Gas tank brass drain plug 67 gtv - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Gas tank brass drain plug 67 gtv

I have a gas tank out of the car for a 67 gtv the drain plug is brass allen plug i tried with a metric allen wrench and penitrating oil to remove it the wrench at first fit snug i held it firmly down and tried with an extender and light tapping with a mallet and i slightly rounded the plug so it does fit snug anymore. I didnt want to apply heat in case there was still residual gasoline...so my question is what is the least destructive way i can get it out and where do i find a replacement with metric threads
any thought s and input would be greatly appreciacted
thanks john
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 10:33 PM

Question Stripped/Cracked allen plug

Hi, I have the same problem. There are two pictures of the allen plug. How do I ged it out without damaging threads?

Thank you very much.
Mira
Attached Images

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Method 1 would be to get the largest easy out you could without going beyond the size of the drain plug
the down side once you get the easy out in and begin attempting to turn it, it could break leaving you in
a bigger mess since now the hole is blocked and more difficult to drill or next to impossible
Method 2 which I did was to drill in the center of the drain plug and gradually enlarging the hole without
exceeding the perimeter size hoping the walls of the plug would collapse and release from the threads on the tank, that didnt happen in my case. I looked in from the top where the sender unit fits and there was
rust in that area so I assumed the two metals were almost welded. I measured the diameter of the plug
from the outside and went to a foreign parts store that has a lot of V.W. parts and they had a metric plug
sorry i dont recall the size but if you want i can get it to you tomorrow So I measure the size and pitch
of the plug and bought a corresponding tap and a metric step down drill bit to drill the remaining wall of the plug out. I would welcome any other thoughts.
John

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 12:37 AM

Hi John,

Thank you for the reply. I was considering drilling it until the plug collapsed. I was hoping there would be a safer option. I'll drill it tomorrow. I let you know if it worked out

Yes, if you can measure it that would be great. But if not that's cool. I'm pretty sure I can find one that fits.

Thank you very much.

Mira
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Mira

I would greatly appreciate it if you would tell me the way you get it and how you get the walls of the plug to collapse. Did you over size the hole or maintain the original size and what was that. Mine is 18mm
Thanks
John
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 08:59 PM

Hi John,

I got the allen plug out today. I tried to take it out with easy out? But that was a fail. The easy out was cutting through the brass. So I had to drill it out. First the hole wasn't in the center but I centered it with a cone drill bit. I drilled it carefully as far as I felt safe and then used a round file to get the rest. I was going really slow until I saw a line of the threads. It was very time consuming because I didn't want to over do it and damage the threads. Then pulled it out with a little hook. I'll measure the original size tomorrow. I'll take the gas tank with me to a hardware store and find a bolt that fits.
Attached Images

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Mira thanks for the update, i am so glad you got it without enlarging the hole great work
i am looking forward to hearing back from you on the size. I went back to vw parts store and they didnt have any plugs,out, of stock. I went to ace hardware and they had only us
pipe thread plugs. I would like to keep it metric. I looked on line and they had tapered
and non tapered brass plugs i dont know the difference or what is in there. I am anxious
to hear back from you. Meantime i will follow your advise drill more and use the file or maybe i will wait for your response and get a tap and try to remove the remaining material
john
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 11:03 PM

Hi John,

Thank you for the info. I didn't have much time to look into it today but this is what I've found out so far. Mine plug thread is most likely M16x1.5 male. So far I took it to Home Depot and Autozone, no success on finding M16x1.5. I want to take the gas tank to a hardware store and make sure it fits. I'll take a picture of the little hook that I used to get it out and how the thread looks. I'm going to take the pics tomorrow.

Míra
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 12:48 PM

Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentlez View Post
Hi John,

I got the allen plug out today. I tried to take it out with easy out? But that was a fail. The easy out was cutting through the brass. So I had to drill it out. First the hole wasn't in the center but I centered it with a cone drill bit. I drilled it carefully as far as I felt safe and then used a round file to get the rest. I was going really slow until I saw a line of the threads. It was very time consuming because I didn't want to over do it and damage the threads. Then pulled it out with a little hook. I'll measure the original size tomorrow. I'll take the gas tank with me to a hardware store and find a bolt that fits.
Wow! Nice work.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 12:59 PM

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks mira for the feedback. I johnwaiting to hear what your outcome is with the plug.
Are you going to buy a tap 16mm or wait until you find the plug. Maybe with your meticulous work you dont need to chase the threads
john
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Mira
i found a brass plug m15x1.5 with allan head on ebay for $3.00 but i dont its quality
since it is coming from china
john

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode