Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Engine Timing Question

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  dfrye 
#1 ·
I have just fixed a blown head gasket but cannot get the **** thing started. It is popping in the carbs and appears to fire but so as to fight the direction of the starter (ie when it fires, the starter stops and has to wind itself up again).

All in all, it looks like an engine timing problem. I was careful not to disturb the timing while the head was off, but its possible something happened. So I've got the #1 lobes pointing away, but I've got 3 timing marks on my crank pulley (see attached - there is another one too). Even allowing for this, the only adjustment will be one hole on the inlet cam.

How can I be sure which pulley marking is correct? Put a dowel in #1 and find its high point?

cheers,

dean

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
How can I be sure which pulley marking is correct? Put a dowel in #1 and find its high point?

cheers,

dean
That's exactly what I did. The previous owner started a water pump swap, but didn't finish it. I couldn't find the pointer anywhere, so I had to start from scratch. Used some coat hanger wire to make a temporary pointer until the new pump gets bolted.

#8 ·
After rebuilding my motor i got it out by 180 at the dizzy. after half an hour of head scratching, i turned it around, and it started first time :D

Edit - I also had firing in the carbs, and that made me think the timing was way wrong

#10 ·
Maybe you should get another clamp? I've never had this happen on an Alfa. Fiat 850s were famous for spinning distributors 30 years ago, and points that wouldn't stay where you set them. I haven't had this problem with Alfa Bosch or Marelli distributors though.
Andrew

#12 ·
Which nut, on the horizontal clamp bolt, or on the vertical hold-down stud to the front cover?

You have a lock washer, and/or a lock nut? Or you can double-nut it (the hold-down stud at least), which I did on a Giulia TI, now that you've jogged my memory, when the nut backed off and the dist popped out at 75 mph on I-5 20 years ago. That shuts the engine off pretty quickly.

Andrew

#13 ·
Sounds like the distributor is 180 out. When you have what you think to be TDC on no.1 shine a light down into no.4 and you should be able to see the edge of the exhaust valve open below the spark plug hole. Mullet has it right, check, check and double check. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.