Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1970 1750 GTV S2 Euro Rolling Restoration

98K views 459 replies 62 participants last post by  gigem75 
#1 · (Edited)
How To: Duty-Free Shipping of Classic Car Parts for Canadians (adamsautosport.com)
This thread will become a diary of the work I do on the GTV as well as drives that take place with others or by myself.

Posting a bunch of new photos of my S2 Euro/Canadian GTV to show off the new 15'' ET29 Superleggeras. Plus all the other work I have done to it in the last 6 months of winter. GTA rims, 205/60/15 Sumitomos, Imasaf exhaust system complete with 55mm GTA rear stinger with a bit of performance finessing, with new hangers and bushings, new brake pads all corners, stainless braided flex brake lines, new clutch slave and master and stainless flex hose, Odyssey PC680 battery. Took it out for its first 2-hour drive of the season. Wheels and tires excellent no rubbing, no pulling, smooth and quiet, lots of grip, easy to turn the steering wheel even at a crawl. (I am not sure why people complain about bigger tires and harder steering effort? My other 3 cars have power steering and I don't notice a big difference.?) The exhaust is perfect sounding for the street in my opinion (not too loud, but a lot sportier than the 3 resonator original system). The tailpipe buffs up to look like brushed stainless. The brake pads are Jurid front and Ferodo rear (that is a whole story on its own). Still have my high tension ignition wires to install. Had to move 2 of my other cars out of the garage/way to get my Alfa out of storage.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I have always wanted to change the mirrors, in fact I have 2 OE chrome ones ready but it will involve paint work as the bases are different size and shape.
I reposted in the GT forum in the Sticky: ...photos of 105GTs..., and in the Picture room forum in the Sticky:.. post a pic...

#5 ·
I have always wanted to change the mirrors, in fact I have 2 OE chrome ones ready but it will involve paint work as the bases are different size and shape.
Any one know if this thread can be moved to the more appropriate GTV section?
I reposted in the GT forum in the Sticky: ...photos of 105GTs..., and in the Picture room forum in the Sticky:.. post a pic...
Great looking car Brad. Suggestion for the mirrors; would you perhaps consider making up a small polished 3mm aluminium "adaptor plate" to the shape of your existing bases, so you can fit the OE mirrors but negate the need to repaint doors for a while....just a thought.
PS; I promise I wont get grumpy with you for posting in the wrong section; you have realised the mistake and asked for it to be moved....
Cheers,
Vince.

#6 · (Edited)
Vince, That is a good idea, I was thinking about loking into something like that. Also thought of painting the mirrors silver, but I think it's more that they are not the correct mirrors than they are black.? The other question if I repainted the doors would I put on 1, 2, or 0 mirrors?
Just went to the garage to measure the different bases, the black bases have a footprint on the door in the shape of a rectangle with rounded corners measuring 34mm x 85mm. The round Alfa chrome mirrors have a base and gasket that is a long narrow oval somewhat tear drop shaped 27mm x 113mm. So I could make up an aditional base for under the Alfa mirrors gasket out of a semi hard black plastic?

PS. You may not get grumpy about my posting error but other are, and will. Lets not post any more here and let this thread fade away into the back pages. Maybe a moderator can delete all 7 posts ? PM me if you have any comments advice or want to scold me, don't make a post #8 it will just bring this thread back to the top of the GTA forum.

PSS. As you may or may not be able to notice, I am not posting any new posts on this mistake of a thread. But I can add comments in this post #6 by using the EDIT button. Thanks for the compliments to all that have posted. I have removed both door mirrors and tried to tidy and touch up the paint at the mounting points. I think I will just mount the round Alfa mirrors and not worry about the creases and marks on the paint at that location, the car was painted over 30 years ago so it definitly is not perfect and has many minor paint flaws. I went out for another drive yesterday and took some more photos without the mirrors, I will post them in the picture room forum in the sticky and/or the GT forum in the sticky. PSK, I will have a look at the door gaps but not sure how to move the right door forward unless there are shims to remove at the hinges?

PSSS. UlrichGTA, By posting you have resurected this thread and brought it back up to the top of the GTA Forum.!?

PSSSS. giamba, By posting your complaint you have brought this thread back up to the top of the GTA forum.

#96 ·
Pete, Check out the door gap on the front edge on the 1st photo in post #93 with the owner sitting on the hood. Looks like that gap has always been a little big.

#13 ·
Believe me I am pretty pure about alfa originality , but I gotta say I like the mirrors. Kinda edgy. If the rest of the car was really incorrect, they would reinforce the kludgy impression, but here it looks like a choice to pop off the paint color and match th interior.

#21 ·
I would like to thank the Moderators for moving this thread out of the GTA forum into the GTV forum. This is where I had intended to post, but obviously made an error in my initial post. I have replaced the black door mirrors with round Alfa chrome mirrors, and yesterday I installed new spark plug wires. I will post pictures when I get a chance to take some.

#22 ·
First photo, mirrors removed, the other 4 have both the round Alfa mirrors installed.

Attachments

#23 · (Edited)
Engine bay photos AR00548*E0037*

Took some photos of the engine bay, after installing my new ignition wires and tidying up the engine bay a bit. Anyone see anything missing ?

Attachments

#25 · (Edited)
Jim, Got the PC680 in the trunk and I have one of those ignition wire holders some where but I don't think it would work to well with these chubby wires. My next big expense will likely be reuphoulstering the seats as my drivers seat back is gettig rough.
As far as the exterior goes I wouldn't mind some new c pillar badges, and always thought it would look better without bumperettes but that would mess with the originality.
PS I have removed the fan schroud and left the distributor covers rubber top cap off.

#30 · (Edited)
Original Dellortos. Fan shroud removed for 1/2 HP increase. The euro fan had a broken blade so I shortened the rest to match and balance. Waited on the mirrors cause I needed encouragement from the ABB gang. (the black mirrors were on the car for over 30 years I was just used to them, the Mustang wheels looked ok in a rough and tumble hot rod way?) Anything else I should change or improve?