Too much rust to restore? 66 Veloce - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

btw, I didnt shoot pics of extras , but drive line incl orig italian webers, seats, most if not all trim, straight bumperrs, all are there- and all need to be redone, but at least they are accounted for. Plus I have doors, hood, trunk, and a bunch off extra stuff from my 67 GTV race car. its really the bodywork thats the major factor. Rest is work and money and time, but taken in steps is kinda fun and I enjoy hunting parts and tackling it.

Peter Inshaw
59 Touring Spider "AlfaOle", 63 Spider, 67 GTV, 91 Spider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:46 AM
Gold Subscriber

I saw a rusted GTV that was being restored and the cost of repair was $25,000.00. I would buy another body to restore.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 12:36 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinshaw View Post
btw, I didnt shoot pics of extras , but drive line incl orig italian webers, seats, most if not all trim, straight bumperrs, all are there- and all need to be redone, but at least they are accounted for. Plus I have doors, hood, trunk, and a bunch off extra stuff from my 67 GTV race car. its really the bodywork thats the major factor. Rest is work and money and time, but taken in steps is kinda fun and I enjoy hunting parts and tackling it.
Most of these cars need the following replaced no matter how they look:
  • floor panels
  • inner, outer chassis rails
  • outer sill/rocker panel
  • bottom rear of front guards
  • bottom front of rear guards
  • repairs to bottom of A and B door pillars
  • front windscreen surround or pillar repairs
  • rear windscreen surround repairs
  • front valence replace/repair due to rust or accident damage
  • rear panel due to rust or accident damage
  • boot floor repairs
  • repairs to bottom of doors
  • repairs to boot lid
So if this car is no different and the price was right, continue on as buying another shell will end up costing just as much ... unless you find a beaut that you are really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really and I mean really sure is not just paint deep.

Case in point I bought a right hand door for my GTV as the ones I original bought as replacements where for a Series I not a Series II (at the tender young age of 18 I didn't know there were differences until they arrived from America). Anyway I looked at about 5 doors and selected what I thought was the best door. Note I was really careful in this selection ... when I got around to removing the paint from this carefully selected door it was 50% bog and I ended up having to make the lower 20% of the door frame (including repair the lower door hinge area), 10% of the upper door frame, remove the skin and replace the lower 40% and so on. Honestly it was nearly as bad as my original door
Pete
pinshaw and simon johnson like this.

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PSk; 03-17-2017 at 12:42 PM.

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

You covered everything, so yes, needs all that. thank you.
We'll see what happens, cheers

Peter Inshaw
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:32 AM

Figure 20-25,000+ to have Vintage Customs restore it for you.
Gprocket has someone he works with who seems to do beautiful work from the pictures.
You won't get many shops to undertake this.
You, most likely, won't get a price you can hang your hat on, and be able to hold someone to.
You have to have an open pocket book.
When you start spending you will get hooked and be so into it that then you can't stop.

Many of us have been into this, this way.

There is a lot of bondo under nice looking paint out there. Then it starts to rust bubble.

You will find many, many people get into these projects and the money gets, well, awful. Remember time IS money. Then they give up.

So you better have a lot of money (relative), time, or both, and love your car.

If you don't love this car, find another.

As always, it's advice, and free, but the collective contributors on this thread have a lot of experience in this, so you might want to listen. And the people contributing are very good people.

Also, look at it maybe as a hobby. There are worse things to throw money at, bar tabs, women and gambling. Your car can only hurt you nonverbally, your pocketbook, in an accident, not running the way you want, getting all your work hit, dinged, stolen, you get the idea.
Sketchl likes this.

Last edited by Dr.G; 03-18-2017 at 09:59 AM.
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:52 AM

Now, that being stated, there really is nothing like a well setup late sixties Alfa to drive for beauty and fun. Getting there is the hard part.

Last edited by Dr.G; 03-18-2017 at 09:55 AM.
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 10:01 AM

My new neighbor is pretty wealthy. Has many cars. The observance he made was that out of all his cars, his 1969 Spider is the one he most enjoys driving.

That is saying something.

And, I agree.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 10:13 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Red face If only...

Unfortunately, I have no hope of ever owning a Stepnose, but it were mine and the $$$ were available, I would plunge right in.

I definitely agree with the advice to contact Darin at Vintage Customs as this is no job for the faint of heart or the novice who always wanted to tackle such a project.

Remember: God isn't making any more dirt (buy real estate) and Alfa isn't making any more of these babies!

I'll have twice that amount of $$$ invested in my nut & bolt restoration of my '64 Giulia Spider Abnormale (dual Webers).

Please keep us updated with photos of the progress so we can eat our hearts out

Oklahoma SNO Alfa Chapter Director
'64/66 Giulia Spider finally back in the garage and painted
'75 Olandase Blu Alfetta Sedan 2.0 & '88 Red Milano Verde; both long gone and dearly missed
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

ok, its been decided that between extensive rust and lack or parts, that its too much to tackle effectively
So gonna be parting it out
if anything is of interest, lmk
really the good/salvageable parts imo are the seat frames, ss bumpers & trim, steeering wheel, dash, grill, engine/tranny/driveline & carb setup
anything left over is goin on my wall
wish I had a better prognosis
cheers

Peter Inshaw
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 01:15 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Peter,

We all understand, but it's just one more that will never be on the road again....

What if we all sent you $20, each?!

'75 Olandase Blu Alfetta Sedan 2.0 & '88 Red Milano Verde; both long gone and dearly missed
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

i know, it saddens me too, I know this car, rebuilt my 67 many times over the last 30 years
so I was kinda looking forward to starting from scrathc and building it beautifully
Im open to the offer and will match the first 1000 of you....

Peter Inshaw
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 01:35 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Thumbs up

Alfisti,

We only need 1,000 of us to raise $20 each to help save this '66 Veloce from the crusher. Peter will even let each of us drive $20 worth of time once it's finished!

post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 03:09 PM

Peter, before you sell it, consider keeping it as your parts car for your next one. I have a reference car as I'm rebuilding one, and it's invaluable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode