Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Don't need another Hobby 1974 GTV...

69K views 268 replies 44 participants last post by  roadsterswap 
#1 · (Edited)
OK, I may grow to regret this as I have way too many hobbies....

Just bought this.

1974 GTV. Not much for now, I think it was red new. Rusted but does run & drive ok.

Dash is not cracked. Glass looks good. Complete car.

I plan on doing some of this myself, and have a $25,000 budget. Paid $4,000.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Pics of the Rust. Already started the tear down. The front floor is more solid than the giant hole in the rear. Wife has already complained about leaking oil in the driveway. Little does she know what is coming.

I've worked on cars, but never something like this.

What I liked about this car is I knew what I was in for. The rust has never been patched or hidden. (hopefully) Trunk doesn't have any rust. Only covered rust was from a fender bender on the right rear quarter.

Attachments

#6 · (Edited)
Rust not as bad as expected. Appointment with body shop in 3 weeks, so need to get this thing torn apart. I'm taking my time, labeling things so I know how it goes back together.

Placed order with Alfaholics today for body parts, wheels, interior, etc...

Excited about the GTA 15x7 wheels I ordered.
Think I need to raise my budget to $30,000 now.
PHP:

#8 ·
Think I need to raise my budget to $30,000 now.
PHP:
I realize that you (like many here) are probably a glutton for punishment... because you know you could have bought an exemplary example for $29-30K right? Oh well, you'll have more into it than that when you are done, but also lots of memories shared with your son (priceless!). Keep up the good work and keep posting photos! Bring it to the National Convention in 7 months!!!

#9 ·
I could just have bought one. That's no fun. I have 3 others cars I just bought. I want to get my hands dirty... I open the hood to my BMW M3 and can't even see the engine.

This one will be mine, the way I want it, and I'll enjoy doing it...

Think I'll paint her white. original was red.

Don't remember where I grabbed this picture from but it's hanging on the garage wall for inspiration. Anyone know who's this is. I would like to know the tire size.

Attachments

#13 ·
Dwatsonkc, Good luck with your restoration and welcome to the ABB. Good choice in rims, I just bought the 15''x7'' Superleggeras with 29mm offset last year. The white GT in post #9 is a good looking car with a nice stance and wheel tire combo. It has been posted on the ABB in the last year and there was some discussion on tire size on that thread. They look to be a tall chubby tire if the rim is 14''x 7'' I think the tire is 195/70 or fatter.

#17 ·
DWatsonkc, best of luck with your GTV. It will be a great father/son project. Let me know if you need help/parts. I'm just over in St. Louis, and have some extra stuff from 1750 and 2000 GTV projects.

#18 ·
Thanks. I may take you up on that. I'm feeling ok for now on the body/rust/interior thing. The engine does run ok but may just have it all redone, and may need some help with someone who can do that. I understand there is an active Alfa club in Kansas City that I need to hook up with this spring.

#20 · (Edited)
Have the car about ready for the body shop. Started to clean and polish trim. Looking good with a few steps.

1. Clean
2. Sandpaper. 2 grits
3. Wet sand 600/800
4. Clean
5. Buffing wheel 2 polishes
6. Hand apply metal polish

Now just need to keep them from getting scratched over the next few months

Photo shows one just cleaned ready for sanding, 2nd is the finished product. Can't touch them cause it leaves fingerprints.....

Attachments

#22 ·
Great choice on white - I'm going the same way.
Also bought a car for about what you paid and have budgeted roughly the same... but I'm doing much of the metal work myself so I think I have a hope of staying in that budget!

My advice: get it blasted. You need to find someone who has worked with classic cars but it will give you a much better idea of where you stand and I believe, increase the value of the restoration. Good look and keep pics coming.

#23 ·
Nice shop! Looks like someone has done a bit of woodwork in their past.

If you need to bone up on any of your auto restoration skills, consider taking one of the week-long summer classes at McPherson College in central Kansas. I took their sheet metal restoration class in the summer of 2011 and can highly recommend it. I've since been accumulating tools and upgrading the garage to prepare for taking on the body work of my GTV.

Good luck!

#25 ·
Wow. Got a bunch of boxes today. Alfaholics shipped Monday and its already here. 3 of 4 boxes anyway... Hope the 4th one isn't lost.

The wheels are awesome....

Attachments

#30 ·
Carpet looks great. The tumbler I can't wait to use but they shorted me the cleaning compound. The buffer works great. I bought a kit and a stand from harbor freight. Works much better than a drill. Polishing chrome, stainless, and aluminum is now fun!

Attachments

#35 ·
Looks good, the two new ones I bought for my car started loosing green paint which btw faded rapidly within a year of purchase. Did the same but with Testors model paint and they seem to be holding up. Good luck and press on regardless!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.