Bare Metal Rebuild Phase III: Reassembly - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastiaan View Post
No, no additional holes. The sidelights have specially shaped "washers" that hook behind the bodywork and thus fix them in place. I'll try to find a picture...
Scratch that, I've just looked at my own car and indeed there is a small hole on the "inboard" side just like on Pete's. Whoops...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-mm View Post
Do the channels ever show a gap as seen below, or do they hold tight to the flange on the body?
IMO, it's more important that the channel fits as close to the body as possible along its flat side, especially along the curves at the base of the A Pillar and top of the door jamb. If there is a gap, the total measured length of the channel run decreases, and your gasket won't need to stretch as much upon fit up. So the effective gasket thickness is a but more if there are gaps. With all the issues people have had with door gaskets and closure, anything you do to minimize possible issues can make a difference.

PS: Don't forget to use a thin layer of strip caulking behind all the trim that contacts your body work paint to prevent future corrosion points.

Ken
'73 GTV
post #48 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Guys can someone tell me what the right finish for the windshield wiper arms is? Bright/mirror or more of a brushed look?

'73 GTV bare metal project
E30 Daily - '65 912 project in waiting

post #49 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 08:32 PM

Non-glare would be correct for a '73 due to DOT regs at that time.

Ken
'73 GTV
post #50 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 01:48 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by r-mm View Post
You don't happen to know about the difference in bumpers from the USA (indicator under bumper) and Euro (indicator in body) cars do you? From browsing the internet and parts diagrams it seems to me there is a slight depression in the Euro bumper to allow the indicators to clear it - any other differences?
Sorry no idea other than my cars front bumper has the depression.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #51 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 05:06 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
Sorry no idea other than my cars front bumper has the depression.
Pete
That is the only difference I am aware of other than late GTJrs went without overiders.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-club-canada-toronto-chapter/149533-alfa-parts-garage-sale.html
post #52 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Im trying to see if i can reply straight from my phone. The future! Has anyone repaired the electrical connections at the rear windscreen? I have one good one missing.
Attached Images

chinocapuchino likes this.
post #53 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Permatex seems to have solved this problem nicely. Now I just need to make myself a little tab to glue on.
Attached Images

post #54 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Well the weather is turning here in CT and it gave me clearing to move my nearly complete motor from my old rental garage into my new place. Should I fabricate a driveshaft and install it in the back of the Ranger? No, probably not.

I'm prepping for my headliner install, and will collect all the information I've inherited / created / borrowed into this thread when my supplies arrive and the install is in progress. Meanwhile I'm test fitting all the parts which interface with the headliner such as interior SS trim, F/R glass seals and so forth. It came to my attention that my car came to me without a rear parcel shelf so I made one from tempered hardboard. I drilled the holes for the rear seatback locating pegs. Anything else I need to be aware of with regards to the fit of this shelf before I upholster it in black vinyl? I have the hardboard fairly tight to the metal on all sides, but checked it'll clear the rear screen seal.
Attached Images

post #55 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 12:47 PM

Garage
I'm actually in the process of tearing down my car, pretty much at the exact opposite stage as where you are!

So if you have any questions, or need detailed shots of certain things, let me know!
post #56 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 06:10 PM
PSk

Are you going to put any foam (or sound deadening) above the headliner and in/on the pillars?

I believe there was originally.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #57 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 06:53 PM
Gold Subscriber

There is just something sexy about that engine with the black cam cover.

But, I like black negligee too.

STILL learning.

View my '74 GTV restoration at:

View my '91 164s adventure at:

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona
post #58 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Pete - yes for sure. Rossano has been advising me on foam selection and I should have a full suite of products at the garage next week. I believe I'm going to use double foil faced foam on the roof where the headliner isn't in very tight contact with the foam, and where the majority of the heat gains would come from. I also feel much more comfortable with the foil - body bond than I do with a foam - body bond, and its most critical overhead. I'll use a yellow upholstery or landau foam for the pillars and edges.
mathcg likes this.

post #59 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Headliner install started

First steps on the headliner.

I refit the bow into the headliner pocket and was initially a bit confused by its loose fit and propensity to come out of the holes in the body. I think I've discovered that it really needs to be rotated with its hoop pressing up on the roof (as shown in the first picture) to give it some 'spring' and keep it in place. Does that seem right? I know the rubber ends are supposed to keep it from vibrating loose but it seems a slightly dicey proposition.

I started loose fitting foil faced foam to the roof. Many years ago (as in, five) I did this exact thing, thinking I was weeks away from reassembly. Ha! Well at least I know from the intervening years, temperature cycles, that my foil faced foam and 3M Super Yellow Trim Adhesive (8090) held the foam in place very well. That and the fact that its 1/4" and can be slipped into the recesses for a physical attachment makes me confident that it'll stay put. If I understand the headliner and advice received correctly, the crucial spots that need a soft foam of the appropriate thickness are where the vinyl turns corners or is in direct contact with the body, such as the 'sunroof' ring and perimeter. So now I'm waiting for a variety of thicknesses of foam to arrive so I can start test fitting.
Attached Images

chinocapuchino likes this.

post #60 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 10:23 PM
PSk

I will let somebody more experienced answer ... but regarding the bow I believe you are right.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode