Slight confusion mounting front grill- ? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 05-11-2012, 08:29 AM

Slight confusion mounting front grill- ?

Today, I finally got my Alfa running after first buying it a year ago. Once I was able to drive it out of the underground garage- my first thing to do was to install the 1750 grill from Alfaholics (Beautiful piece by the way).

The PO had a 2000 grill fitted on the car, and after removing it, I kind of got stuck there trying to figure a way to mount it.

I've read a number of threads regarding this, but I believe my car is missing something. Especially the part(s) which hold the upper grill. Any clue as to how I should go about this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2012, 10:42 PM

There is a bracket that comes down for the 1750 Alfa shield to screw into that is missing on your car. There are other tabs that the mesh on either side attach to that are also missing. Look through some of the threads where people are restoring the bodies or reassembling their cars for photos.

Regards,
Lawrence
'02 Audi S6
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-12-2012, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgowin View Post
There is a bracket that comes down for the 1750 Alfa shield to screw into that is missing on your car. There are other tabs that the mesh on either side attach to that are also missing. Look through some of the threads where people are restoring the bodies or reassembling their cars for photos.

Regards,
Lawrence
Thanks Lawrence! I actually did look through a whole bunch of rebuilds, ~30 pages a rebuild, to no avail. It seems people just put the grill on and then take photos.

I keep reading that there is a very long screw that holds the top portion and threads into the shield emblem, can't really find any photos though. If anyone has a photo of said brackets, I can really use an idea as to what to fabricate.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:02 AM

I'm sorry I don't have any closer photos - if nobody else replies before next week I can probably take some better.

Here's one of our nose prior to resto:

Here's one in paint:

This is a 1968 1750 GTV mk1.

We replaced the nose panel in this restoration - supplied by Classic Alfa. You can see the tabs also in their photo here:
ST008 GT front panel - 1968-77 - Classic Alfa

Although I think the bracket for the 'heart' grille had to be re-attached.

hope this helps...
Old 05-12-2012, 09:34 AM

evanbottcher, thanks so much for the photos really helped clear things up! (along with reminding me I need a new front end, great transformation btw)

Incidentally, while I was searching some more, I found this photo from 156GTASelespeed's build. In the encircled blue regions, just to be sure, the one at the top is the bracket (that houses the long bolt). I'm a bit confused as to how the grill stays in place, the bolt runs through the bracket, through the ''heart grill''- then what? do I fasten a nut at the end of the bolt? Are the bottom two tabs for the spring located at the bottom of the ''heart'' grill? or are they for the side grills?

One more question, does the ''heart'' grills outer/front portion fit in flush with the bonnet nose? or is it slightly receded inside the body?

Last edited by jasburbak; 05-12-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-12-2012, 03:11 PM

The one circled at the top is the bracket we refer to. On the heart at the top there is the recess for the alfa badge - behind this is a single hole for a countersunk screw. From memory the bracket has a captive nut, but you could probably get a nut behind it.

The bottom fixing for the heart is a clip. On my car there is a single clip that fits into a small (a few mm square) square hole below the bottom lip. This is just visible in one of my photos above.

This is the heart:

Later hearts had a two-pronged spring clip that sits into the recess behind the heart. I don't have a photo of that.

The other tabs (actually slots) are for the four side grille sections - two long ones each side of the heart, and two small sections between the headlights. There are 16 slots. The slots on my car were fitted with speednuts like this:

I can't help you too much with the correct depth - from memory it's fairly flush with the top, I'll have a look for some photos.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:37 PM

Wow, that's perfect! All the information I needed to get the job done, thank you so much! Looks like i'm going to have to fabricate a bracket and weld it underneath the nose. If you do get the time, for the "heart" grill's mounting depth, that'd be great!

Once again, thanks for effort mate
Old 05-13-2012, 06:07 AM
Trained Professional
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Hoping that the attached pictures may provide some guidance on the bracket placement. There is a 'captured' M6 x 1mm nut in the bracket that receives an ovalhead (or flathead) phillips head screw that's (guess here) 30 or 35mm long.
Note that there are two different grilles pictured above. The difference is the method for the bottom attachment. Yours is the two clip version while Evan's is the single clip. The two clip version clips onto the sheetmetal behind the grille and the single clip fits into a hole in the front valance.
Attached Images

Series 1 Euro 1750 GTV
Series 2 USA 1750 GTV
Old 05-13-2012, 09:01 AM

Oh, now that's just amazing. I was planning on eyeballing the bracket placement and measurements relative to the shield on the photo's, but your post just made my day! Thanks so much Jim!
Old 05-16-2012, 05:41 PM

Ha I just noticed Jim's photos. I took a couple also to help... a bit redundant.

One of the photos shows the aperture below the grille which the single hook fits into for retaining the bottom of the heart. As per Jim's advice - this sounds like it's NOT the same on your car, but I thought I'd point it out for reference.

[Edit: dang - I forget my iphone photos come out flipped on this website sometimes (the software must ignore the exif tags when resampling?). You'll have to turn your laptop/monitor on it's side/head.]
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2012, 09:26 AM

No such thing as redundant when there's more photo's to indulge in . Thanks again for the effort, now I pretty much can't go wrong . Yup, mine is the double clip so it fits behind the sheet metal nicely. Thank you Evan!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.