1966 Giulia Sprint GTV restoration - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 140 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Latest sill pics:
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 140 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloceRosso View Post
Aplogies for using your pic without permission. I would have loved to paint my car medium blue. The Porsche colour is also very good looking.. even more classic.
No worries. Feel free to use the pictures. Let me know if you need additional angles.
post #48 of 140 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Wow, that is a real inspiration. Also good to know that one may be able to get the leather interior through Alfaholics.
And the guys from AH most probabbly get the interior parts somewhere in Italy.

GT 1300 Junior ('67) GT Junior 1300 Unificato ('75)
Giulia NS 1.3 TS ('77) 156 SW GTA ('02) & 159 SW Ti RossoCompetizione

post #49 of 140 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

Leather interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIaGiulia View Post
And the guys from AH most probabbly get the interior parts somewhere in Italy.
Found out that you can't get the leather interior via AH. Need to get it direct from Italy.
post #50 of 140 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

Replacement panels

Car is currently at media blasting.

Some pics of the replacement panels acquired so far. Also busy with dash refurbishment...
Attached Images

post #51 of 140 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 09:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to Erik
When I bought my Spider 1750 S2 1970 it was advertised as "All new". It was mechanical, paint, interior, exterior and a very presentably car.
BUT the sills had some cracking. I haggled the price down an amount I thought would cover renewal of the sills.
My body man opened one side at a time. They were filled with building foam. What the body man did was he cut the sills and lower wings off about 1" below the door slam. That way he could weld in new middle sills and self constructed outer sills and lower wing repair panels. Remember, you shall be able to see the junction between the sills and the front and rear fenders
Apart from the sills etc he did some minor repairs to the bottom panels.
Did my calculation hold - NO, it ran up to $ 4.000 + an expensive camera (his hobby is Märklin toy trains which he buy and sells on eBay etc. and needed a pro camera for ads), I bought the camera via my business and deducted in the annual report. We all have to live ;-)
post #52 of 140 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 06:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
What the body man did was he cut the sills and lower wings off about 1" below the door slam. That way he could weld in new middle sills and self constructed outer sills and lower wing repair panels.
Sounds like good advice. I will ask my body man to also try to only cut below the door slam. If one can get away without disrupting the original door openings that would avoid alot of headaches in fitment of the doors afterwards.
post #53 of 140 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 01:11 AM

What Faux Wood ref's do you use for the dash?

Quote:
Also busy with dash refurbishment...
Hi VeloceRosso,

can you please provide us w/the references of the "Faux-Wood Vinyl Film/Plastic Film", you have found to be a good match for replacing the original?

I'm in the process of doing the same and I proves difficult for me to find a good match and source (Although Di-Noc from 3 M seems a good source it's kind of hard to come by in small quantities and the delivery time seems horrendous)

Thanks in advance for your support and best regards

Thomas
post #54 of 140 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 02:55 AM

I have been corresponding with James re the Faux wood grain . He put me on the 3M product which we are both going to use. I have exactly the same alfa a 66gtv resto. I received samples yesterday and ...THE CHERRY TEAK WOOD VINYL, CODED 3M DI NOC355825. Its the best choice of stains available , not a perfect match, but definitely a very nice finish ...for me its close enough. The company name is METRORESTYLING ph. 888 4884695. If anyone wants my samples I will mail them to you and you can go from there. I have light cherry, cherry teak, and walnut. Walnut may be a slightly closer choice to original, but very dull, not a good looker. I'm close to the border so I will drive to Alden ny to pick up my order ...free shipping in the States and pick up few other alfa parts at the same time. My cost will be approx.$125 to $150 ...buying more than necessary , re back up. PM or post me if I can help.
post #55 of 140 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 05:56 AM

Hi there Kempton,

I send you a PM, Thanks.

Thomas Linser
post #56 of 140 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Faux wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempton View Post
I have been corresponding with James re the Faux wood grain . He put me on the 3M product which we are both going to use. I have exactly the same alfa a 66gtv resto. I received samples yesterday and ...THE CHERRY TEAK WOOD VINYL, CODED 3M DI NOC355825. Its the best choice of stains available , not a perfect match, but definitely a very nice finish ...for me its close enough. The company name is METRORESTYLING ph. 888 4884695. If anyone wants my samples I will mail them to you and you can go from there. I have light cherry, cherry teak, and walnut. Walnut may be a slightly closer choice to original, but very dull, not a good looker. I'm close to the border so I will drive to Alden ny to pick up my order ...free shipping in the States and pick up few other alfa parts at the same time. My cost will be approx.$125 to $150 ...buying more than necessary , re back up. PM or post me if I can help.
Ditto..

Remember to order the vinyl in 15" x 48" pieces (large enough for the dash) with 15" the width. The pattern runs along the length of the piece. I've ordered 3 of those to allow for a practice run and a spare. Hopefully between the 3 of them I will find one that looks similar to this GTA dash:
Attached Images

post #57 of 140 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

Media Blasting

Things are moving along nicely. She's at the media blaster at the moment.

I'm discovering a few more surprises along the way like many a wise man on here have told me I would..

Turns out the car has had a good knock on the left front before and many more rusted spots revealed.
Attached Images

Last edited by VeloceRosso; 11-21-2016 at 05:11 AM.
post #58 of 140 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

More pics of rusted panels, but overall not too bad. Sill pics to follow next week I hope...
Attached Images

post #59 of 140 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 07:06 AM

VeloceRosso,

you write: " Remember to order the vinyl in 15" x 48" pieces (large enough for the dash) with 15" the width"

as for my european understanding (we are metric over here you know) can you confirm that 48in x 24in, should be sufficient material for 1x Dash. From the drop down list on Metrorestyling, this seems to be the best of choice but I'm unsure...

Would you mind making up a Tutorial about "Stepnose flat dash refurbishing" once you've completed the job?

Kind regards

Thomas
post #60 of 140 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toli0815 View Post

Would you mind making up a Tutorial about "Stepnose flat dash refurbishing" once you've completed the job?
Hi Thomas

Have a look at this thread.

67 GTV... Time to start sorting her out.

AaronC has to get the credit. I'm just gonna try and copy what he did.

Good luck with your project.

I will try to give details of my dash refurbishment as I go along though

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode