re GTA at Christies - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 08-10-2005, 07:27 AM
Platinum Subscriber

re GTA at Christies

I notice that the GTA being sold by Christies has non-servo-assisted brakes, seemingly.

1. Can this alteration only be done to the lighter weight cars as opposed to regular steel bodied cars, owing to the lower mass?

2. Would you need to fit a larger master cylinder or a twin master cylinder set-up, etc?

3. And groan if you have to , but where does the outlet pipe from the oil catch tank lead to? Does it feed back to the sump in some way that mine doesn't? Papajam kindly pointed out to me a while back that a 1750 engine is not vented from the rear of the block in the same way as the 1600 engine is, so I might go for this option, or just drill and tap a hole in the crankcase anyway. I've never been fond of allowing an oily mist to vent onto the gearbox case and the road, so can this be routed to a (vented) catch tank?

Alex.
Attached Images

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2005, 09:51 AM
Gold Subscriber

I am looking for complete dimensions of said GTA oil catch tank so that a repro could be built. Including thickness of material, location of pipes, diameter of pipes and pipe details. Any help would be appreciated.

By the way some engine blocks without rear oil vent have the casting boss there for possibilities. Check it out.

Regards
Ken Geiger
1970 Giulia Super (CDN Spec)
1976 1600 GTj (Italian Spec)
1966 Harley Sprint (Aermacchi) 250
2000 Catalina 320, Hull #765 Northern Dream
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-10-2005, 10:04 AM

Ken,
If you find the specs for the catch tank, please let me know as I want one too.
My '65 GTA did not come with a servo either, Don't know it's diameter yet. I assume it's smaller than sevo assisted systems.
Ed

Last edited by emr5503; 08-11-2005 at 04:33 AM. Reason: additional info.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:08 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I think that Alfaholics were doing something of that nature? I've just looked on their website but cannot find anything ... I seem to recall an oval catch tank that fitted neatly against the bracket for the stradale air filter box?

Alex.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:16 AM

I'll take measurements of mine tonight. I'll start a new thread in the GTA forum since more than one person has asked me for this. I'll also include pictures.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:53 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Oil catch tank

Some variations on a theme.

In the second picture (with the black crackle cam cover), where does the middle pipe go? It seems to head down towards the pedal box and disappear. Also, if the oil return pipe is the one on the right side of the tank, why is it that the outlet is positioned relatively high, meaning that the tank would have to almost completely fill with oil before any drained off? Is this just a rudimentary way of indicating how much oil is aspirated during a race?

The third catch tank had perforation holes in the top and a perspex (?) window.

The fourth tank was on that Venezuelan GTA revealed on the BB some months ago, it's the oval shape and I guess non-standard. Sorry couldn't find a clearer picture but you get the idea ...
Attached Images

Last edited by Alex; 08-10-2005 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:27 PM

Mike Valant has an article of using Outlaw calipers, and had
to remove the booster because it was to easy to lock up the
front wheels. Check the Alfa section at : http://www.mikevalant.com/
Old 08-10-2005, 09:24 PM

Here is a link to pictures and dimensions to an original GTA oil can: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/show...d=1#post119714
Old 08-10-2005, 10:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
Also, if the oil return pipe is the one on the right side of the tank, why is it that the outlet is positioned relatively high, meaning that the tank would have to almost completely fill with oil before any drained off? Is this just a rudimentary way of indicating how much oil is aspirated during a race?
The whole idea of an oil catch tank is to catch oil, thus at the end of a race meeting you are supposed (if required) empty it ... thus you do not want it to empty itself during the race ... hence the outlet is high and only required to ensure that the tank does not overfill and dump oil all over the very hot engine during a race.

Most catch tanks (that I have seen) do not even have an outlet, ie. they have not thought about what would happen if it completely filled ... why?, cause if your engine is breathing that much it is fncked

I also question the location of that tank ... too high, thus minorly affecting the CofG of the car ... and especially if it did fill with oil during a race (as the engine beat itself to death ). I guess even Autodelta did not expect it to actually fill with oil too.

Pete
Old 08-11-2005, 01:36 AM
Platinum Subscriber

OK so now I'm a little confused (so what's new )! Thanks Anthony for posting the photos and dimensions of your catch tank, but that one seems to be different again.

Whereas pic #1 (see previous post, above) has an outlet pipe (to return to the sump?) that is fitted at a high position, yours is positioned at a spot which makes far more sense, i.e. at the bottom (see pic below), therefore the catch tank is unlikely to fill with oil ... which leads to the question, does the tank need to be that big?! Catch tank #1 seems huge (original Autodelta?) whereas #2 seems like a more sensible size. I'm still assuming that that pipe leads to a feeder tube somewhere on the sump to release the oil back to the engine.

In the other thread, Psk says that the other outlet pipe should only breathe air. So in pic #2 (above) would the middle pipe merely vent to the open air? If so, I guess it would be sensible to fit a little breather filter to the end of the pipe to catch what oil mist remains, right?

Too many questions!! I'll just be quiet now

Alex.
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2005, 04:45 AM

I'm pretty sure the Alfaholics GTA had a TS engine in it (but I may be mistaken!)
Least the one at the national alfa day did, that was parked outside their stand.
It did only have one servo on it.
Got a photo of it somewhere (under bonnet) - I'll dig it out and try and post it on here for you, if I can figure out how to..
Old 08-11-2005, 07:19 AM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

The middle pipe in the crackle-finish cam cover picture is maybe coming off the trans vent?
Andrew Watry
Old 08-11-2005, 07:29 AM

I do know that one goes to the cap and one goes to the rear of the motor. I am still trying to figure out where the third one belongs. All my pictures show a top view and leave me wondering. Does it go to the ground? Hopefully there will be a GTA up at Monterey I can look at. For now, the plans are to put a little screen on it and make it a breather.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:09 AM
Platinum Subscriber

OK so I goofed.

On closer examination, catch tank #1 does have a pipe leading to the rear crankcase breather, so clearly it is the kind of tank that would have to be emptied manually, as there seems to be no return pipe to the sump. But if the third pipe did come from the transmission case vent, would that not over-pressurise the tank??

The GTA with the black crackle tank appears to have a normal open crankcase vent into the open air. This does at least have the added benefit of keeping the transmission tunnel pretty rust free!!
Old 08-30-2005, 04:45 AM
Gold Subscriber

There is probably a need to "probe" the internals of the tank ports to see if they are longer, going past the tank walls, screened internally, etc. Any over flow could come in low but then rise toward thew top of the tank, for example. A drain line going to the back of the engine would return oil to the sump. Is this devise an oil separator? Oil to sump, air to atmosphere?

Regards

Ken Geiger
Toronto
1970 Giulia Super (CDN Spec)
1976 1600 GTj (Italian Spec)
1966 Harley Sprint (Aermacchi) 250
2000 Catalina 320, Hull #765 Northern Dream

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.