Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Christine Beckers and GTA-SA

25K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  africk 
#1 ·
#8 ·
GTA Beckers

Hallo Alleggerita,

do you know somthing about the Chassis no. of the car. My GTA came from Belgium and I dont know the history before 1979 ? The car had a rivetted whole in front of the roof , the place , where the Beckers GTA had a light! And also some modifikations near the right engine mounts, perhaps for the kompressor?

MFG
Uli

#9 ·
Hi Uli,

Sorry don't have a number - wish I did.

Some food for thought. Is this the car you had in the 80's already? If is indeed the same car you better start looking for a motor ;)

Hallo Alleggerita,

do you know somthing about the Chassis no. of the car. My GTA came from Belgium and I dont know the history before 1979 ? The car had a rivetted whole in front of the roof , the place , where the Beckers GTA had a light! And also some modifikations near the right engine mounts, perhaps for the kompressor?

MFG
Uli

#10 ·
GTA Beckers

Hallo Alleggerita

thanks, would be happy, if its the car! But i dont like the boosted engines, fuel eating without any succes!!! And never had contact with such an engine and to old to learn more about this theme. Perhaps any other member knows something about the cars?

My car was mint green when i bought it and had great fenders, but the original fender was under them in the front, and the rear was cut a little bit ,like for the smal enlargements of the kompressors! And also the original metallic Autodelta signes on the front fenders and the outer mirror on the left front fender! The engine was demontated long ago and missed.Engine with the car was an 2000 with modified GTA head.

MFG
Uli

Reactions: Zagato_Olaf
#12 ·
Gta-sa

Hallo Ulrich,
thanks so much, that you are also interested in the history of my GTA.
I digged also in old papers , and sellcontract and spoke with the seller , Olivier Chambon, from Brussel. Due i have the car since 1980, its not so easy.
( I bought the car in a paket of 6 racecars:Lotus Cortina, Mustang Shelby, BMW Batmobil,Ford Capri RS 2600,Alfa 2000 GTAm and a Giulietta SS )
1. i have the confirmation by Alfas centro documentatione, that my car was sold to Alfa Benelux after preparation through Autodelta.
2.I have the original belgium papers and the car has the very low No. 613015 and FIA race papers.
3. As i bought it, he had wide body, but the original fenders in the front were under the plastic parts with the original metallic autodelta stickers on the side before the doors over the Bertone signes!!!
4. he had the frontfenders with the enlarged wheelarches ,that had only the competition cars to suit the 7x14camps with Dunlop 5.50 M14 CR 65 racing tyres in the period or also 8x14 camps, that was with the car.
5. he had a repaired roof, a flick at the place, where the beckers car had a position light, the only i have ever seen on a GTA!!!!! You can see the repair now from the inner side of the roof.And the outside mirror was also at the same place.
6. the right inner fender has a great hole , which is shot with an alupanel, like a door. You can service the carbs or compressors through the right wheelhouse.
7. the original electricwires and the fusebox on GTAs is always right beneed the chassisnumber.My GTA had all on the left side due no place at the right!
8. The firewall on the right side is also worked to the rear to have place fo the rear compressor.And has a whole in the area before the right axle for hydraulic tubes.
9. As the car was for reparation in Italy 2004 -2008 im Bergamo at Daniele Turrisi , who made the new colour , he saw these modifications and asked Mr. Imberti , who worked much for Alfa racing team in period (made the testa stretta) ,who live also in Bergamo, if he just saw such things. He sad, that is a GTA-SA chassis!!!
10. the car has an alufloor!!! and came with all the lightweight magnesium parts from Autodelta like valvecover ,enginefrontcover,oilsump,gearboxrearend,clutchhouse,diff.house,slidingblockparts,campagnolo 7 and 8x14 and 9x13,rearaxlebackplates,Dunlop and ATE-alubrakes, the complete lightweight interiors with plastic dashboard ,aludoorwindowframes, colotti-gearbox,and a whole lorry with raceparts!!!
11. i got the car with 3 GTA engines and one GTAm engine , but no GTA-SA engine.

All these facts are indeed leading me to Christine Beckers, but the seller sad me, the car came from the "van der Straaten racing team" in Belgium.

Perhaps, the belgish members of AlfaBB like Dovali or Tussegas know something about these history? I will also ask Guy Moerenhout of Mortsel, who managed the deal in 1980.

PS: the foto in book Allegeritta in the end was my former carstore at ca. 1980!!! But i dont know, who gave the foto to Adriansen? In this time ,i had 7 GTA in this place.

I restore the car in moment since 7 years to highest standart , in moment , he got the inner trim in original elefant grey, and seats remain original with patina. He got 2 new !!! doors and a new bonnet, because the original doors and bonnet where cut out extremely to light them, the rear wheel arches and the frontpanel are new made, the front was extreme demolated by race contacts and the fenders cut out.But the car had absolute no corosion like the most racecars. It is one of 3 alufloor cars, i had and the lowest chassisnumber of them.He has a thintube rollbar and will be extreme light.We also used much titanium parts in the engine and suspension and a complete exhaust from titanium-steel to save weight.The 1600 engine develloped 169 HP on the first runout on Schenk Hp-brake.

If somebody has a GTA-SA engine to sell , please give me a ring.

best regards
Uli

Attachments

#13 ·
Hi Uli,

That makes a total of 4 chassis numbers associated with a GTA-SA engine. I think that might be the number that has actually been suggested by Adriensens.

Your car sound intriguingly like an SA. I assume that you are aware of the 3 engines that were available for major money in Italy a while ago, one of which I believe has been sold. I am not sure whether these were the same or different engines from the ones the late Angelo Chiapperini had.

Hallo Ulrich,
thanks so much, that you are also interested in the history of my GTA.
I digged also in old papers , and sellcontract and spoke with the seller , Olivier Chambon, from Brussel. Due i have the car since 1980, its not so easy.
( I bought the car in a paket of 6 racecars:Lotus Cortina, Mustang Shelby, BMW Batmobil,Ford Capri RS 2600,Alfa 2000 GTAm and a Giulietta SS )
1. i have the confirmation by Alfas centro documentatione, that my car was sold to Alfa Benelux after preparation through Autodelta.
2.I have the original belgium papers and the car has the very low No. 613015 and FIA race papers.
3. As i bought it, he had wide body, but the original fenders in the front were under the plastic parts with the original metallic autodelta stickers on the side before the doors over the Bertone signes!!!
4. he had the frontfenders with the enlarged wheelarches ,that had only the competition cars to suit the 7x14camps with Dunlop 5.50 M14 CR 65 racing tyres in the period or also 8x14 camps, that was with the car.
5. he had a repaired roof, a flick at the place, where the beckers car had a position light, the only i have ever seen on a GTA!!!!! You can see the repair now from the inner side of the roof.And the outside mirror was also at the same place.
6. the right inner fender has a great hole , which is shot with an alupanel, like a door. You can service the carbs or compressors through the right wheelhouse.
7. the original electricwires and the fusebox on GTAs is always right beneed the chassisnumber.My GTA had all on the left side due no place at the right!
8. The firewall on the right side is also worked to the rear to have place fo the rear compressor.And has a whole in the area before the right axle for hydraulic tubes.
9. As the car was for reparation in Italy 2004 -2008 im Bergamo at Daniele Turrisi , who made the new colour , he saw these modifications and asked Mr. Imberti , who worked much for Alfa racing team in period (made the testa stretta) ,who live also in Bergamo, if he just saw such things. He sad, that is a GTA-SA chassis!!!
10. the car has an alufloor!!! and came with all the lightweight magnesium parts from Autodelta like valvecover ,enginefrontcover,oilsump,gearboxrearend,clutchhouse,diff.house,slidingblockparts,campagnolo 7 and 8x14 and 9x13,rearaxlebackplates,Dunlop and ATE-alubrakes, the complete lightweight interiors with plastic dashboard ,aludoorwindowframes, colotti-gearbox,and a whole lorry with raceparts!!!
11. i got the car with 3 GTA engines and one GTAm engine , but no GTA-SA engine.

All these facts are indeed leading me to Christine Beckers, but the seller sad me, the car came from the "van der Straaten racing team" in Belgium.

Perhaps, the belgish members of AlfaBB like Dovali or Tussegas know something about these history? I will also ask Guy Moerenhout of Mortsel, who managed the deal in 1980.

PS: the foto in book Allegeritta in the end was my former carstore at ca. 1980!!! But i dont know, who gave the foto to Adriansen? In this time ,i had 7 GTA in this place.

I restore the car in moment since 7 years to highest standart , in moment , he got the inner trim in original elefant grey, and seats remain original with patina. He got 2 new !!! doors and a new bonnet, because the original doors and bonnet where cut out extremely to light them, the rear wheel arches and the frontpanel are new made, the front was extreme demolated by race contacts and the fenders cut out.But the car had absolute no corosion like the most racecars. It is one of 3 alufloor cars, i had and the lowest chassisnumber of them.He has a thintube rollbar and will be extreme light.We also used much titanium parts in the engine and suspension and a complete exhaust from titanium-steel to save weight.The 1600 engine develloped 169 HP on the first runout on Schenk Hp-brake.

If somebody has a GTA-SA engine to sell , please give me a ring.

best regards
Uli

#15 ·
Gta-sa 613015

Hallo Olaf, Hallo Allegeritta (Ulrich),

i made some fotos of the right inner fender and the right firewall. You can see, that the fender has a great hole , which is shot by an extra plate , on the foto demontated. It gives the possibility to work on the compressors through the right wheelhouse. Also the right firewall is enlarged to behind, due the second turbine needs place. The fusebox , that is normally at this place,was converted to the left side ,where normally the airfilterbox is placed. And see the opening at upper side of the right inner fender , the whole is for the hydraulic tubes of the SA -engine.

All in all , it must be the Beckers race car of Alfa BENELUX, i think. Its now in a very good constitution and will be one of the best cars in the world.Its the 8. Giulia Sprint GTA , that i restore and the 4. with alufloor. These cars are really more interesting than the cars without alufloor. It has all his original lightweight seats and interiors in elefant grey and a correct stamped chassis-number , not like the former showed here!!! The 7x14 are original Campagnolos and correct front and rear axles , all original magnesium parts are mounted.
I have an original 100 liter petroltank with the corresponding rear bonnet with hole , dont know, if i should take it on the car? What do you think about that?

nice to hear from you and all other

Uli

Attachments

#17 ·
Hi Uli,

Thanks for the great shots. The opening in the front inner fender I have seen in a number of other cars (all early serial #; I don't think they were SA), but not the rest of the modifications.

Would be interesting to compare with other purported/documented GTA-SA's ....

I wonder if martinue has any pictures of any of those cars or maintains contact with any owners ...

Did the car come with the narrow rear fenders when you bought it? Or did you put these on when you restored it? I have seen one factory photograph of an SA with narrow rear fenders.With those details you're gonna have to find that engine ... even if you don't like superchargers.

The large tank ... I think it is a beautiful period part ... but a lot of fuel sloshing around and weight on the wrong side on a LHD ... also risks damaging/creasing the trunk/fender area ... probably a must with an SA engine's fuel consumption. I'd still be tempted to put it in the car if you restore it to period spec, especially given that you have an original interior as well.

Hallo Olaf, Hallo Allegeritta (Ulrich),

i made some fotos of the right inner fender and the right firewall. You can see, that the fender has a great hole , which is shot by an extra plate , on the foto demontated. It gives the possibility to work on the compressors through the right wheelhouse. Also the right firewall is enlarged to behind, due the second turbine needs place. The fusebox , that is normally at this place,was converted to the left side ,where normally the airfilterbox is placed. And see the opening at upper side of the right inner fender , the whole is for the hydraulic tubes of the SA -engine.

All in all , it must be the Beckers race car of Alfa BENELUX, i think. Its now in a very good constitution and will be one of the best cars in the world.Its the 8. Giulia Sprint GTA , that i restore and the 4. with alufloor. These cars are really more interesting than the cars without alufloor. It has all his original lightweight seats and interiors in elefant grey and a correct stamped chassis-number , not like the former showed here!!! The 7x14 are original Campagnolos and correct front and rear axles , all original magnesium parts are mounted.
I have an original 100 liter petroltank with the corresponding rear bonnet with hole , dont know, if i should take it on the car? What do you think about that?

nice to hear from you and all other

Uli

#18 ·
Gta-sa 613015

Hallo Dovali,

dont think so, he wanted to see the car just 20 years ago, with his parntner, the man , who is always with him on the markets like Padua. Rest better as PM, not so interest for all the world.
The car is from VDS( van der Straaten racing team) know this from the seller in period and wrote this just before , many parts of me have the stamp:VDS on the Alu. Also my GTAm had much parts with stamp:VDS

But i have another interesting part: an giutine inlet horizontal from Delta auto ricambi , also a producer in Belgium for racing parts in period.
This part came with the GTA-SA and was a part of a ton racing parts , but i never used it, so perhaps some of our other members knows something about this.

MFG
Uli

Attachments

#19 ·
Gta-sa 613015

I will not pay the italian prices for such an engine, and without an garanty, that it possible is able to turn and produce more horsepower as an regular GTA 1600 . I have some engines, and no money to buy an optional. I think, the 3 SA engines are better for vitrine holding than turning in a car? No really, GTA-SA car? must see a driver before i can really decide.

The car cam to me with large GTAm like fenders, but you could see the rivet holes from the " narrow rear fenders" ( so called by you) and a very great petrol pump in the rear, perhaps a rest of the SA equipment . So he had also the 8x14 Campagnolos in the stock of parts. It tok me 1 month , to put the parts from Brussel to my home, drove 6 times.

Uli

#20 ·
Hi Ulrich

About four years ago I spoke a Dutchman (living in the south of the Netherlands) who owned several racing cars including an Alfa Romeo 1600GTA, a 1300 GTA engined Royale sportscar and the ex Larini DTM Alfa Romeo 155 GTA. He also mentioned that he owned an 2000 GTAm and a compressor engined GTA. Probably you will know who I mean !

Cheers,

Alfanord

#21 ·
Racing Team Van Der Straten entered the TZ/TZ2 and various GTAs from '66 to '69 and the Tipo 33/2 in '68 and '69. In 1969, when the T33/3 was found out not to be reliable enough and Alfa Romeo decided to enter it under Autodelta's team only, VDS changed to Lola. I have most of the entries for VDS, but there is no record of a GTA-SA or any entry later than 1969 for them. Further there is no record of them owning/having/using a GTAm.

I got no chassis numbers of the VDS GTAs or other Benelux cars. It seems that most of the Autodelta race cars were sold/given to teams like VDS after they had used it a few times as works entries.

The period pics of the GTA-SA's engine compartments show the firewall widened like those on *613015* but they are known from the books and magazines and not good enough to see more of the inner side fender.

#22 · (Edited)
Hi Uli,

As martinue points out, VDS was never associated with a GTAm, nor I believe with a GTA-SA. However both VDS and Lucien Bianchi were obviously Belgian teams. Further Camille Demoulin drove Alfas for VDS and Jacques Demoulin co-drove Alfas with Christine Beckers. Both Jaques Demoulin and Christine Beckers drove GTAm and GTA-SA for Lucien Bianchi.

A misattribution to another Belgian team by the seller of your car is not that far a leap. Further, given that Lucien Bianchi passed away in 1969 as a result of an accident when testing a tipo33 for LeMans, it is not inconceivable that VDS may have acquired some of the cars from the Bianchi team ...

Probably would be a good idea to follow up some of the leads suggested - as reluctant as you sound to do that ...

Now another question is how many GTA-SA's Lucien Bianchi actually ran. Was it more than one? Some of the pictures that are identified as GTA-SA that Becker drove look quite different ...

BTW, Delta Ricambi still exists in Bruxelles:

DELTA AUTO RICAMBI
chaussee de helmet 113-115
BRUXELLES 3, Brussels Gewest 1030

#24 ·
Hallo ,

dont know the relations of VDS, but if they had no GTAm, where does the Campagnolo 9x13 came from. For me, its not so interesting about VDS, this was an information of the former owner of the cars .
Very nice starting list of 1968, much great names on it !!! , but i think, there are more than 4 GTA-SA in their period, so there are just 4 on this starterlist, and there is no belgian team included.
Martinue, dont know your information, but i had 4 lightweight GTAs with very low numbers in my life, and they all had not this modification, and this was done before 1980 .

Uli

#25 ·
In the short period from the Jolly Club 4h at Monza dated March, 24th in 1968 to the Nuerburgring 6h on July, the 7th in the same year I sorted out up to 8 GTA-SA.

The Jolly Club 4h saw 4 entries, a white one and three in red. A red GTA-SA was destroyed and a second possibly. The white one went to Alfa Romeo Deutschland.
A month later Germany had a second GTA-SA in yellow (5th car?).
In May/June Jacques Demoulin and Nico Chiotakis raced a red car in the Team Bianchi livery with the white side stripes (6th car?).
The Nürburgring race early July saw four cars, one red which was already at Monza, two other red which were not seen before (7th and 8th?), and a fourth one of which I have no pic, so it could be the white or yellow German GTA or another red one.
Before this period and after I found no cars that might not be one of the above mentioned.

It seems that the T33/2 of Racing Team VDS went back to Autodelta after the 1969 season, I don't know about the GTAs, but of course they might have got wide fenders and 13" wheels in 1970.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.