Rear Brake Rotors - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 02-04-2010, 01:09 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Rear Brake Rotors

Any suggestions concerning removal of rear brake rotors? I intend to replace the splash shields and must first remove the rotors and the caliper brackets as well (?). Currently stuck - rotors will not budge. Any experience/hints? The car is a '66 Sprint GT, Ate brakes. Thanks.

jim c
Yorktown, VA
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2010, 01:47 PM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

This is not uncommon. Got the small attaching screws out? After that wiggle, pry from side to side, gently beat, apply heat, WD40 on the hub, where it's likely corroded, etc. Failing all that, you can pull the axles out completely with the disks installed, them get at them better removed.

Andrew
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-04-2010, 02:14 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Thanks Andrew - Screws are out. Axel out seems a bit scarey to me.

jim
Old 02-04-2010, 02:19 PM

Disconnect the handbrake cable at the inner end, remove pads and caliper and hold safely out of the way (supporting hyd tube), remove the four 17mm nuts on the backside of the backing plate, and yank, by hand or with slide hammer on lugnut adapter. Voila!, axle will come out as a unit. Replacement "is the reverse of removal." You can change the oil seal at that time (inboard of the bearing) if you feel like it, or leave it if it's not leaking.
Andrew
Old 02-04-2010, 05:30 PM

The rotors tend to corrode at the hub and at the lugs, 'though the hub is usually a tighter fit. Liquid Wrench or light kerosene is a bit better than wd-40.

Be sure to fully retract the inner parking brake drum shoes. There is usually quite a rim on the inside edge of the parking brake drum, so you really have to retract them a long way.

Robert
Old 02-09-2010, 01:26 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Rear Brake Rotors

Rotors are off (!), but now another question. What is procedure for removal of the splash shields? Do I have to pull the axles ? or can I remove e-brake assembly and clear the 4 retaining bolts? There are 2 rather stout springs as part of the e-brake assembly that appear to hold the shoes in place. Must they be removed (somehow?) to disassemble the e-brake shoes? Tanks again.

Jim Cross
Old 02-09-2010, 01:29 PM

Remove the four 17mm nuts holding the bearing/e-brake carrier and the splash shield comes off the back, right? Thinking mental picture; don't have book in front of me.
Andrew
Old 02-09-2010, 01:47 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Rear Brake Rotors

Andrew - The splash shields are mounted between the axle flange and the e-brake backing plate (?) / caliper bracket. I have removed the 4 nuts. My parts manual shows e-brake details but it is not clear if the axel has to be pulled to finally remove the splash shields
jim
Old 02-09-2010, 01:53 PM

Then yes. I just couldn't remember. Jank the axle/backing plates out, then remove the splash shields. Watch out for dripping 90W.
Andrew

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.