Swedish -65 GT restoration - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 06:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedeshoebox View Post
Yes Alfaholics have the handles and buttons, but they sell them with keyholes in both buttons! original was keyhole in just the driverside!? if im right?
You need a key in both buttons. Original GTA's only had a key in the drivers door button, but how they locked the opposite door I don't know.
I bought Classic Alfa's kit, with only one button with a key hole.

After scratching my head for several weeks to see if I could fabricate something to make the lock work on the non-drivers door, I gave up, and bought another full kit, then sold the buttons with no key facility. Painful way to go, but turned out alright in the end.

Steve

GTA R
Giulia Ti Super Rep yet to finish. BMW 2000 NK to Ti spec
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 06:44 AM

Garage
[QUOTE

Also bought a grill!
Im absolutely not an expert but can it be a stock GTA grill?[/QUOTE]

No, that's a Giulia saloon grille, and it's way too thick (deep), It can be made into a GTA grille by slitting all the way around it's width to make it about just over half that thickness.

I did exactly the same thing, with exactly the same grille, after carefully marking around it.

Did it with a cutting wheel in the Dremel, turned out very good, and about half the price of a repro, monkey metal lightweight GTA grilles available now.

GTA R
post #48 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 10:38 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Giulia Super grilles cannot be turned into perfectly fitting GTA replica grilles. I have a couple of real ones, NOS, not cheap ..........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to all parts I have advertised on the BB so far. Plenty more! Just ask.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #49 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 10:40 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA R View Post
You need a key in both buttons. Original GTA's only had a key in the drivers door button, but how they locked the opposite door I don't know.
I bought Classic Alfa's kit, with only one button with a key hole.

After scratching my head for several weeks to see if I could fabricate something to make the lock work on the non-drivers door, I gave up, and bought another full kit, then sold the buttons with no key facility. Painful way to go, but turned out alright in the end.

Steve
You should be able to fix that with the Giulia saloon rear door mechanism.
You lock and the door from the inside by moving the opener forward.
post #50 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 12:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Giulia Super grilles cannot be turned into perfectly fitting GTA replica grilles. I have a couple of real ones, NOS, not cheap ..........
That's exactly why I went down that route Alex !

GTA R
post #51 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 12:16 PM
Platinum Subscriber

The gap is only noticeable if you realllllly know what you're looking at. By and large it makes no difference at all, but these details can become important. Sorry for the slight thread hijack.

Last edited by Alex; 11-12-2016 at 12:19 PM.
post #52 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA R View Post
[QUOTE

Also bought a grill!
Im absolutely not an expert but can it be a stock GTA grill?
No, that's a Giulia saloon grille, and it's way too thick (deep), It can be made into a GTA grille by slitting all the way around it's width to make it about just over half that thickness.

I did exactly the same thing, with exactly the same grille, after carefully marking around it.

Did it with a cutting wheel in the Dremel, turned out very good, and about half the price of a repro, monkey metal lightweight GTA grilles available now.[/QUOTE]

How thin are they supposed to be? I thought the giulia sedan grilles had a different cut in the bottom, and that they have like slots on the sides and was about double height then this one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
The gap is only noticeable if you realllllly know what you're looking at. By and large it makes no difference at all, but these details can become important. Sorry for the slight thread hijack.
Do you have any pic showing the difference between a modified Giulia saloon and GTA grille?

Alfa 1600 Giulia Sprint GT 1965. Alfa 159 SW 2007.
Ford Roadster 1936. Ford Kustom 1950 "The New Panoramic Ford".
post #53 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 06:10 PM
Platinum Subscriber

See here and here for photos.

post #54 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 07:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to Erik
Re seat belts. As far as I'm told fixing points for seatbelts didn't come until around 1967/8. But it might not be correctly.
My ex Spider 1750 S2 1970 had fixing point standard. It had no belt when I bought it in 2005. I bought a set from one of the British classic Alfa parts shops - the box was marked Austin Allegro - my body shook (I was once an Austin etc dealer).
post #55 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 07:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
Re seat belts. As far as I'm told fixing points for seatbelts didn't come until around 1967/8. But it might not be correctly.
My ex Spider 1750 S2 1970 had fixing point standard. It had no belt when I bought it in 2005. I bought a set from one of the British classic Alfa parts shops - the box was marked Austin Allegro - my body shook (I was once an Austin etc dealer).
Weird, my '63 Giulia Ti Super Rep started life as a CKC South African 1600 Ti from new, and has original seat belt mountings.......

Steve

GTA R
post #56 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 07:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to Erik
Maybe it variates according to marked. My Spider was build and first sold in Italy in September 1970.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode