Can I adjust a 105 door lock to suit an existing key? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 06-10-2010, 09:06 PM

Can I adjust a 105 door lock to suit an existing key?

I have no idea when it comes to locks, keys etc., but if I wanted to get another door handle with a key lock with no key, is it possible to have that lock adjusted to suit a key that I have? Would any locksmith be capable of that job?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2010, 02:29 AM

Hi Derek,

I had a locksmith do exactly what you're asking many years ago for my 1300TI. As far as I am aware a good locksmith should be able to make a key to fit a lock without keys or repin a lock to fit an existing key. Good luck.

Ciao for now,

Bill.

'66 giulia super
2007 147JTDM
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2010, 04:30 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to bshorey Send a message via MSN to bshorey Send a message via Yahoo to bshorey
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa2go View Post
I have no idea when it comes to locks, keys etc., but if I wanted to get another door handle with a key lock with no key, is it possible to have that lock adjusted to suit a key that I have? Would any locksmith be capable of that job?
Yes you can. You need to remove the door handle, remove the tumbler mechanism, and inside you will find four or five tumblers, spring loaded. You can shuffle the positions of individual tumblers to fit the new key.

A couple of notes. First, it's easiest to remove the tumbler mechanism if you have the proper key installed. Otherwise, the springs will cause the tumblers to fly all over the place.

Second, you might find that you don't have the right combination of tumblers for the new key. In that case, you can actually leave some out and it will work fine (but the lock will be easier to pick, if you worry about such things).

Use the new key inserted into the tumbler mechanism to insert the mechanism back into the door lock.

HTH,

bs
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-11-2010, 06:19 AM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshorey View Post
Second, you might find that you don't have the right combination of tumblers for the new key. In that case, you can actually leave some out and it will work fine (but the lock will be easier to pick, if you worry about such things)
Or, leave the offending tumblers and using a jewelers file, and with the key in the slot, file down the protruding part til it clears properly, in effect making a 'new' tumbler matched exactly to the given key.
ghnl's '82~'89/Series 3 Spider L~jet diagnostic page
as hosted by
Greg Gordon's HI Performance Store
& OK Injectors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.