AFrench Blue '69 GTV Restoration - Page 80 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1186 of 1200 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 09:29 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1750GT View Post
All I can say is that that is what was on mine. Here's an earlier photo of mine showing the upper piece that was broken off early on during the teardown phase the project.
Thanks for the confirmation, Rossano. Mine were missing when I bought the car and I assumed the longer version was for the stepnose dash. I bought a set of the shorter version but, unfortunately, this means I need to start the search again.

Brad
'69 Series 1 GTV (105.51)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1187 of 1200 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Finally got to the completion of the pedal box assembly. I started out with quite a mess.

Name:  100_5658.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  120.0 KB

Bead blast everything clean, re-zinc plated the zinc (courtesy yours truly), repainted the pedals and installed all new rubber pads.

Name:  ped_fren 001.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  56.6 KB

...new rubber stop plugs for the support were acquired from Cicognani..

Name:  ped_fren 003.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  52.5 KB

...very happy to get this assembly installed.....finally...

Name:  ped_fren 006.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  83.2 KB

Name:  ped_fren 011.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  57.0 KB
PSk and ossodiseppia like this.

Rossano

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 1750 GTV
1976 Montreal

Last edited by 1750GT; 03-16-2017 at 07:42 PM. Reason: removed chrome plating reference.....no chrome on these
post #1188 of 1200 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 06:00 AM

Looks great!
I'm curious what you use to do the zinc plating?
I had tried the Caswell kit with very little success.

post #1189 of 1200 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 06:38 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorktownman View Post
Looks great!
There is a ton of DIY info out there on zinc plating. Look on Youtube for videos.

Brian __________________________________

post #1190 of 1200 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorktownman View Post
Looks great!
Yes I'm using the CASWELL kit. At first I too was not having great success, but after a bunch of trial and error tests....I have it working very nicely. The sequence that I found to work best (in addition to the basic CASWELL instructions) is the following;

1. glass bead blasting the parts just prior to plating...followed immediately by.....
2. a 3-4 second pre-dip in a dilute sulphuric acid bath....followed immediately by a distilled water rinse....then
3. into the plating bath (temperature at min 80 deg F)....for 8-20 minutes (time depends on part size..)...followed immediately by a distilled water rinse....then
4. dip into the Chromating solution of choice (Black, Blue or Yellow Dichromate) for 4-5 minutes...
5. followed immediately by a distilled water rinse....and heated drying.

Sufficient use of the Brightener solution was also something that I had to experiment with....taking care to calculate the correct plating voltage is also important. Plating is definitely a task that just cannot be rushed that's for sure.

Rossano

1969 1750 GTV
1976 Montreal
post #1191 of 1200 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 08:51 PM

Sounds like I need to persevere!
Thanks for the tips ...
post #1192 of 1200 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Snookered again! It seems every new phase of this project has been frought with delays...

Take a look a the carpet that I picked up just before christmas. The spacing of the slots for the petals is not only too wide (at 2.75-3.25"....s/b 2.25").......

Name:  tap 005.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  91.7 KB

...they're also not parallel to each other.......this makes it impossible for the pedals to move freely as the rubber grommets provide way too much resistance to the motion of the petal.

Name:  tap 010_renamed_5608.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  88.7 KB

The supplier (CA) says they've never had any issues with any of these before. How is that possible? I always thought that the petal boxes were pretty much unchanged from the 1966 -1969's? Thankfully they were quite willing to take back the full carpet set.....but I now need to resource a correct carpet set. Has anyone else encountered a similar issue with the fit of these carpet sets?

Problem 2......the dashboard I was so excited about previously does not accomodate the throttle and start lever assembly......and instead of a black color...it's a dark gray. Here too CA was amenable to taking it back......so this is a caution for those contemplating buying these 2 major products from CA. They don't really fit the 1969 US model GTV correctly.

Name:  CA 005.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  65.0 KB

Name:  CA 004.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  65.9 KB

Rossano

1969 1750 GTV
1976 Montreal
post #1193 of 1200 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:00 PM
Gold Subscriber

I've had the occasion where I've run into the same situation and wonder why I'm the only one, at least that's basically what they're telling me, who has had but thought there must be others who have had an issue with the product. They do take it back though. I really wish they would have detailed and accurate images of the specific product. Who wants a grey dash when black is the original? Are your original carpets grey? Doesn't look like it meets up the the tunnel very well either but that may just be the photo. A little frustrating.

The passenger seat is 15 miles an hour faster than the drivers seat.

currently
74 GTV restored daily driver
71 Berlina in resto
the ones that got away:
1959 750 series Giulietta Spider Veloce
1962 Giulietta Spider normale
1965 Giulia Sprint normale
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
post #1194 of 1200 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:00 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #1195 of 1200 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:33 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1750GT View Post
Problem 2......the dashboard I was so excited about previously does not accomodate the throttle and start lever assembly......and instead of a black color...it's a dark gray.
I had noticed the lack of the hand throttle mount on CAs dashboards. Bertelsbeck carries the correct dashboard with hand throttle mounts and two holes for the blinkers. I'm not sure what the shipping would be, though.

Brad
'69 Series 1 GTV (105.51)

post #1196 of 1200 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeTree View Post
I had noticed the lack of the hand throttle mount on CAs dashboards. Bertelsbeck carries the correct dashboard with hand throttle mounts and two holes for the blinkers. I'm not sure what the shipping would be, though.
I'll look into them thank you. Shipping from the Europe has not been an issue for me (about the same as from the US for large items such as these). My only other fall back would be to have mine repaired at Just Dashes (no longer a cheap solution though).

Rossano

1969 1750 GTV
1976 Montreal
post #1197 of 1200 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Second problem to resolve is the carpet. The ones I'm seeing from other Euro vendors...are more or less the same as what I currently from from CA. World upholstery's seems to be correct....but before I commit to buying, i'd like to know if anyone with a 1969 US model GT or Spider has bought the WU carpet kit and is happy with the fit?

Rossano

1969 1750 GTV
1976 Montreal

Last edited by 1750GT; 03-23-2017 at 01:45 PM.
post #1198 of 1200 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 08:08 PM

Is WU's molded?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'73 GTV bare metal project
'87 Carrera 3.2 Daily - '65 912 project in waiting
post #1199 of 1200 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
No...it is segmented.

Seat Upholstery, Carpet Sets, Interior Panels, Headliners and Rubber Seals for Alfa Romeo Giulia (105 & 115 Series) Coupes from World Upholstery & Trim

I would love to hear from someone who's actually fitted a WUH set on a 69 GTV before committing myself (again) to a purchase.

Rossano

1969 1750 GTV
1976 Montreal

Last edited by 1750GT; Today at 08:44 PM.
post #1200 of 1200 (permalink) Old Today, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
These photos shows quite clearly the differences between the pre 1969 (left photo) and a 1969 US 1750 GTV (right photo...courtesy Vytas). I sent these to Classic Alfa to put to bed once and for all that yes....there is a difference in this particular carpet section for the 1969 model year. Most likely it would be attributed to a difference in the pedal box configuration itself.
Attached Images

Rossano

1969 1750 GTV
1976 Montreal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode