GTV electric fan conversion - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
GTV electric fan conversion

So I picked up this GTV a few months ago. Im preparing the car for a road trip from seattle, wa to monterey, CA. I picked up a set of alfaholics 15x7 GTA reps. And now installing the electric fan conversion. I searched for fan kits and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, so I ended up sourcing parts from two different suppliers. I'll list the parts below. I knew I wanted a proper fan switch, not the type you push through the fins on the radiator. I'm sure these work just fine, but I really didn't like the look of it. A clean engine bay is a focus of mine. I also wanted a proper relay and circuit breaker. JEGS of all places had a very nice 12" slim line fan and wiring kit with relay and circuit breaker. The kit also included a 3/8 NPT fan switch in a temp range I believe would work just fine, but I ended up not using it. I wanted to use a radiator hose insert for the fan switch and couldn't find one with a 32mm or 11\4" diameter that had a 3/8" NPT thread for the switch. Alfaholics does have one and it comes with the alfa fan swith. Both were around 60 dollars. I think this should be a nice combination. I'll post updates of the installation. There is probably already a thread on this subject, but couldn't hurt to have one more.

Parts list-
-JEGS #52131 12" ELECTRIC FAN
-JEGS #10560 Electric Fan Relay Switch
-Alfaholics Electric Fan Thermostatic Controller-In line hose version.
Name:  received_425913041085145.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  88.8 KB

Last edited by Pat74gtv2000; 03-18-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 08:22 AM

Good move. The switch housing can be sourced from an early 90s Saab Turbo and you can use an Alfetta radiator fan switch. Here is my junkyard pipe for $5 and a $20 Alfetta switch. Yours looks like it's aluminum, though. Beautiful.

I wired mine directly off the alternator though and did not use a relay. I want the fan to stay on after the car is shut off for a bit to cool off the car.
Attached Images

Stefano
Concord, CA
iachella [at] gmail [dot] com

Last edited by iachella; 03-18-2017 at 08:25 AM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Good info to have. Yeah, the alfaholics swith housing is aluminum and I'm very pleased with it as I have been with the other items I've received from them. I am using the same switch as you too. It is included with the housing.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:09 AM

What is your motivation for installing an electric cooling fan?

BTW, SPAL makes a "12 inch", low profile high output fan that is a perfect fit between the radiator and coolant pump in a GTV 2000. It is like this Italian company, SPAL, designed it for this ALFA. I've had one as a puller in a GTV for a better part of 14 years and 40K miles. Works flawlessly as does the PSM controller.
Pat74gtv2000 likes this.

Last edited by nunki; 03-20-2017 at 09:02 AM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
A few things. Quieter, I think more reliable, less rotating mass on the engine. This is only an assumption, but I thought there may be a little less engine vibration.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 11:42 AM

Cooling as a pure function of engine temperature is the best way to cool. The only reason to keep the engine fan really is for originality. I've also heard fear that the electric fan could fail someday. Sure, that risk is there, but all cars today just have an electric fan, so I don't hold that fear.

Stefano
Concord, CA
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:46 PM

Heres mine. I too split components.
Kenlowe 10" pull fan, with Revotec inline adjustable thermostat (like the Alfaholics in alloy, but adjustable)
Mounted angles on the old shroud brackets.
Attached Images

Pat74gtv2000 likes this.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Very nice! I'll try the temp switch I have currently, but I love the idea of an adjustable. I'm going to mount with able too. I just can't bring myself to use those plastic mounting clips provided. I was planning on aluminum, but otherwise just like yours
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:35 PM

If you want the adjustable later, here's a link;
Electronic Fan Controller Hose Fitting
Pat74gtv2000 likes this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you sir
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Didn't have a lot of time to work on the car this week, but managed to install the online fan switch housing. I took this opportunity to flush the system a bit, bleed out and air, and to her off. Hopeful I'll find time to install the fan and write it up this weekend.
Attached Images

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 06:28 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Pat-, Nunki, et al- if you guys don't mind, and get a chance, would you mind measuring and listing the "thickness" dimension and brand of your various electric fans as installed ?
I have found this dimension seems the most critical when doing fan conversions for both spiders and GTVs, and is why most folks ultimately decide to mount them in front of the radiator as a "pusher" type- a move that seems (to me) to be somewhat counterproductive and much more work but obviously works in most cases.
OK, not intending to start a fan wars thread, just hoping some will list dimensions for future reference as this topic surely comes up often.

Last edited by Capp; 03-23-2017 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Sp.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Yes I definitely will. I peeked at it the other day and it does look like it will fit nicely as a puller. I completely agree with you. Less obstruction in front of the radiator seems logical.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 08:49 AM

FWIW

Quote:
Originally Posted by iachella View Post
Cooling as a pure function of engine temperature is the best way to cool. The only reason to keep the engine fan really is for originality. I've also heard fear that the electric fan could fail someday. Sure, that risk is there, but all cars today just have an electric fan, so I don't hold that fear.
I ran my GTV for years w/o a fan and never had an overheating problem. Perhaps I had a low temp thermostat and was not aware of it. I only recently re-installed it for originality.

Last edited by dlbehrns; 03-23-2017 at 09:39 AM.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 09:38 AM

Good point. I also took some time, about 2 weeks, to install the electric fan after I removed the mechanical one. No overheating problems. At that time I lived in Oakland, CA which has a cool breeze in from the pacific ocean. Now I live inland with summer temps up in the 90-100F (~40C?), and the fan kicks on quite a bit. I even think I want to try a lower temp switch.

As far as size, I don't think that matters a whole lot. If it is too small, the fan will kick on more often. In the 116 cars, the early ones had one fan taking up half the radiator area, and the later ones had dual fans. Maybe the early fans didn't last as long since they operated more often. I don't know.

Stefano
Concord, CA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode