Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Pull Steering Wheel

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  dlbehrns 
#1 · (Edited)
No matter what search criteria I use to find a thread on pulling the steering wheel, I come up with a bazillion hits. Here's the deal: the s/w/puller kit I rented from Orielys Auto parts didn't have the correct metric thread bolts and even if they did I could not, for the life of me, figure out what combination of parts worked together to pull the s/wheel. I will continue to search...............:frown2:

Tried to delete this thread but I guess you need to be an admin........

#2 ·
So is there still a question here?
Is it a flat bar-type puller with a central, larger, 'push' bolt with a point, and slotted 'wings'?

If so:
- you back off the push bolt so that the bar can sit close to the top of the column, placing the bolt point into the recess in the centre of the steering column
- you insert the two 5mm or 6mm bolts in each slot thru the top, with washers under the bolt heads (the bolts need to be 75mm -100 or so long to reach from the top of the bar down and securely into the wheel hub
- once stable you wind the push bolt downwards (a bit at a time each side, trying to keep it balanced) so that the bar lifts up and brings the small bolts and steering wheel with it.
Cheers.

#3 ·
'push' bolt with a point" yes but the two push bolts in the kit won't thread into the center of the flat H bar. And, the push bolt would have gone down inside the column and caught on the threads. And, the kit didn't come with 6m bolts. There was only one, much larger metric size in the kit. If I could have made it work I would have. Thanks for your reply.

#4 ·
Ok, my bad, I think perhaps I was was confusing the 105 column with Alfetta.

You will definitely still need two long 6mm bolts. Can't do without buying a couple.

As for the central push bolt, since the column sits below the top level of the wheel hub, and is hollow, a spacer/locator is required between it and the column top to give something to push against.
I think I left the nut on the column (ie backed it off to level with the top of the column) to provide a larger surface to work against. Or Perhaps inverting a socket placed into the column top might work.

I bought mine from this mob: supercheapauto.com.au. If you search for steering wheel puller, your first result will show mine. Wasn't expensive. With the 6mm bolts, a spacer/locator, and some fiddling, it did work.

Bugger of a job getting the wheel back on tho, with the Woodruff key and sprung outer sleeve. I only want to do that again if I absolutely have to.

I have just seen your post in the Resto thread.

#5 ·
No matter what search criteria I use to find a thread on pulling the steering wheel,
Since you are posting in GT 63-77 thread, perhaps experience with my 68 GT Jr is useful...I used a gear puller and a socket as a spacer. Highball optional, but recommended.

Photos below.

Attachments

#6 ·
I have a wheel puller similar to the one in your picture but, the horn "collar" would be the only thing the claws could connect with(I think) and I'm afraid I would crack or damage that collar. I will check it out to make sure but I think your wheel is a bit different than the 72. I will get back to y'all. DB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.