Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Greetings

3K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  bsterling 
#1 ·
Hello, I've recently purchased a project, for which I've seen mentioned in many previous posts dating back to 2008...1973 1600 GT Junior RHD.

for the past 6 months I have been going through the car to verify its originality and mechanical condition, surprised its in relatively good shape (despite the rear axle breaking last week).

As i begin to put the car back together, i look forward and thank everyone in advance for their expertise...

first question...trying to locate dash chrome and wood replacement for a RHD....any ideas??

#5 ·
that looks like the right fit....thanks! would have never known to look at a 1750, i debated just going with a whole new dash due to some abuse to the heater lever opening and still not ruling it out
the console is coming out, going back to a gear shift gaiter....

#8 ·
I dont think so, the console in attached pic is what I understand my console is trying to emulate...but comes up very short.....doesn't even appear to be a factory item. luckily the original ash tray was provided so I think going back to the gaiter is best.....your input on reconstructive surgery is appreciated, I foresee many questions from me on the details of these interiors in the near future.....

Attachments

#9 ·
When you say it "comes up short" are you referring to the front end where it fits up under the dash? If so, it could be a 2000GTV console that was used with A/C. Those consoles were shortened to make room for the A/C unit. The physical shape of your console from the gearshift on back matches a 2000 console.

#10 ·
heres another view (provided by seller in listing) ....would the 2000 console have zero purpose other than to cover the gearshift and provide a tray? no housing of gauges or heater levers?
the other issue is the current heater levers are falling out/off the dash. poor attempts to remount by previous owner has left dash around this area with screw holes. frustrating not having a visual guide/road map for which to compare and determine if a new dash would be a less painful the way to go?

Attachments

#11 ·
Yes, your current center console serves no other purpose than to pretty up the gear shift and store your loose change and house keys.

Both the 1750 and 2000 center consoles were the mounting locations for the heater controls, so a previous owner mounted them in the dash.

A 1750 console should look like this:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/daveseven/2720494621

It's certainly possible to get a 1750 or 2000 center console and relocate the gauges, switches and controls to their factory locations.

It depends upon what you want. I'd advise you to do some homework and look at the available reference pictures that are readily on the web. Once you decide, I'm sure there are numerous BB members who will offer their advice on how to get it done.

#12 ·
I'm not sure where you are located or what market your car originated in, but even though it's a '73, your dash and door handles would say that your car has the interior of a 1750.

Whatever you decide, you'll need to consider where and how to mount the heater controls, gauges and switches that used to be on the center console, how to conceal wiring and cables, etc.

The "easiest "fix would seem to be to return it back to the 1750 configuration. The hard part will be finding a suitable replacement console and rear section that extends back to the rear seat. I imagine they are hard to come by these days.

#13 ·
the car and I reside in norcal...Monterey, I agree and appreciate the input, the 1750 configuration is attractive but I was fearful of developing a franken-alfa so my default was to original 73 gt junior pics which are primary LHD and I understand came with a variety of options based on manufacturing date.

This car was manufactured on June 8th, 1973 and sold on June 19th, 1973 on the island of Cyprus. Original body color was Pine Green with Maremma wild boar tex interior...haven't been able to find examples of original interiors & seat color/pattern....biting off the dash first then on to carpet and seats..reference to a 72 color chart is the closest i've come

Attachments

#14 ·
It wouldn't surprise me if your car came with a 1750 interior even with a '73 mfg date. Other GTJr owners on the BB who have reported similar anomalies that don't make sense when compared to the US Spec cars.

If you want to return the car to some semblance of originality, 1750 door panels and seat coverings are readily available. You can buy new map pockets as well. All you need is the center console. If you want a 2000 interior, add to it not only the dash, but converting all of the instrument gauges as well. Personally, I'd stick with the 1750 look.

Since your in NorCal, you are blessed with good sized local Alfa community. I would put out a BOLO for the center console, call APE and ask Larry to put you on a wait list, and troll eBay on a regular basis. You'll find one eventually.

PS: Great the color combo on your GTJ

#16 ·

Attachments

#17 ·
I do not, only that i'm working with attached...this is another anomaly, the parts supply sources claim they offer original GTj but I dont see anyway to qualify what is truly original to this car. I can foresee needing to compromise on interior details based on availability and coorindaitng components...particularly the color...highly unlikely I will find a interiors package to original 'Maremma wild boar tex ' spec....but I can dream :)

Attachments

#18 ·
Vinyl interior parts are available from many Alfa suppliers, can't comment on tex though. The dashboard trim is NLA, I spent year or so to find one. I kept seeing one for RHD on either UK or Australian ebay, can't remember exactly. You can post a "Wanted" ad in classifieds section on here, might get lucky.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.