Alfa Romeo Forums banner

High dollar GTV2000's on ebay

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  kcabpilot 
#1 ·
#2 · (Edited)
I think those are priced insanely high, fairly frequent on ebay. There was an S3 Spider recently priced in the $40's.
A friend of mine's widow sold a really nice (not concours) 74 for $29K recently. BaT auctions had one a while back that sold in the low $30K range recently, if my memory serves me.

#3 ·
I have been told of a couple of private sales of 2000 GTVs that were higher than these eBay listing prices. They were for "best of the best" restorations.

I have no idea if the cars on eBay fit that description or not.

#4 ·
Red one looks like cosmetically refreshed at best with some shoddy upholstery work. Beige one is shown on lift using floor pan rails and trailing arm mounts as jack points. Both appear to be riding high, maybe it's the wheels? :whistling:

#5 ·
Red one looks like cosmetically refreshed at best with some shoddy upholstery work.
Sills/rockers are wrong and have been replaced at some time. Beige one has the correct looking sills/rockers.
Beige one is shown on lift using floor pan rails and trailing arm mounts as jack points.
Where many workshops would lift these cars. Trusting jacking points requires bravery.
Both appear to be riding high, maybe it's the wheels? :whistling:
Or how they were originally as we are so used to seeing them lowered now :)
Pete

#6 ·
the red one: poor rear seats upholstery, rusted gas tank, rusted reserve wheels, no OE EX headers, etc....

Beige one: very poor rear bumper fitting, front bonet gaps not right, same as doors, "INEZIONE" bagde put incorrectly?? (not sure about this) finish of front fender lip to front valence wrong.

My own Conclusion: for that top money, I will walk away

#7 ·
For some time I've been noticing high dollar restored GTV2000's on ebay. Asking ain't selling but this seems to be something of a trend. Can anyone comment?
I'd bet that the sellers are applying the logic: "If early 70's Porsche 911's are selling for six figures, then my Alfa GT is worth at least $___". Whether this is true is debatable, but it does seem clear that vintage sports car prices are in a bubble.

Incidently, today's edition of "Sports Car Digest Weekly" has a nice editorial on Porsche pricing:

We are often asked how much longer the "Porsche fever" will continue. In other words, are we in the midst of a bubble and, if so, when will it pop? To answer that, we encourage a visit to our 'Behind the Scenes' gallery from Porsche Rennsport Reunion V. With a record-breaking 57,531 avid enthusiasts in attendance, it's clear the fever is as much about the community as it is about the remarkable cars. Outside of any larger economic malaise, we feel this Porsche fever will continue as long as events like Rennsport Reunion fill venues like Laguna Seca in ways the Monterey Motorsports Reunion could only wish.

For the whole article, see: 10-08-2015 - Sports Car Digest Weekly - October 8, 2015

#13 ·
I guess you guys are right. I dug up that old photo and it's hard to tell from it. I think it's just the big wheels and low profile tires that are throwing me off.

Now the question is, if you are doing a restoration on a 1974 GTV who would restore it to that years US DOT mandated ride height?

#11 ·
For the record I wasn't implying what they're worth one way or another. Unlike the 911 world where there are sales and discussions galore, there aren't a tremendous number of 105 coupes let alone 2000's sold with verifiable prices so I figured I'd throw these out for discussion.

#15 · (Edited)
I personally wouldn't touch the red one as the sills/rockers have been poorly repaired and just look horrid, and need to be redone.

I quite like the cream one but yeah both doors gaps are a shocker. Bonnet and bumper fits look okay to me ...

Regarding ride height the red one looks high but the cream one looks okay to me.
Pete

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.