Alfa Romeo Forums banner

changing colors

9K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  1sgen 
#1 · (Edited)
hello everybody , as you can tell i am all new to the alfa scene but to cars at all , i have recently purchased my very first alfa gt 1600 veloce that is darker green and as much as i love the car , i hate the color , my question to you is should i just wait and see if i get used to it or should i just change the color since the car will be needing bodywork anyways. i know keeping the original color always retains value , but what about if the original color is green. im sorry if im sounding hateful towards green , just looking for advice.
oh by the way what is the wheel bolt pattern .
thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
There is not a clear-cut answer to that question - 10 people with have 15 different opinions.

My own recommendation is to paint your car any color you want. My only caveats would be:

- The Alfa community isn't as obsessive about originality as say the Porsche community, so if you re-paint it a color that was available from the factory in the year your car was built, it shouldn't make much difference in its value.

- If you re-paint the car to a non factory color, then the car's value will be impacted. How much it will be decreased will depend on how wild the color is (avoid metallic pink!). Also if you plan on competing in concours, a non-original color will cost you points.

- If you are doing a color change, then do it right. An Alfa should be body color under hood so you need to pull the engine, wiring, steering, ... to do a proper color change. The trunk should also be body color. You should also remove the glass, side windows, bumpers, grilles, and much of the interior to make sure there isn't thin strip of green visible.

#3 ·
Especially if you re-paint the car to a color that was available from the factory in the year your car was built.
I second this! There were so so many amazing colors from the factory, please don't paint it Ferrari Fly Yellow! And for what it's worth, I'd never think twice about buying a well-repainted car as long as the color was available from Alfa. I would not in a million years buy one in a non-factory color. I've been told that factories would also commonly offer paint colors from other models as special requests - so if you're looking for something a bit wilder, check out Montreal colors.

I'll also say that if I go back and read my posts from the week after I bought my car... I would not agree with many of my own ideas. Live with it and see how you feel. I love the color combination you have.

I think the GTV has an amazing ability to take very subtle color combinations and make them feel very sporty, yet restrained. It is really amazing. I'd advise you to go thru the "how about pictures of 105's" thread in its entirety, save pics that really catch your eye, and keep coming back to them.

Welcome!

#12 · (Edited)
Yes, for example, you'll find that the PDF attached to this post is a complete rip-off of this AlfaBB thread without giving credit to where it came from (I originally posted it to help Simon raise funds for AlfaBB but all that language has been removed in the PDF).

#6 ·
Paint

My .02
It all depends on what your plans are. If you intend to sell the car in the future, it's probably best to keep the original color or at least stick with an Alfa factory paint code that is period correct.
If you plan to keep the car and enjoy it for a good number of years, I would paint it with a color that would make you happy and excited whenever you see it and drive it.
Bottomline, you want to satisfy yourself and be happy with your car and your creation.
To each his own...who cares what others would say. You can't please everyone no matter how good a color and paint job you have.

#8 ·
i was thinking darker shade of silver or light grey, i always liked silver or grey with red interior.
what about bolt patterns on the 67 gt. 4x108???
also what is the difference between US delivered and euro delivered ones . i am sorry if iam flooding you with questions , im just trying to learn more about these cars

#10 ·
Just as a data point, I've had two cars that I bought despite disliking the color (both blue). In both cases it grew on me. That's a pretty nice looking green IMO and my guess is that if you leave it long enough you'll be happy with it.

But if your really want to change it, as long as you get the job done right it shouldn't hurt anything.

#15 ·
well the more i listen to you guys , the more i think i should be leaving it alone and see if i get used to it , oh and im looking to keep it and enjoy it.
but what about my 2 other questions , the euro delivery vs us delivery and bolt pattern?'

#17 ·
There are several threads in this forum that discuss the differences between European and US delivered cars. Just do some searches and you should find what you're looking for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.