1966 Giulia Sprint GTV restoration - Page 5 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 130 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toli0815 View Post

as for my european understanding (we are metric over here you know) can you confirm that 48in x 24in, should be sufficient material for 1x Dash. From the drop down list on Metrorestyling, this seems to be the best of choice but I'm unsure...
Yes, the 15inch x 48inch piece is big enough for one dash. You will notice that there is a small picture of a ruler on the website with a 15" on it: click on this little picture and it will give you the different 15" options... hope I'm making sense.

I measured the vinyl on my original dash this morning and is about 32cm x 122cm.

To be safe you could also go for a longer piece for eg. 15in x 90in or even longer. I decided to go with 3 seperate pieces as they can differ quite alot in their appearance. Hopefully between the 3 I will find a really beautiful one that I like.

Last edited by VeloceRosso; 10-28-2016 at 07:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 130 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 04:22 PM

This is one time you should ensure you follow the manufacturer's surface preparation instructions for the vinyl fully. Anything less than best-possible adhesion will make life harder when you try to do the gauge recesses.

On that point, it APPEARS to me that it may be smart to let the Vinyl fully cure on the face of the dash before you try to stretch the material down into the gauge recesses. I think that should reduce the tendency for the vinyl to lift/shrink away from the concave face when you apply heat to do the recess sections. I think I tried to do too much at once.

I recall Later seeing an 'in progress' photo by Franjo Mokina which appeared to do this, and if you were looking to follow best practice, he's the man.

If I do this again, that is what I will try.

BUT, this is untested - at least by me - It may be helpful if someone can confirm if this a better approach.

Last edited by Ranz; 10-29-2016 at 01:58 AM.
post #63 of 130 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranz View Post

I recall Later seeing an 'in progress' photo by Franjo Mokina which appeared to do this, and if you were looking to follow best practice, he's the man.
Thank you Ranz.

Do you perhaps have the link for Franjo's post? He has too many posts for me to filter through. Otherwise I will send him a pm.

post #64 of 130 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 06:42 PM

Sorry, I do not.
I did try to turn it up, but couldn't.
Franjo does this sort of thing for a living, and may not want to give up all his secrets, but might be happy to pass on a few tips.
In my searching, other posters reiterated proper priming etc, but I didn't see any fuller discussion on 2-stages like I suggested.
VeloceRosso likes this.
post #65 of 130 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Rotisserie

Its great to be able to see the whole body in detail once its on the rotisserie.

Nest step will be to media blast the exposed rust on the middle and inner sills. Then its reconstructive surgery time...

Apologies for the rotated images.
Attached Images

post #66 of 130 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 05:27 AM Thread Starter

Engine rebuilt

I was lucky enough to get one of the most knowledgeable and skillful Alfa experts around to overall the engine.

The result of his expertise and passion...
Attached Images

Last edited by VeloceRosso; 12-26-2016 at 11:20 PM. Reason: spelling
post #67 of 130 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 07:27 AM

Engine looks good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
VeloceRosso likes this.
post #68 of 130 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 11:52 AM

Can I have this engine to put in my recently done 66? Awesome!

Name:  20161223_080515.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  62.8 KB
post #69 of 130 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66ScalinoGTV View Post
Can I have this engine to put in my recently done 66? Awesome!

Attachment 1165257
I can only hope my car's body turns out as well as yours. Fantastic job.
post #70 of 130 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 02:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to Erik
Engine looks brilliant body very good (though the red front isn't my cup of tee, but its your car):-)
post #71 of 130 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
Engine looks brilliant body very good (though the red front isn't my cup of tee, but its your car):-)
Eric, I took the opportunity to post a picture of my car in VeloceRosso's thread.

VR, I can delete my post so no one confuses our builds if you like.
post #72 of 130 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloceRosso View Post
I was lucky enough to get one of the most knowledgeable and skillful Alfa experts around to overall the engine.

The result of his expertise and passion...
The outside looks nice and clean, but what are the overhaul details and work done on the engine?????
For example, has the crankshaft been measured, maybe grinded to undersize. cleaning of the oil supply channels, balancing of the shaft incl flywheel. weight measured and equalised of the pistons, and conrods. Linebore of the engine block, checking of the engine block has no cracks, which is rater common for these Veloce engine blocks... etc. etc.

GT 1300 Junior ('67) GT Junior 1300 Unificato ('75)
Giulia NS 1.3 TS ('77) 156 SW GTA ('02) & 159 SW Ti RossoCompetizione
post #73 of 130 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 07:09 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
MiaGiulia,
Why do you sound so doubtful? Is there a reason why you think that that goegeous engine hasn't been as well built as it looks?

Current
1984 Spider Veloce Deluxe
1969 GT 1300 JR
1969 1750 Spica Spider Veloce
1963 MGB
1952 MG TD
Others??!!!😃😃
post #74 of 130 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66ScalinoGTV View Post
Eric, I took the opportunity to post a picture of my car in VeloceRosso's thread.

VR, I can delete my post so no one confuses our builds if you like.
No, to me its an honor to have your car on this thread. In fact, I was first to post a photo of your car on this thread :-D
post #75 of 130 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIaGiulia View Post
The outside looks nice and clean, but what are the overhaul details and work done on the engine?????
For example, has the crankshaft been measured, maybe grinded to undersize. cleaning of the oil supply channels, balancing of the shaft incl flywheel. weight measured and equalised of the pistons, and conrods. Linebore of the engine block, checking of the engine block has no cracks, which is rater common for these Veloce engine blocks... etc. etc.
The exterior is just the cherry on top. The engine needed extensive work: luckily the original block and top could be saved but needed some engineering work to open and do welding and refinishing. New pistons and sleeves were fitted. Balancing has been done.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode