1966 Giulia Sprint GTV restoration - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 130 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

1966 Giulia Sprint GTV restoration

Dear Alfisti

Just bought a complete Giulia Sprint GTV. She needs a bare metal restoration. Will be sharing the progress with everyone. I will need alot of advice on the way please. I apologise in advance as the progress and replies will be slow due to my day job... First pics attached!

Best regards
VR
Attached Images

Last edited by VeloceRosso; 03-13-2017 at 11:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 130 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 01:07 PM

Welcome to the club, VR.
Your first Alfa?
I take it from the lack of seats and dust it has been sitting for a while.
BBers like lots of pictures!
Good luck with it!
post #3 of 130 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 01:27 PM
Subscribed! Should be an interesting project.

BTW, I thought you couldn't post pictures until you reached 10 posts... Good for you!

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 130 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

I've owned 3 156's in the past. Just had to get to know the real Alfa heritage first hand. My dad has always had a RWD Classic Alfa in the garage.

Thank you Ranz. Yes, she's still in storage. Will be moved to my place next week. Most valuable difficult-to-find parts have been removed eg seats. Its been > 10 years since she's been on the road..

Glad I could already post some pics gprocket. Here's a few more of the wheels. Interesting: they are wearing 185/65 R15's. I think I like the wider wheels.
Attached Images

Last edited by VeloceRosso; 07-28-2016 at 02:12 AM.
post #5 of 130 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 02:10 AM Thread Starter

Different spare wheel..
Attached Images

post #6 of 130 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 02:33 AM

Garage
Best of luck, I hope you don't have any nasty surprises once the strip down starts (like I did.....!). I'm a long term Alfa owner that's always had modern FWD cars (Sud Sprint, 164, 156 and 156 GTA) and got a 105 coupe about 18 months ago because, like you, I always wanted one of the real classic Alfas. You will really love the car once you get to drive her, mine always puts a huge smile on my face.

What are your plans? Keeping her original or some modifications? And are you doing any of the work yourself?
post #7 of 130 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 02:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelR View Post
Best of luck, I hope you don't have any nasty surprises once the strip down starts (like I did.....!). I'm a long term Alfa owner that's always had modern FWD cars (Sud Sprint, 164, 156 and 156 GTA) and got a 105 coupe about 18 months ago because, like you, I always wanted one of the real classic Alfas. You will really love the car once you get to drive her, mine always puts a huge smile on my face.

What are your plans? Keeping her original or some modifications? And are you doing any of the work yourself?
Thank you NigelR. My concern is the the sills behind the front wheelarches and in front of the rear wheelarches - it's already had repairs there.. the rest of the sills seem pretty solid. I've prepared myself for having to do extensive repairs in these areas. The rest of the car is very solid.

I want to keep it original and will try to get it as close to concourse as possible. Its very tempting though to modernize it and even change the colour if I look at what can be done with all the parts available these days.

I'm gonna try to do most of the stripping and re-assembling work myself..

It's great to know there are others who've done this before me on this forum. There's already so much info on here if you take time to search
post #8 of 130 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 09:03 AM

great project

I know all about the pace - im about two years into my restoration already!

Took best part of a year to fit out workshop, strip her down and get her media blasted. The remainder has been tackling all the holes - but mine was exceptionally bad rust wise I think. I haven't seen worse than mine on here being restored.

have fun and enjoy the journey!

1972 GT 1600 Junior
At the very start of a long restoration road....
post #9 of 130 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Thank you BigMart. Its a privilege to have the opportunity to bring one of these beauties back to life. Its a great way to get to know a car as well.

I discovered a place close to home that does dry-ice blasting. Will have to take my time stripping the car. Then plan to remove all the rust (hopefully not much) and have the necessary body work done. Then its time for dry-ice blasting and primer quickly thereafter.

Will post alot more pics when the car arrives at my place next week!
post #10 of 130 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Veloce Seats

Here are some pics of the seats.

This also leads to my first question: Does anyone have any experience in refurbishing the vinyl seat covers? They are still in very good condition apart from a few small holes. It would be a shame to have to buy new covers.

Also, the left sided seat's adjusting mechanisms cover is missing. Its gonna be a challenge to find a replacement without buying the whole assembly..
Attached Images

post #11 of 130 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 11:25 AM

This is an excellent find. Does it have 10537 on the plate?
If so its pretty rare, RHD 105.37 cars ..
Production numbers are 1407 + 380 CKD cars. This being in South Africa must be one of the 380.

I have one for sale at the moment and only 20 RHD cars have been found to survive,
Sprint GT/GTV - Classic Alfa Romeo Registry
post #12 of 130 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 02:20 AM Thread Starter

Rust

Finally the car arrived after travelling 1400km from where it had been stored.

Starting to find out the extent of the project in more detail...
Attached Images

post #13 of 130 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 03:56 AM Thread Starter

Rust

More photos
Attached Images

post #14 of 130 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 07:12 AM

VeloceRosso, Good luck with your project. I'm just starting the "excavation" on my car as well. At times, it's kind of like an archaeological dig! I found similar thicknesses of filler on my car's right rocker panel (the one that didn't look too bad), but the left one presents honestly-with large gaping holes!

So far, most of the rust/damage is fairly obvious, but I have a long way to go, so I'm a bit apprehensive about what's ahead-as I'm sure you are.

Please keep us posted on your progress. We all learn from each other here, and I'm really impressed at some of the work that I've seen. I hope to start posting pictures in the next couple of weeks. Jim
post #15 of 130 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 02:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965 Sprint GT View Post
VeloceRosso, Good luck with your project. I'm just starting the "excavation" on my car as well. At times, it's kind of like an archaeological dig! I found similar thicknesses of filler on my car's right rocker panel (the one that didn't look too bad), but the left one presents honestly-with large gaping holes!

So far, most of the rust/damage is fairly obvious, but I have a long way to go, so I'm a bit apprehensive about what's ahead-as I'm sure you are.

Please keep us posted on your progress. We all learn from each other here, and I'm really impressed at some of the work that I've seen. I hope to start posting pictures in the next couple of weeks. Jim
Thank you Jim. Yes, I'm bound to find a few more surprises me thinks.

Looking forward to see your posts.

I'll start cleaning the sills properly this weekend with a heatgun and putty knife and will send some more pics after.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode