Bare Metal Rebuild Phase III: Reassembly - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 208 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 10:12 AM
Gold Subscriber

Hello RMM I don't have a thread on mine Im going by this wonderful alfa forum and threads by you and daveydog ,nothin to be embarrassed its guys like you that inspire others,Im also installing same 3MM floor deadener that you used,r you using insulation on top of 3MM deadener? sorry for all the questions Im trying to get as much info as I can,by the way your thread on headliner removal is very informative,and Im glad I took mine out the underneath was in horrible shape,I was going to use vinyl paint just to make it look good but after seeing your thread it gave me the motivation to replace it.sorry for all the rambling .again thanks

Ben Serpico. 74 gtv 75 alfetta 76 gtv
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 208 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Hey nothing to apologize about! Safe to say we all logged in here to ramble about old cars.

For the floors:
On top of the 3M sound deadener I am going to use the same double foil faced radiant foam insulation that I used in my headliner thread, but I won't install it until the car is almost finished as I'd likely rip/crush it in the interim.

For the headliner:
I'm ONLY using the foil faced foam as it is extremely light and in no danger of falling / causing the HL to sag. I had it installed for several years before I had the car media blasted at which point it was removed. I'll re-install it using 3M spray adhesive just like I did the first time. I'm fairly sure this is the stuff EZ Cool Automotive Insulation heat barrier and noise reduction for cars, trucks, classic cars, street rods and much more
cuorealfa likes this.

'73 GTV bare metal project
E30 Daily - '65 912 project in waiting
post #33 of 208 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-mm View Post
Scott - yes a picture would be great, it'd be interesting to see if anyone else has seen that caulk. It would be surprising to me if it were original, but who knows.
Ok, give me a few days on the pictures.

Scott

72 GT Junior, Amaranth Red/tan; 66 Fairlane GT convt, 428, 4 sp; 68 GTO Convt, owner built 455 and TH400; 71 Javelin road race project, owner built 401, T10

post #34 of 208 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

I'm reassembling the door hardware which was removed by the painter. Can someone remind me whats going on with the strikes attached to the body @ B pillars?

A, B, C bolt thru the jamb to the threaded steel piece behind (more on that in a minute).

I see no threading on E and in fact it doesn't appear on the parts illustration either - but in looking at pictures of my car pre-disasembly, there is clearly a fastener there.

D on the other hand is clearly threaded on the female piece but obscured by the strike.

Name:  photo (3).jpg
Views: 780
Size:  39.0 KB

My car pre-paint:
Name:  DSC_0543.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  59.5 KB

Is there some means of attaching the female threaded piece to the body that I'm missing? I see no rivets or threads on this piece but there are sheet metal tabs that very loosely locate it. Is it simply pulled tight by the screws, like a big nut?

Name:  photo (2).jpg
Views: 799
Size:  88.2 KB

post #35 of 208 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 05:50 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
..Is there some means of attaching the female threaded piece to the body that I'm missing? I see no rivets or threads on this piece but there are sheet metal tabs that very loosely locate it. Is it simply pulled tight by the screws, like a big nut?

Attachment 934946
Exactly, the tabs simply hold the backing plate in position for assembly. Once the bolts are tightened things can't really go anywhere...it's essentially all sandwiched together to the B pillar.

I don't have the later GTV, so I can't say with certainty that there were 4 bolts originally. On the two previous 1750GTV's that I owned there were only three bolts. Here's mine now...

Name:  img 049.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  39.8 KB

That said, if 4 bolts are what is required, perhaps you need to switch the backing plate to the opposite side?

Rossano

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 1750 GTV
1976 Montreal

Last edited by 1750GT; 01-04-2016 at 05:53 PM.
post #36 of 208 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1750GT View Post
That said, if 4 bolts are what is required, perhaps you need to switch the backing plate to the opposite side?
Brilliant idea... but didn't work =). Nonetheless I have the door hardware assembled (sans 4th bolt for now) and am proceeding to test fitting the door seals. I bought a set of aluminium door seal retaining channels and remembered their fit being slightly odd in places. Can someone take a pic of their car and tell me:

Do the channels ever show a gap as seen below, or do they hold tight to the flange on the body?

Is it right that the channel above the hinge overlaps the rain gutter molding slightly?
Attached Images

post #37 of 208 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 01:39 AM

you are doing fine. A slight gap is acceptable.
As the hinges: us versions have four bolt holes of which three are used as in the backing plate , the fourth has a pop rivet in the hole. Don't ask me why. I've a US GTV here with exactly your setup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #38 of 208 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

That is a beefy pop rivet! Could have been a last minute DOT fix? Who knows. Thanks for confirming, I appreciate that. Don't like lingering mysteries.

post #39 of 208 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 04:09 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Just another confirmation for you in the thread below which shows the same striker.

Rusty GTV floorboards

Daveydog's is a 74 GTV as well....so it would seem that the later GTV's definitely had the 4 bolts and as mentioned in the noted thread....there is a rivet installed in the fourth hole from what Daveydog stated.

Rossano

1969 1750 GTV
1976 Montreal
post #40 of 208 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks - great link - it points to the part of the process I'm in the middle of. Interesting that he mentions enlarging the holes in the channels exactly where I saw them pulling outboard from the flange. Tonight I'm going to check the horribly rusted original channels to see what type of relationship they have.

post #41 of 208 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Scott - yes a picture would be great, it'd be interesting to see if anyone else has seen that caulk. It would be surprising to me if it were original, but who knows.
Sorry for the delay in getting pictures.

You can see it on the gas tank flange. It's gray. At this point, I've scraped much of it off, but haven't done a detailed cleaning.

IMG_4568_zpsadhpobbm.jpg Photo by sd_walters | Photobucket

Another pic.

IMG_4577_zpsdaypb1zz.jpg Photo by sd_walters | Photobucket

Here's the caulk after I scraped it up with my fingernail.
IMG_4578_zpsrbqhl7rs.jpg Photo by sd_walters | Photobucket

72 GT Junior, Amaranth Red/tan; 66 Fairlane GT convt, 428, 4 sp; 68 GTO Convt, owner built 455 and TH400; 71 Javelin road race project, owner built 401, T10
post #42 of 208 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Can someone tell me what holds the European style front indicators to the body? I don't see any fastener sized holes on the bodywork nor parts diagram. Does the rear piece go behind the sheet metal?
Attached Images

post #43 of 208 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 11:29 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
There is supposed to be a hole on the inside of the cutout. See this photo: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/atta...1&d=1198632345

Ignore the extra hole on my RH side ... that has since been welded up
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #44 of 208 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

Appreciate it Pete.

You don't happen to know about the difference in bumpers from the USA (indicator under bumper) and Euro (indicator in body) cars do you? From browsing the internet and parts diagrams it seems to me there is a slight depression in the Euro bumper to allow the indicators to clear it - any other differences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
There is supposed to be a hole on the inside of the cutout. See this photo: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/atta...1&d=1198632345

Ignore the extra hole on my RH side ... that has since been welded up
Pete

post #45 of 208 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 01:24 PM

No, no additional holes. The sidelights have specially shaped "washers" that hook behind the bodywork and thus fix them in place. I'll try to find a picture...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode