1966 Giulia Sprint GTV restoration - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 130 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 04:45 AM

Garage
Looks like it may have a bit more than "minimal rust"....... What do you think so far? Any nasty surprises or about what you expected?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 130 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloceRosso View Post
Thank you Jim. Yes, I'm bound to find a few more surprises me thinks.

Looking forward to see your posts.

I'll start cleaning the sills properly this weekend with a heatgun and putty knife and will send some more pics after.
The surprises on a 50 year old Alfa 105 series is not if there is rust, the surprise is only for those place if it's not rusted!!!!
Standard replacement of sills (outside, centre and inside), floors, jacking points, wheels arches (inside and outside) are to be considered as standard. Good thing is all of these body parts are more or less available and makes it easy to build up/ reconstruct the car again.

Anyway keep us updated and posting the photo's of your project.

GT 1300 Junior ('67) GT Junior 1300 Unificato ('75)
Giulia NS 1.3 TS ('77) 156 SW GTA ('02) & 159 SW Ti RossoCompetizione
post #18 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 01:28 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Looks very much like how my car looked when I bought her. Maybe I should not have said that ...

But as has been said you can buy really good replacement panels now

Will be watching and best of luck
Pete

post #19 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

I have to admit that I'm worried that I may have to replace more of the sills than I had expected. Was hoping that I would only have to weld in new outer front and rear wing repair sections. Rust looks worse and might be extending into the middle and even inner sills esp. on the right rear.

Will know more details after the weekend I hope. All part of the fun of restoring a 50 year old Alfa!
post #20 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloceRosso View Post
I have to admit that I'm worried that I may have to replace more of the sills than I had expected. Was hoping that I would only have to weld in new outer front and rear wing repair sections. Rust looks worse and might be extending into the middle and even inner sills esp. on the right rear.

Will know more details after the weekend I hope. All part of the fun of restoring a 50 year old Alfa!
Veloce rosso, just do it right straight away, and replace in case of rust the whole sill. This is part of the stiffness of the body, and most probabbly the bottom part of the A-pillar is also damaged by rust. When replacing complete sills it works much easyer and you are assured you have it done the right way. Cost wise it's also worthwhile to avoid have work. They GT Veloce has become a highly interested model within the 105 GT range. So your money is well invested.

GT 1300 Junior ('67) GT Junior 1300 Unificato ('75)
Giulia NS 1.3 TS ('77) 156 SW GTA ('02) & 159 SW Ti RossoCompetizione
post #21 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIaGiulia View Post
Veloce rosso, just do it right straight away, and replace in case of rust the whole sill. This is part of the stiffness of the body, and most probabbly the bottom part of the A-pillar is also damaged by rust. When replacing complete sills it works much easyer and you are assured you have it done the right way. Cost wise it's also worthwhile to avoid have work. They GT Veloce has become a highly interested model within the 105 GT range. So your money is well invested.
Thank you MlaGiulia. Was only hoping not to have to replace the complete sills because I have seen too many 105's where the doors and the sills don't follow the same curvature (at the bottom edge of the doors). I hope that with the new replacement parts available that would not be a problem if you pay special attention to making the doors fit perfectly.

Last edited by VeloceRosso; 09-04-2016 at 11:21 AM.
post #22 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

More pics of my progress in exploring the sills. First pictures are of the right front and the next set is of the right rear.
Attached Images

post #23 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Photos of the left side behind front wheelarch.

Removed sooo much body putty. Also looks like lead was used to fill up the 'seam line' where the outer sill runs beneath the wheel arch panel.
Attached Images

post #24 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Even some rust found on the left front floorpan
Attached Images

post #25 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

I now have a better idea of the severity of the rust on the sills.

Both outer sills will need to be replaced and will also need the A post inner repair section as well as the A pillar repair section itself on the left.

Pics of right rear and left front (not sure why pic gets uploaded upside down every time)
Attached Images

post #26 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 02:21 AM

On the positive side....you're pretty lucky with the floors, if that pic is the worst of it.
post #27 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 05:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranz View Post
On the positive side....you're pretty lucky with the floors, if that pic is the worst of it.
Also just a small spot on the driver's side floorpan
Attached Images

post #28 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 05:18 AM Thread Starter

Rust extending to the middle sill and probably also all along the inside of the outer sill.

Will have to replace outer and middle sills on both sides as MlaGiulia rightly suggested earlier.
Attached Images

post #29 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 02:59 PM

Veloce Rosso, how are the Springboks doing? OK I think can I give you some valuable advice as I'm close to completing a 3 yr restoration on my 66 Veloce, check out my thread ...66 veloce resto Kempton. You have one of the most coveted year and model in the Alfa Romeo line, so that's a great start. Initially I knew absolutely ZEROOOOO on this car! The saviour is alfabb....the guys on the site have a TONNNNNNNN of info. There is NO chance I get my car restored properly without the members!!!!!
So if you like pm me your phone number , I can call you from skype up here in Toronto. It costs just pennies this way and its far easier by phone I think , to get any info you need. In effect I will pass on what I know. With all of the other members who have responded it should get you on the right track!
Pm me if interested. GOOD LUCK
VeloceRosso likes this.
post #30 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 04:29 AM

Don't underestimate rust. You wont know exactly how much until you blast it. As one of the guys mentioned, its standard on a plus 50 yr old to replace floor pans, all 3 rockers, rear wheel arches, jack points, so you want it ALL gone. It wont be cheap however if paint and body are not done correctly your value goes south. I'm several weeks away from getting the bodywork completed on my 66 gtv , then its stage 1 paint. Pm me if you like , I can phone you re general info.
VeloceRosso likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode