73 GTV Buildup - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 359 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

73 GTV Buildup

Afternoon,

I thought i'd start a thread about my GTV buildup. I took delivery of the car on saturday and everything arrived as planned, as promised! (thanks John!) It was a bit nerve racking taking the car off the top of the carrier with a forklift (props Rich). Sorry, no pics of that.

After getting everything home and unpacked the first thing i realized was that there are no directions! Must've gotten lost on the journey from the west coast. My basic plan is to build this car as era correct as possible so that eventually ('10?) i can take it vintage racing. This is my first time building a GTV but I think this car makes a good starting point due to the amount of knowledge and parts availability out there. I also considered 944's, MG's, or even another Austin Healey. My last race car (AH-100) was not the best starting pt, but that was more due to the particular car i chose as it had a 58 corvette drivetrain implanted into it!

I'm hoping to use BB to ask for advice/updates etc while i move forward. I've already been in touch with a few shops, racers and other alfista's while putting together my build plan, but i'm sure it will evolve with time. As with most, i'm on a limited budget and will be a bit constrained with my intent to keep this car street legal, but it's doable. Speaking of which, i know of a few good sites for race parts (new and used) but if anyone out in alfaland is looking to sell any 105 race parts..let me know! A basic list of what i'm gonna try to start accumulating is...wheels, susp parts, seats, cage, cell, header etc...

Here's the car as it arrived and now put away in my (far too little) garage.

First step, get it up off the suspension and finish stripping the car!.....
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 359 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 08:06 PM
Good to see another GTV in Motown! Sure wish we had pictures of the removal circus!

If you need a spring compressor for the front suspension, let me know - you can borrow ours.

- Rich D.
I like Alfas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 359 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 08:42 PM
Gold Subscriber

Looks like a fun project. Keep the photos comming!

post #4 of 359 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpc655 View Post
I took delivery of the car on saturday and everything arrived as planned,..... My basic plan is to build this car as era correct as possible so that eventually ('10?) i can take it vintage racing.
Is that a twinspark engine I see in your photos? A twinspark in a GTV would make for a neat driver, but seems to contradict your plan to build the car "era correct" as well as to vintage race it.

I would recommend checking with your local vintage race organizers to see what modifications are allowed - I'm no expert, but would doubt that engine swaps are allowed.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #5 of 359 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
Is that a twinspark engine I see in your photos? A twinspark in a GTV would make for a neat driver, but seems to contradict your plan to build the car "era correct" as well as to vintage race it.

I would recommend checking with your local vintage race organizers to see what modifications are allowed - I'm no expert, but would doubt that engine swaps are allowed.
Yup, TS.

I'm in touch with a few organizations to determine what classes are possible to run in with this setup. Worst case i could run the mechanical FI...or sell the TS and source a 2.0.
post #6 of 359 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 05:29 PM
Gold Subscriber

junglejustice old car?

if you want to sell the TS let me know...

thanks
post #7 of 359 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 07:37 PM
Gold Subscriber

I have just aquired a 2liter in very good condition, perfect for a good build. When and if you get to that point pm me if you want to work out some kind of trade.
post #8 of 359 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

I'm still planning to run the TS. I shold be able to race, it just may not be against vintage cars exclusively...may have to be more of a late model class. But that's alright, i'm gonna build the car i want! Or maybe the car alfa should've built!

Next steps are to get it off the wheels and strip it completely. Any lesson's learned on building a dolly? My plan is to use the 4 jacking points and get it up about 18 inches off the ground.
post #9 of 359 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Weekend work

I didn't get too much done this weekend, however i did knock together a dolly and start pulling the wheels/susp off. The castors are a bit small but home depot didnt have that many choices. Also, It looks like i'm gonna have to do a little more bodywork then planned but i'd rather find that out sooner then later! Next weekend it's off to Omaha but i should be able to get back on things the following weekend. There's just not enough time in the day!
Attached Images

post #10 of 359 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 05:17 AM Thread Starter

Update

Morning,

After a long weekend of wrenching, the chassis is almost completely stripped. The suspension came off without too much hassle. I plan on reusing most of the suspension bits so it was important not to destroy anything. I got the engine yanked too and with everything out i finally got a really good look at the tub. Overall it appears pretty solid however i did find quite a bit of filler in the usual places. There must've been at least 4 different coats of paint on this car too! One of the previous owners made an attempt at fixing the DS floor and addressing the rust but it was more of a bandaid than a true repair. Time to get my welder fired up!

I was planning on stripping the entire tub myself but given the risk that i miss some repair i think i may take it somewhere to get it dipped or mediablasted. ..hmm...
Attached Images

post #11 of 359 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 09:54 AM
Gold Subscriber

I should have been so lucky! That chasis is in great shape compared to what could have been!
post #12 of 359 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigem75 View Post
I should have been so lucky! That chasis is in great shape compared to what could have been!
Mediablasting proved to be too expensive...so Aircraft remover it is (followed by select grinding/scraping)!

The more filler i grind off it's becoming clear that it's not there to cover up repairs necessarily but more for just smoothing lines. That's a nice surprise. The steel is revealing itself to be pretty straight..albeit under a hell of a lot of paint and filler! So far i've seen silver, blue, brown and of course red..and that doesnt include all the various layers of primer!

It took 2 liberal applications of Aircraft remover to get it down to bare metal on the front fender, but that stuff works well. i highly recomend it.

Last edited by kpc655; 05-14-2009 at 01:14 PM.
post #13 of 359 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 05:15 AM Thread Starter

Here's a few more pics. In addition to the aircraft remover, i got some "rapid strip" pads from home depot that work great. They go on an angle grinder and attack paint (and filler) but won't hurt the steel. I'm going to go ahead and order the floors from Wolf as he has the best prices, i'm not too concerned about originality. Any thoughts on floors out there? Are wolf's good?
Attached Images

post #14 of 359 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 12:57 PM

A lot better condition than the race car I started with, and am finishing now.

Where are you? I'm in Ann Arbor, just finishing a custom wiring harness, and still need to trim the car before installing the engine. Wow. When I think about it's it's not that much more...

Eric
post #15 of 359 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 03:32 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpc655 View Post
Here's a few more pics. In addition to the aircraft remover, i got some "rapid strip" pads from home depot that work great. They go on an angle grinder and attack paint (and filler) but won't hurt the steel. I'm going to go ahead and order the floors from Wolf as he has the best prices, i'm not too concerned about originality. Any thoughts on floors out there? Are wolf's good?
Great pics, thnaks for sharing! Looks like you have a 1750 front clip welded onto a 2000....I have it the other way around....wanna trade???

Peter

Currently: '65 Giulia TI

Previously:
'76 Alfasud Ti/'75 GT Junior/'87 Alfa 33
'91 Alfa 75/'95 Alfa 164/'79 Alfa Spider '69 Euro 1750 GTV, '67 Duetto, '84 Spider Veloce
'91 164L

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode