1967 Alfa Romeo GTV Giulia Metal work and paint restoration - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

1967 Alfa Romeo GTV Giulia Metal work and paint restoration

We at The Metal Surgeon are currently restoring this wonderful GTV.The owners uncle bought the car from new and had the dealership paint the car in the current red we see,the original colour is Navy blue,of which it will originate back to.
Thanks for checking the thread and hope you enjoy.

[unpaid business link removed by staff]
Attached Images

Last edited by papajam; 04-04-2017 at 07:22 AM. Reason: remove business link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Prior to dis-assembly ....
Attached Images

post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:24 PM
Subscribed! Looks like a nice car as a foundation.

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

more pics...
Attached Images

post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprocket View Post
Subscribed! Looks like a nice car as a foundation.
thanks for subscribing, it is a nice complete car,but we always expect a few things to lay lurking under the paint......
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

dis-assembly begins,100's of photos along the way,even the headliner for info/detail to go along side with original headliner pattern for the interior guys.
Attached Images

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

continued,ultra careful to keep the original headliner in tact.
Attached Images

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

off to blasters with instructions attached.Plastic for sheetmetal and media for structural.
Attached Images

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 04:03 PM

That sound deadening material on the underside of the hood and trunk lid - shown in the picture below, looks a little like a corkboard. When I restored my '66 about 10 years ago, I too left it intact (I see your "do not blast" sign on it), wanting to maintain that original look.

A few years after the restoration and 50 years after the car was built, the stuff began to dry out and lose adhesion. Every time I closed the deck lid (usually with a good slam because of its new gasket) another chunk would come off. Heat from the engine caused it to come off the hood. Eventually I scraped off the remainder, and replaced it with textured undercoat (which doesn't look original, but does stay on).

So give some thought as to whether you want to keep that old sound deadening. I would view it like keeping the old weatherstripping; yes, it's factory original, but it may not still be functional.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
That sound deadening material on the underside of the hood and trunk lid - shown in the picture below, looks a little like a corkboard.
Great thread themetalsurgeon. Subscribed!

I would also be interested in hearing about this material and a possible replacement. I've removed it from my car too and was wondering if its possible to find a product that would look similar to the original.
LaLinea likes this.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:38 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Subscribed.

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

.....and back from plastic and media blasting....

Jay ,thanks for the note.Everything seemed glued very well and nothing disturbed,but i will give another once over to be sure.
Attached Images

post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:25 PM
Gold Subscriber

Great photos and more importantly a great place to have your "metal-works" redone and restored - especially if you're in the mountain region of the US. This is actually my car and I hand-picked The Metal Surgeon to do this work - I wanted it done right so that the car can enjoy another 50 years of life - all in my family. This was originally my dad's car from new. He sold it to my uncle after about two years of ownership - as my uncle was tired of listening to his older brother (my dad) rant about getting a "real Italian sports car". My uncle was a Porsche guy and as such, he told my dad that the only car he wanted was my dad's '67 GTV (I suspect he didn't think my dad would take him up on his offer). My dad had 13 different Alfa's - this one being the only one he ever bought new.

The good news is the story continues - the car will undergo a complete restoration of the body / paint, mechanical, electrical, interior, etc... All but the body and paint are being undertaken by my oldest son and I. My son is really my inspiration for this car - he is an absolute car fanatic and it's my sincerest desire to see the car in my family for another 50 years. We're currently rebuilding the gearbox and other than something wrong with the 1st gear portion of the rebuild (it won't spin freely after reassembly for some reason), we're really enjoying getting our hands dirty and learning something new every day. It's quite rewarding and enjoyable to intimately learn so much about the car.

All for now...

Chuck

Oh, and I feel completely honored to be a part of this great BB community - especially being in the Denver, Colorado area where I know a number of the BB members reside. I'm especially fortunate to know Karen MacGowan - who my dad did business with for at least 30 years and who I now count on for advice and her infinite knowledge about Alfas.

Lastly, I highly, highly recommend Jon at The Metal Surgeons (he's the owner). His craftsmanship is second to none, he's fair in his business dealings and most importantly, he does what he says he's going to do - when he says he's going to do it, he always keeps you informed on the progress and is a pleasure to talk with. Use him - you won't regret it.

Chuck
JCDK and simon johnson like this.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 08:14 AM

A nice project! Should be quite the looker when done!

Make sure to keep us informed as to the cost of this project as it goes along. Most here have no idea what real quality work costs and this would be quite a nic e service to the BB !

'64 Guilia Spider
'67 GTV
'68 Giulia Super

Conservatives-we work hard, so you don't have to !
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 10:27 AM
Gold Subscriber

I can do that - keep track of costs that is. Going in, I guessed that it would be $20k - so, I doubled it for a budget of $40k (for the complete restoration). This assumed that metalwork, body prep and paint were all contracted out with all other restoration work done by my son and I (so, only the additional cost of the necessary parts). Time will tell - however, I'm quite confident that I haven't underestimated the costs!

Chuck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode