Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Battery Tray- 1966 GTV

8K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  not2old4toys 
#1 ·
I'm restoring a 1966 Sprint GT Veloce with a really corroded battery tray. The base was rusted beyond saving, so I bought a replacement from Classic Alfa. What I received is the gray primer base shown in the photos.

Is there a "correct" way to attach the old vertical shroud onto the replacement base? Did I even get the correct base? Thanks in advance.

Chris

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Chris, no, that base is incorrect. I will try and find pics of mine. Pancho on this forum had bases made for his. I was lucky and found a nos tray a few years ago.

Attachments

#3 ·
Chris,

Others will have better photos to add, but all I can say for now is that does not look like the tray in my '65 GT. My tray has the shroud and the tray as one piece, effectively. Mine had a little corrosion so I drilled out the spot welds attaching it to the inner wing and the brace underneath, cleaned it up and refitted using riv-nuts for ease of maintenance. CA should not be selling that as a correct replacement, IMHO.

#4 ·
Photo of my reference car (1965 gt) Disregard the po built rust repair in the bottom of the tray.
Vehicle Auto part

#10 ·
Just degreased and bead blasted. Then a light coat of Seymour's Alumi Blast paint:

ALUMI BLAST® - Seymour of Sycamore

It's practically indistinguishable from freshly blasted aluminum but seals the metal and lends some anti-corrosion protection. Easier to clean, too.

Chuck

Attachments

#13 · (Edited)
I do not think that a GT/GTV tray has that extra indent. There are three different part numbers listed for trays used across the range.
Early GT/GTV part number is 105.14.50.068.00.

#17 ·
1750 Tray for Sale

Thanks for everyone's help on identifying the correct tray and a contact to get one fabricated. Tim at Zoo Autocraft made one for me and hand delivered it from New Zealand to Sonoma Raceway at the GTA event a few weeks back. The BB is an invaluable resource!

The brand new 1750 battery tray from Classic Alfa is now for sale. PM me if you're interested in buying one that doesn't have to be shipped from England.

#20 ·
Wolf Steel also has a metal battery box. Comes in 2 sections so you need to weld together. Not a perfect match, pretty close though. About $85 USD
Cheers, Jon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.