67 Stepnose - getting it back on the rd - Page 5 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 12:49 PM
Gold Subscriber

More pics
Attached Images

Eliseo Carrillo
105.30....Scalino
101.23....Little Green Spider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 03:36 PM

Wow! Nuff said.
post #63 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 06:03 PM

Very nice.

obviously you are now mobile, and I see no brake booster - what setup did you adopt, and are you happy/what is your experience with the results?

post #64 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 07:15 PM

Fantastic!

1973 Spider, up and running and smoking . 1966 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce, $500 junk yard find. I probably overpaid...(not really).
post #65 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 07:45 PM

I'm at this stage in my renovation and wondering if you can elaborate on how you got the carpet down. Would like to hear which pieces you used adhesive vs fasteners on - especially the ones that need to follow contours like the long pieces that tuck under the stainless steel sill covers and those over the tunnel.

Looks like she came out nicely - awesome build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpc655 View Post
Carpets going jn

'73 GTV bare metal project
E30 Daily - '65 912 project in waiting
post #66 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:33 AM Thread Starter

Morning, I didn't take a resto approach - so first off don't forget that!

I put down some sound / heat shield first which stuck to the floor. I then painted over that and then used carpet adhesive to put the carpet down. I needed a lot of heat to mold / shape things but i think that's always true. I've done carpet in a few different cars and it never sits down perfectly.

One thing i would NOT do again is paint the heat shield. I did that so that i woldn't see the shiny stuff in any carpet gaps. That aspect worked - but the adhesive didn't stick very well in the end. If i were to do it over, i would only paint the edges black and leave everything else unpainted.
post #67 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:29 AM

Gotcha. So you used plain old carpet adhesive from the hardware store, and aside from the paint lifting from the heat barrier, it was a good solution?

post #68 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by r-mm View Post
Gotcha. So you used plain old carpet adhesive from the hardware store, and aside from the paint lifting from the heat barrier, it was a good solution?
I just went through reattaching carpet etc in my 64 Scalino its not cheap but this stuff is bullet proof even over paint http://www.lsh.sg/product/3m-super-77-spray-adhesive/
post #69 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:47 AM

its even less cheap but so far I've used 3M's "Super Yellow Trim Adhesive" and its been very good at bonding dissimilar materials and has a nice controllable spray pattern and builds up thick rather than soaking thru. Absent other advice I'd probably use the same on the carpet - it just occurred tome that maybe plain carpet adhesive would be better.

post #70 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by r-mm View Post
its even less cheap but so far I've used 3M's "Super Yellow Trim Adhesive" and its been very good at bonding dissimilar materials and has a nice controllable spray pattern and builds up thick rather than soaking thru. Absent other advice I'd probably use the same on the carpet - it just occurred tome that maybe plain carpet adhesive would be better.
As stated elsewhere...I don't think carpet, at least the pieces under the seats, should be glued down. If it ever gets wet it is much better to be able to remove and dry/clean.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode