Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Shocking question

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Lokki 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am doing the suspension on my 74 GTV. I have Dave Rugh springs f&r ( his stuff is big in the Oregon and Washington chapters). He recommends Bilstein shocks over Koni's - also says that his springs were "designed as a system" with Bilstein's in mind.

Any suggestions, preferences, comments ?

Thanks,

Dan

#2 ·
My thought

I've never heard of those Dave Rugh springs, but once you install them post a picture I want to see how they sit. I'm disapointed in my springs probably going to get new ones soon!

As far as Bilsteins go. I think there better for the bigger cars Audi, Milano, Bmw etc. As Santo's (my mechanic) said to me "I personally think Bilsteins ride to stiff on a GTV". I'm riding Koni's there lovly and there adjustable, stiff in the front soft in the back!

p.s. Your in Valencia not far from northridge where Santo's Italian Car service is, he has good deals on Koni's, his number is (818) 701-1614.
Oh yeah if you read this by 1/11/03 or 1/12/03 early mouring you should head up to WillowSprings, huge Alfa event, get some advice from others suspension setups.

#3 ·
Sniady is correct

Bilsteins ride to stiff, have them on my 64 Scalino 1600 GT, springs are Shankels switching over to adjustable Konis....

Reactions: Antonio105
#4 ·
Here is a table of spring rates from various makers including the Rugh springs.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/att...4-105-115-spring-database-spring-database.xls

I have a friend who has bilsteins on his GTV and IMHO they are -very- stiff. He likes them, as he feels they suit the character of the 'GTV as racecar' meme. For a street/track car they probably make sense, and that is probably what Rugh has in mind for his spring/shock package. For a street car.... the shocks with IAP Reds (I can't speak to the Rugh springs) are beyond "firm" and well into "stiff".

#5 ·
Rhoddy Harvey Bailey set for Bertone with Bilstein

Hello Dan,

I have a Rhoddy Harvey Bailey suspension set under my 1974 GT 1300 Junior. Ik makes the roadholding much better but the ride could be a little stiff for purists. I don´t mind because I want to feel what the Bertone is doing.
With this set, Bilstein dampers for Giulia 105 series were fitted.

Ciao, Olaf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.