Oh god...now I'm really addicted (second 74 GTV for me!) - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Exclamation Oh god...now I'm really addicted (second 74 GTV for me!)

Ummm....I gotta put the blame all on you guys.

Since I bought my first GTV (see thread here Just picked up a '74 GTV 2000.....what did I just get myself into?) and because I never got to really drive the **** thing, and because I spend like 90% of my time on these forums, added to the fact that I'll probably have to wait another year before I ever drive GTV #1, I went ahead and bought myself a second GTV!

CURSE YOU ALL!

I found this one in Maine (same place as the first one!), coincidentally, however this one is not the rust bucket the first one has turned out to be.

It's a '74, AC car, used by the previous owner as an autocross car, hence the bumper removal, racing harness and lowered suspension, plus a few missing interior pieces, AC compressor etc.

It has an ANSA exhaust, Webers and what seems to be a pretty fancy header, as opposed to the stock 2-piece cast iron manifold.

Body is in decent shape, the previous owner seems to have had the car primered (its original color was Rosso Amaranto) and there is a bit of bondo here and there. I dont see any evidence of major rust like my other car. The floors are not in the greatest shape, but they exist, so thats all I care about. The underside is surprisingly dry and rot free, but who knows whats under the primer.

My plan is to make it into a decent driver, not fully restore it. I just wanna have fun with the thing! And I kinda like how it looks....it's a bit of a rat-rod. Maybe eventually get it painted up to driver quality.

It starts and runs, but I have a bit of wiring to sort out (turn signal relay), install some mirrors and just make sure its safe overall.

I cant wait to drive it!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 02:35 PM

Congrats on GTV number 2. I hope you can quickly get it on the road and use it rather than launching another restoration project.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 04:13 PM

Garage
Congrats, how much did you pay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 04:19 PM

I think you were smart to pick up a runner. If you are going to drive it, you should add some air cleaners. Those ram horns may add a few hp at high rpm, but the noise will drive you nuts and your engine won't be happy breathing debris.

Most Alfas go from southern California to Maine - not the other way!

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Actually it was Maryland where I got both cars..dunno why I wrote Maine.

But yes, either way, I should be sticking to West Coast cars! Impossible to find one for below $30K here tho.

Now that I have a runner, I'll have plenty of questions regarding mechanicals, since I never really got to drive or even get the engine running on the other one (just tore it down as soon as I got it).

So far, I have changed the oil and filter, changed the fuel filter (drained out the old gas at the same time) and plugs. I will put some real air cleaners on, as I dont trust those air horns at all! They look cool though.

The engine starts up, but it runs a bit lumpy, and the idle seems pretty low. Any guidance on adjusting the carbs for beginners?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 04:02 PM

I did the same thing. Then bought a 67 Super for a third one...

Now when you need to order a part, you just order 2-3 of them so you have a spare.

67 Super, 71 GTV, 74 GTV, 11 Jag XJ, 12 FJ Cruiser, 15 Lexus GS460, 14 Ducati Monster, 1975 Trans Am
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH Classics View Post
The engine starts up, but it runs a bit lumpy, and the idle seems pretty low. Any guidance on adjusting the carbs for beginners?
One good source is at: Daves home page

You need to verify that the carb jetting is at least close before beginning to adjust the carbs. Not to criticize your new baby, but a PO who would put those ram tubes on a street car may have believed that bigger chokes & jets produce bigger power.

So step one is to remove all the carb's jets, air correctors and chokes, make sure they are the same size front and rear, and verify that they correspond to Dave Andrews' sizing guidelines. If something is way off, order and install correctly sized jets before proceeding.

It only makes sense to adjust the idle mixture screws once you have the jets right.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 06-17-2016 at 04:48 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 08:39 PM

I just sorted my carbs.

This is a good reference for the jetting of webers on an alfa.

Good advice to look up what you have (40s or 45s) and see what the stock jetting shoudl be..assuming the engine is stock. Remove your main idle and pump jets and see what you have compared to the recommendations

68' Parisian Alfa GTV 1750
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 09:33 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Keep in mind that most primers are not waterproof, in a way. They don't really seal, and I've seen rust form on the metal under the primer. If nothing else, you might think about Maaco or Earl to put a basic color on it with real paint, until you get a real paint job.

Del

Seattle

89 Milano (wife's daily driver since 1989, Shankle Sport)
91 164S (my daily driver since 1994)
94 164LS (~Q) (trip Alfa since 2000)
72 Morgan 27 (water time since 1976)

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
So after almost a year of playing around with Beta Romeo (as I call her), finally found a good body shop. Was going to go in for a simple metal repair and paint, but it turned into a complete tear down and now a bare metal repaint. Amazing to see what was covered in all that primer and TONS of bondo!

Drivers side isn't so bad, but passenger side rear fender has been hacked up and welded up in like 3 different pieces. Going to replace the whole rear fender, among other things. Excited to see the turn out!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 12:48 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
I'm getting worried as they are starting to look better to me in bare metal and minus windscreens ... maybe I should see somebody

Get it back on the road asap and enjoy!
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PSk; 03-18-2017 at 12:30 AM.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 01:06 PM

looks like were in the same boat, glwr, except your was a runner and together before hand

Peter Inshaw
59 Touring Spider "AlfaOle", 63 Spider, 67 GTV, 91 Spider

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode