seat foam for flying buttress seats? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 06-18-2007, 03:01 PM

seat foam for flying buttress seats?

i'm looking at fixing up the seats in my u.s. spec. '69 gtv, and the
driver's side foam is pretty ratty. i think i've seen some seat foam
for spiders...anyone out there wrestle with this before? advice?

thanks much,

john
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2007, 12:08 PM

Foam for FB seats

roller:

I have been watching this thread, because I am about 1/2 step behind you on reupholstering the flying butress seats that I am fitting into my '65 Sprint GT. My sense is that replacement foam simply doesn't exist, and that your upholsterer is going to have to shave standard foam to fit.

From what I've heard about reupholstering FB seats, the foam will be a small part of the ordeal. These babies aren't easy to re-cover properly!

What are you doing for upholstery - World, or custom-cut? My upholsterer looked at the seats, and said that he would rather cut out the vinyl himself.

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-19-2007, 03:30 PM
Gold Subscriber

Jay....did your guy quote you a price for this?...I too will need to redo my FB's and I was thinking that the World Upholstery seats look pretty good....but from a photo how can we tell?

...visit my thread...afrench-blue-69-gtv-restoration
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-19-2007, 05:31 PM
Platinum Subscriber

When I had my Euro seats done he preferred to do the cutting / sewing himself. The gentleman was a 70 something European. Because of the complex shape, he ended up having to do some of the sewing by hand. He swore he would never do another one
Alfa Dogs #13
Oakville, ON

74 GTV Race Car, 73 GTV
Old 06-19-2007, 05:42 PM

My flying buttress seats were done by an upholsterer in Boulder CO some years ago. He hated working from patterns, saying they were more work than doing the seats from scratch. Needless to say, he did mine from scratch.

Lawrence
Old 06-20-2007, 08:31 PM

guys;

i haven't heard anyone say anything bad about world. my upholsterer is swamped and says he'd just as soon put something pre-cut on.
he was saying the foam-cutting might be an expensive part of the deal.

if i settle on black, i can do the front seats in leather (with perforated on the inside), and the rear in high-end vinyl to same some $. i'm likely to leave the door panels and rear side panels in vinyl anyway.

any other thoughts?

john
Old 06-21-2007, 08:30 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I'd go with what your upholsterer advises you to do. If he's OK with prefab, go for it. I have no personal experience with World, but read a great deal of good things about them. As for door and rear panels, I would definately keep them vinyl

Currently no Alfas in the stable

Previously:
'76 Alfasud Ti/'75 GT Junior/'87 Alfa 33
'91 Alfa 75/'95 Alfa 164/'79 Alfa Spider '69 Euro 1750 GTV, '67 Duetto, '84 Spider Veloce
'91 164L
Old 06-21-2007, 09:31 AM

thanks peter.

i'll keep folks posted on progress. it would be entertaining to
show you pix of the seats as they are now. the driver's side looks like someone let a wolverine loose in the car.

john
Old 06-21-2007, 10:14 AM

Kits or from-scratch for seat upholstery

1750GT: I do not have a $ quote for re-doing my FB seats. My car came into the upholsterers as a painted shell on a dolly, and he is still working on headliner/ carpets/sound insulation/dash + the various vinyl that glues to the door edges of a Bertone coupe. Once that's done, the shell will come home for reassembly, and the upholsterer will move on to the removable components: seats, door panels, etc. Once he does do the seats, the cost for those will get lumped into the total bill, so I won't have a break-out. I'm probably happier not knowing.

From my experience, upholsterers ALWAYS prefer cutting their own vinyl, rather than installing kits sewn up by others. This is not a knock on World or anyone else. I'm sure that much of the upholsterer's motivation is having more of the work done in their shop, so they can charge for it. But also, I can believe that an ill-fitting kit would be more work to install than something that was put together from the seat dimensions. And, that ill-fitting kit might not be due to a screw-up by the supplier - if the seat has been re-foamed, or just had its original foam compress, then the pre-sewn kit isn't going to fit very well.

Another advantage of having the upholsterer sew up your seats is that you are ensured that the same material is used on the seats, door panels, dash top, ... Sure, you could send World a few yards of the vinyl you are using, and have them make up their kits from that (of course, they would tell you it was too thin, too thick, too cheap, ....) OR, you could buy extra material from World for use on the doors & dash (and have your upholsterer tell you that it was too thin, too...). Usually, it's best to keep things simple, and just let the upholsterer do it all.

The lore is that every upholsterer who works on FB seats swears that they will never do another, or will jack up his quote for the next pair.

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 06-22-2007 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:34 PM

thanks jay.

i'll definitely take that into consideration.
anyone out there use the fb seat kit from world?

john
Old 09-23-2008, 11:10 AM
Gold Subscriber

What about Re-Originals seat kits? I understand they come from the original Italian suppliers
for the FB seats. Any had any experience with these?

Hey roller...how'd the seats turn out then? any pics available?

...visit my thread...afrench-blue-69-gtv-restoration
Old 10-05-2008, 05:44 PM

I have a 69 GTV with original FB seats. I obtained replacement covers from what was alfahurtienne about 4 years ago. The upholstery shop here in the the Chicago area was able to very nicely recover the seats using these covers. He also did restoration work for a Ferrari shop in his area, so I felt comfortable using him. He also installed new carpeting, made a rear parcel shelf, covered the center console, made a new shift boot, made up head restraint covers(these were not in the kit as it was a European kit, as the European seats were slightly different), and installed a dash cover. Cost was roughly 3k plus the cost of the carpets and covers (approx 1000 at the time). A good upholsterer will be able to make new foam pieces as necessary, install new webbing as necessary, etc. Ask the local restoration shops who they trust and recommend and then pay the price. Good work is worth the cost! "Cheap Charlie" it and it will show.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.