1974 2000 GTV.- Door armrest installation - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellagt View Post
Most 2000GTVs I've seen have the inside door release handle oriented in anything other than the factory installed way, as in the photo. Even my Alfa mechanic rotated his handle 180 degrees saying what a stupid design it was to have to push the handle forward, and not pull it back, to open the door. From a safety perspective, a passenger might even gab the handle to brace for a frontal collision, thereby opening the door. So, personalizing the orientation is certainly understandable.
Attached the pics of my door panels (driver and pasenger side). Any idea?
Attached Images

Enrique
Giulietta Spider (750) & Giulia 2000GTV (105.21)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellagt View Post
The screw holes beneath the armrests are located on the brackets indicated with arrows on the attached picture.
Ken,
thanks for the pic. I know now that I have some metal brackets missing in my door panel that I should fabricate.
Another question, what suppose to be the right size of the phillips screws below the armrest?

Enrique
Giulietta Spider (750) & Giulia 2000GTV (105.21)
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:22 AM

I think it's close to #8 or M4. It is oval headed and anodized a dark bronze. The washer will be a bit more challenging to find as it is beveled on the ID and OD as well as anodized the same color as the screw.

Ken
'73 GTV

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 10:23 AM

I have mine apart and have a set of new and old door cards on my workbench now if any more pics are needed.

Curious to know: without the armrests installed are there any ergonomic problems? I imagine the biggest thing lacking is a good way to pull the door closed? They are not the worlds most beautiful hunks of foam/plastic and I am tempted to omit.

'73 GTV bare metal project
E30 Daily - '65 912 project in waiting
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:18 AM

Rus, the arm rests don't serve much of a purpose other than the door pull. You can get away with the door latch as your pull, but the bending moment will eventually oblong the shaft hole of the cheap pot metal latch handle. If you don't have much seat time in a GTV, the driving ergonomics lends itself to steering with the closer, bottom half of the wheel, while cruising, and 9-3 hand position near the spokes with more aggressive steering. So, at least for me, the better arm rest is the top of the door with the window down.

Ken
'73 GTV
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:22 AM

Thanks Ken, that makes sense. Seeing the handles I pulled off the car I can appreciate their fragility. I suppose the GTA inner door pull is an idea.

Lots of under GTV time not a lot of seat time indeed. Hoping to change that in 2017.

'73 GTV bare metal project
E30 Daily - '65 912 project in waiting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode