How to rebuild GTV 2000 Seats - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 12-20-2011, 06:00 PM

R-mm,

Those Italians were full of tricks...I think that is what make learning about these cars so fasinating...

I'll be in your position some time this winter as this is one of my chores as well...

I will most likely be looking at a Shoulder Bolt to replace this rotating member fastener...here's an example from McMaster Carr...
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 06:09 PM

Headrests

Part 3: Headrests

I got my hog ring pliers (very nice...plus they came in a day with free shipping, can't complain) and I performed my first act of actual upholstery. Here are the steps I took to reupholster the headrests.
Attached Images

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2011, 06:10 PM

Headrests con't

final steps.
Attached Images

Last edited by r-mm; 12-20-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-20-2011, 06:12 PM

Thanks again - looks like a good solution. Based on the existing fastener, I think this guy will do the trick. I haven't removed the existing fastener to measure the diameter of the hole which appears to be 5mm, but it can always be enlarged to accept the 5mm shoulder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfCity Alfa View Post
R-mm,

Those Italians were full of tricks...I think that is what make learning about these cars so fasinating...

I'll be in your position some time this winter as this is one of my chores as well...

I will most likely be looking at a Shoulder Bolt to replace this rotating member fastener...here's an example from McMaster Carr...
Attached Images

Last edited by r-mm; 12-20-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:41 PM

While I'm waiting for my foam to arrive, I'm taking a look at the metal parts of the seats. As mentioned, I several of the metal 'teeth' snapped off as I unfolded them. Any advice on what to do to replace them or their function? I would love not to turn this into a welding project.
Attached Images

Old 12-22-2011, 11:26 PM

You could drill holes in the metal, and use hog rings or zip ties to fasten it. Since it's underneath nobody will know.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:15 PM

Back at it

I'm back at it. And wrote a long preamble to my latest post only to loose it. So the short n sweet:

I put the seat bottom and back covers on and off a few times and think I have some good ideas at this point but could use any ideas you all have. I'll start with the more complicated bottoms.

Regarding tying the knots that tension the poles... I think zip ties are superior to nylon string, but they are difficult to use on the seat bottoms as they would have to be very long and would be harder to pass thru the thicker and come complex cushion. they are a no brainer for the seat back, which I'll post about later. Slip knot images and tips from this site: Andy's Most Useful Knots

The writeup starts with the reinstall because there is nothing special about taking the existing covers off besides not ripping the foam and retaining the 3 metal poles.
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2012, 01:16 PM

remaining steps
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2012, 04:23 PM

Front seats done

Here are the results...

I think some of the fine creases will relax with time and a few days parked in the sun.
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2012, 05:11 PM

Looks great!
Old 02-05-2012, 07:50 PM

Question

I'm working on the rear seat back and it seems that there are no pole pockets for the 4 wires that run "east west" across the seats. The old covers were pretty deteriorated but it did seem that there were some sorts of pole pockets in them. Did you all just run these pole thru the "north south" pole pockets, such that they are only supported at two points per rod?
Attached Images

Old 02-29-2012, 07:31 PM

Still hung up on this one...

Take a look at the old seat covers. The "e/w" poles were held captive in the seat cover throughout their length. (this part basically disintigrated, but you can see it in the first pic)

The new seat covers don't really have a provision for this. Is this how you all installed these poles?

Any words of wisdom?

EDIT - I borrowed a Pic from Daveydog's thread to show how these poles were originally installed... thru the (very weak) inner layer of fabric on the seatcovers.
Attached Images

Last edited by r-mm; 03-03-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:19 AM
Gold Subscriber

r-mm, Yeah the back seats are a bit more of a hassle to re-cover than the front seats I found. Check out page 24 ,reply 349 on my "rusty gtv floorboards" thread in the restoration section (page2). You can see the steel wires run through the fabric east-west and north-south. My new seat covers didn't have the holes cut in the material so I had to do it myself. Just be careful when you're sliding the wires through that you don't pop out through the other side! That'll really make you burn.
It takes a bit of time but you're doing a great job so far and I know you'll be able to figure it out once you view the photos I took.
Good luck! and keep the photos coming. We all love photos!
Old 03-03-2012, 11:22 AM

Thanks Davey - I think I LITERALLY had the idea to revisit your post the same second you posted this. Glad you clarified that you did indeed replicate the factory setup. Although it does seem like a really odd setup compared to the propper E/W pole pockets found in the front seat covers...

Going to give this shot today and will post pics.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:04 PM

Davey one more for you...

There is a very long E/W rod on the top of the rear seat back. There looks to be a pole pocket in the appropriate place on the new searcovers - but it is a "blind" pocket that is sewn closed (i'm pointing at it). Did you have to cut an opening to insert the pole thru this hole?

PS there's a chance I reversed my directions ie the pole might be on the bottom of the seat back not the top...
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.