Suspension advice - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 10:26 AM

If you have Koni shocks, check to see if they are set on "full-hard". They have to be removed from the car(if I remember correctly) or at least fully compressed to engage the setting mechanism. I have mine set "full-soft" to maintain a very comfortable ride. My 69 GTV has "street/sport" springs from Ricambi, poly bushing in the rear trailing arms, and the rest of the suspension stock. This combination was suggested by Mike Besic when I rebuilt the suspension as a way to be able to routinely drive the car without a "kidney" belt and still have some sporting nature. I have been pleased.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 01:34 PM

Id pull the konis you have, take out the rubber stop, compress and make a mark on both halves. When compressed, turn and you will feel it latch, then turn either direction until they stop. release and see how they feel, either stiffer or softer. if soft, then you are the starting point. if hard, turn opposite until at soft end. mark direction for hard vs soft. This next part is personal opinion, and you will hear many, but it gives a good start to affect change. I would leave rears at full soft, dont even change rear springs, imo they are perfect when fresh (aka not original) Set fronts to 50%, leave rubber stop off, re install and go drive it. Then redo fronts at 75% and do same. Then lastly try 100%. You can do this on the car, just disconnect one end or the other, compress and adjust them. When you find you're happy spot, replace the bumper rubber, its slotted, so can leave shock on. My 91 is set to 50% f, 0%rear and handles great, its all personal opinion. You should not be able to push front down with one hand, rear yes, front no. IMO. if you feel like you have a good start and want fresh parts, look at the entire suspension ie all the bushings, joints, steering etc as they all make a difference. Just replacing the springs isnt going to tighten it up if rest is sloppy, will never feel and respond right. Talk to Tom Sahines or anyone else you feel you can trust. Enjoy. Peter

Peter Inshaw
59 Touring Spider "AlfaOle", 63 Spider, 67 GTV, 91 Spider

Last edited by pinshaw; 03-17-2017 at 01:38 PM.
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:03 AM

ok, just found a set of the fronts in my garage and for kicks popped the bump stops and tested which way the y turn for adjusting
counter clockwise softens them, clockwise hardens them. about 2.25 turns , so if you turn all the way to the either end then rotate back a full turn plus a lil, you'll be in the middle
there is a hole on top to help push the rubber bump stop out, nothing will happen when thats in place, so kinda important.

cheers

Peter Inshaw
59 Touring Spider "AlfaOle", 63 Spider, 67 GTV, 91 Spider

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode