in racing conditions.

Attachments

#12 ·
I know this is an old post but I just came onto it searching for pic's of Lee Midgley's Alfa because my dad did a paint job and fender flairs on an Alfa for Lee Midgley (in 1970 I believe). We went to watch Lee race at Riverside Raceway a couple of months later. Sadly his clutch burnt up in the race, until the clutch went he was doing very well and had the fastest lap time to that point of the race as I remember it.
My dad's shop was Kyle's Auto Body in Hemet CA. I went to Lee's shop in Hemet a few times too.

#13 ·
Hello Dan and welcome to the Alfa BB.

If you have any pictures of Alfas from those days racing please post here or in the Alfas in the Trans Am thread if of Trans Am races.

Ciao

Ken

#14 ·
Sadly I took no pics back then, but I did a little help on the prep for the paint job on Lee's car. I was 14-15 years old at the time. I went to a lot of motorcycle races but that was the only auto race I went to. My dad was the Autobody and paint teacher at Mt. San Jacinto Jr College, teaching night classes. My dad got his start painting early in life and worked as a painter at the Studebaker assembly plant for a while.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.